Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

800px-1953_wide_tie.jpg

I hope to be this guy one day

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It's not my look, but I think a big reason these ties in the pictures work so well, is that vintage ties are able to retain the smaller or moderate sized knots that are balanced based on the ties' bottom widths. Their ties are quite short to me, yet they don't look bad as most are conditioned to think in modern times, whereas attempting to do a modern tie that short would involve a large knot of some sort that throws it out of proportion. I have tried that. There's a non-chalant air to wearing a tie in the way the photos depict, and they were made shorter then as well. I like to wear my ties moderately long, above the belt or just below the last button showing on my shirt, with both vintage and modern longer ties. I do have a '40s Beau Brummell khaki military tie that is most suited to be worn short, like in those photographs, although I wear it slightly longer to near the last button of the shirt.

In this modern NBA sports photo involving newscasters, the man on the right has his knot about as wide as the bottom of his tie. It is still better than a tie down below the belt, however.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2bp1wS2Jv1qa2j8co1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
This is actually more like a 1970s or 80s tie imitating the 40s but I couldn't resist it. (If someone can offer when it may have actually been made, I'd appreciate it.)

cancantie1.jpg

DamianM that tie is all over the place pattern-wise. Pretty wild stuff. Cool!

Vintage Vendeuse, 80s or not, the chorus girls make for a very fun looking tie.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
This is actually more like a 1970s or 80s tie imitating the 40s but I couldn't resist it. (If someone can offer when it may have actually been made, I'd appreciate it.)

View attachment 15926

That's a nice tie. It does look '40s, even though it has features in common with more modern ties, like the back keeper.

The 80s were a time when you could still get something decent. There was a resurgence of the Rockabilly thing etc....

1980s ties can be quite good looking. A few pages ago, I posted a Sergio Valente tie that resembles late '50s and early '60s styles. To my eyes, it's very faithful to the art styles of that period. It's a little bit longer than my actual '50s and '60s ties, but I still do not need to do an extra knot to use up the length like almost every modern tie.

Late 1920s

10425349_693240870711393_5018174259822374895_n.jpg

10494845_693240854044728_225725526619449838_n.jpg

I like this one, too. How did you find it, online, or at a thrift shop?

Today's Tie in the Field: 4-1/4" Cohama California Swagger

008-8.jpg

Very good, how did you get this tie?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran