Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

donCarlos

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
Very interesting. I wonder why they were made like that so late. Cheaper to make? Locality? Culture? Perhaps the war and rebuilding? Old tie patterns and machinery easier to find?
Whatever the reason, they are nice ties.
I guess it has something to do with war a later communist prohibition of everything western. I have already noticed that czechoslovakian clothes (including ties) in 1950´s were more than similar to what I see here with 40´s label on it. Not bad for me though :)

edit
Dinerman Cow you say? When I first noticed that head, I thought "horse", when I looked more closely, I thougt "a sheep with a bridle". But cow???

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
This little hereford bull earned the title of the ugliest tie at a contest a while back...

tie-1.jpg
[/IMG]

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
Not by a long shot. But with the subject matter of the pattern, I can see why that one went way up.

This is truth. Really, it depends upon the item, the seller and the buyer (on ebay specifically). If the seller doesn't know, it'll go cheap (usually).

Just last week I got a '30s tie at Goodwill for less than $1. In excellent condition, too. In the last 2 months I've scored on twenty '30s ties, on average $1 each.

YETI

A-List Customer
30s neckties weren't so desirable 10+ years ago, especially during the resurgence of the swing craze of the mid - late 90s. They were too short and didn't have the same pizazz and boldness of ties from the late 40s to early 50s. IMHO 30s ties look classier and give a more sophisticated look.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Feraud said:
Is this a Llama?

No, but this is. The tie has men, Llamas, and birds. Look at the lining. I think this tie may have been a homemade one. Length and cut say '30s or early '40s.

IMG_0384-2.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

funneman

Practically Family
Thrift Stores!

I've had terrific luck at thrift stores. The Goodwill in my neighborhood sells 'em for $1.50 each.

Last week I ventured into the Goodwill in the affluent Boca Raton section of South Florida and was appalled to discover they sell ties for a whopping $3.00! The Nerve! :p

I don't know about where you live, but the local Salvation Army sells ties for a dollar and it's half price day on Friday! :eusa_clap

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Another Goodwill find from today. What a crazy '40s tie! The colors are much more vibrant than the pic shows.

crazytie.jpg

jamespowers said:
I suppose the days of $10 for 30s ties are long gone eh? :(

I would say $10 is absurdly high for your ordinary everyday 30s or 40s tie. The zeppelins one, coming from that seller, it's unsurprising how high it went. People get some kind of mania when they see a Chevalier auction. I would say that his stuff gets at least 25% extra just because it's a Crosby Square piece. Nothing wrong in that at all and good on 'im; it's just an interesting phenomenon which holds true for several other of the better sellers.

bk

MB5

One of the Regulars
My quest for a matte black tie was completed recently when I picked up a lot of black ties (still need to clean the previous owner's pet hair off them). I could use some help dating them. Also, has anyone ever seen a "button down tie" like the first one before? It is an interesting solution to tie fly-away I was unaware of.

Smoothie Button Down Tie (Army Approved) 54.25"
DSC01657.JPG

Beau Brummel 4 Fold Uniform Tie 50.75"
DSC01658.JPG

Unmarked 46.25"
DSC01659.JPG

Uniform Tie 52.5"
DSC01660.JPG

Unmarked 47.5"
DSC01661.JPG

Unmarked w/Grossgrain 58"
DSC01662.JPG