Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

MondoFW

Practically Family
View attachment 101748
Love those! Especially the one on the far right.
Thanks! This has to be my favorite tie of all the ones I own. Goes well with this sweet 1940's black double breasted sports coat I also picked up recently. The end result is a vibrant jazzy/swing look, because the understated tone of the jacket pairs well with the loud color.

Only photo i have of it is here, frankly too lazy right now to take a pic with it paired with the hand painted tie.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180110-193630.jpg
    Screenshot_20180110-193630.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 172

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
It's been rather slow around here on the tie front. Haven't really been looking, but when I have I haven't seen much of interest. I did pick up these three yesterday,
DSCN7845 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Two gingham seersucker ascots that were locally made and a Carson Pirie Scott labeled Scottish Lambswool Tweed model. The green spot on the tweed one is just some sort of len's/sunlight refraction thing.
DSCN7843 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
One of the ascots still had it's tag and interestingly enough I remember seeing some of these in a pop up arts and crafts shop last summer. I think it may have been during some festival or other that a number of artist/craftspeople opened up a temporarily closed storefront for 3 or 4 days to display and sell their wares.
DSCN7846 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I rather like the tweed one and may try to trot it out the next time I put on something in the suit way.

Michael

It's been rather slow around here on the tie front. Haven't really been looking, but when I have I haven't seen much of interest. I did pick up these three yesterday,
DSCN7845 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
Two gingham seersucker ascots that were locally made and a Carson Pirie Scott labeled Scottish Lambswool Tweed model. The green spot on the tweed one is just some sort of len's/sunlight refraction thing.
DSCN7843 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
One of the ascots still had it's tag and interestingly enough I remember seeing some of these in a pop up arts and crafts shop last summer. I think it may have been during some festival or other that a number of artist/craftspeople opened up a temporarily closed storefront for 3 or 4 days to display and sell their wares.
DSCN7846 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
I rather like the tweed one and may try to trot it out the next time I put on something in the suit way.

Michael
Diggin' that tweed one a lot, Michael! Nice find.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Cac-tie
231ab0d5af219adfa307b3dcde3cbfb3.jpg
950a7c02c64f76d56b1e2aa43c0c3f72.jpg

Thanks Dale. I'm pretty happy with all of them. I figure that since ascots seem to be even more out of fashion than bowties I'll be wearing them a lot in the near future. Ha ha.

The Cac-ti is a truly great find. Haven't seen anything that cool around here in ages, if ever.

Michael

Oh my ... that is all sorts of awesome.
Thanks Dale. I'm pretty happy with all of them. I figure that since ascots seem to be even more out of fashion than bowties I'll be wearing them a lot in the near future. Ha ha.

The Cac-ti is a truly great find. Haven't seen anything that cool around here in ages, if ever.

Michael
Thanks Bob and Michael! I was pretty stoked when I snagged it.

It's going to be right at home in my collection
0d76e1f44621f5ed3a1caab0a53207b3.jpg

MondoFW

Practically Family
Ties used to be a work of art. Does anyone know manufacturers that still do hand-crafted ties that are have the soul of these?

MondoFW

Practically Family
Did Golden Era ties not have that band on the back of the fat end that you'd loop the skinny end through to prevent it from swinging around? I'm assuming people wary of this just wore tie clips.

Upgrade

One of the Regulars
oc2xImP.jpg

I have one Sy Devore tie that has a label arranged horizontally like a tie loop, but it’s too small to hold the tail in place.

The others that have surviving labels are sewn vertically, though some could have been rotated 90 degrees to become tie loops.

Otherwise, there’s just a tiny square label with the manufacturer’s name or just the RN number sewn into the seam.

If anyone can pinpoint when the tie loop began to be sewn into ties, that might make an easy identifier for vintage ties.

viclip

Practically Family
Did Golden Era ties not have that band on the back of the fat end that you'd loop the skinny end through to prevent it from swinging around? I'm assuming people wary of this just wore tie clips.
Those loop bands are totally unnecessary when a tie is worn with a vest. Thus it stands to reason that loop bands became more prevalent as vests in particular became less popular. I've always felt that the decline of the vest corresponded with the decline of the pocket watch. By the end of the 1920s the figures for the USA indicate that wristwatches were handsomely outselling pocket watches although of course the older generation continued hanging pocket watches from their vests into the 1950s; nevertheless by the 1930s it was fairly common even for the older generation to utilize the breast pocket of their jackets to house their pocket watches rather than sporting a vest for the purpose. If my recollections mean anything I'd say that by the 1960s & certainly by the 1970s any contemporary quality tie would have the loop band to keep the skinny end from flopping about on its own. We're looking at a transitional period here of several decades from the 1920s through the 1950s, there was no magical inflection point.

Most ties from the early 50s on back had a smaller end, but not necessarily a skinny end. If you look at how they're cut and folded, they flare out to mirror the big end, and wouldn't fit through a loop anyway. Modern ties, regardless of their width, all have the same size skinny end, and It's folded straight so it will fit through that loop. It's been that way pretty much since the 70s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo