Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
Here is yet another bow tie for this thread.
1950's-1960's skinny diamond point bow tie in a red and black checker pattern. Made by Cardinal Neckwear. Fabric unknown, but feels synthetic. Adjustable to neck sizes 13 to 17-1/2.
1-1/8" at widest point.

Q67Nn15.jpg

You can see that it's slightly shaped at the knot area.
1uQZlg5.jpg

"Cardinal Neckwear, Tie Center of the World, 5th Ave., at 46th St., N.Y.C."
qReD642.jpg

q2MCySz.jpg

P0P8HtP.jpg

Below are some pictures of a listing I saw on Ebay last night. It's a mailer brochure from Cardinal Neckwear. It lists the original prices of their ties and bow ties, and states the company was founded in 1930. Photo courtesy of santafe199
ROgKSOu.jpg

M725TKs.jpg

gp9RiNd.jpg

LOLtI5l.jpg

Last edited:

MondoFW

Practically Family
Picked this up around two weeks ago. No labels, but I'm positive that it's silk.

1960's untipped repp tie in black with red and yellow stripes. 53"x2-7/8"
uTn1Klu.jpg

It has some sort of dent on the front blade. Can steam remove this dent?
jITZqtu.jpg
8SImI3j.jpg

dAREE1L.jpg

I think this tie goes well with a cardigan.
yVHvvOW.jpg
One of few ties my father kept over the years was a tie almost identical to this one.

MondoFW

Practically Family
Had trouble deciding which tie to go with for the 4th of July (on the 3rd) while at the office today. Ended up with the middle one as the length works better for my “mostly torso” body type. Dang these short vintage ties...

689dfd77fa3b759ff94d79e7aee1a4dc.jpg
Really like the tie on the very left. Is it silk or rayon?

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
Quite possibly my oldest tie in my collection. Is this from the early to mid 1930's? This tie must have been high end back when it was new. 49" x 3-3/4"
YxsCgCe.jpg

jU2zE8m.jpg

BwSyHrO.jpg

Sadly there is a pull on the front blade along with some rust colored spots. A real damn shame. :(
Well, at least I could still wear it under a vest and no one will know...

Except you guys of course! :D Shhhh...

GEny4gl.jpg

There is writing at the back of the front blade, but much of it is barely legible so I'll type it all out:
Brand: "Follow Thru, Thru Lined - Tip to Tip, by Vogue"
Store: "E.M. Scarbrough & Sons, Austin, Texas"

I also took pictures of the back to the best of my ability. The lining is very lustrous.
ZmQZAGX.jpg

OE3Yv2z.jpg

jEfIBvJ.jpg

I hope I find some more Golden Era ties so that I could wear them, and show them here.

Last edited:

MondoFW

Practically Family
Quite possibly my oldest tie in my collection. Is this from the early to mid 1930's? This tie must have been high end in its day. 49" x 3-3/4"
YxsCgCe.jpg

jU2zE8m.jpg

BwSyHrO.jpg

Sadly there is a pull on the front blade along with some rust colored spots. A real damn shame. :(
Well, at least I could still wear it under a vest and no one will know...

Except you guys of course! :D Shhhh...

GEny4gl.jpg

There is writing at the back of the front blade, but much of it is barely legible so I'll type it all out:
Brand: "Follow Thru, Thru Lined - Tip to Tip, by Vogue"
Store: "E.M. Scarbrough & Sons, Austin, Texas"

I also took pictures of the back to the best of my ability. The lining is very lustrous.
ZmQZAGX.jpg

OE3Yv2z.jpg

jEfIBvJ.jpg

I hope I find some more Golden Era ties so that I could wear them, and show them here.
A tasteful, conservative example. I'm guessing this one is silk?

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
A tasteful, conservative example. I'm guessing this one is silk?
Even though there's no fabric tag, I'm very certain it's silk. Certainly doesn't feel like rayon from that era. Feels luxurious, but it's sad it has noticable damage on the front blade. That being said, I was lucky enough to stumble upon it during a regular visit at my local Goodwill. I bought it along with an unworn 60's silver skinny tie that is also silk.

Last edited:

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
Happy Fourth of July! This 1930's striped tie just happens to have red, white, and blue, so here it is!
"Hand Tailored
Resilient Construction
Pat. No. 1,447,090
Feb.27.1923"

Originally deadstock, so near mint condition. Made from rayon. 45-1/4" x 4"

88B1Nh8.jpg

The stripes look as if they were drawn with a pencil. Very neat!
5HftZsr.jpg

S5vOd2C.jpg

4hV8Tvy.jpg

Original tag, in metallic gold color.
"Quality Cravats
Hand Tailored
Specially Constructed

True Bias
To Guarantee Longer Wear"

m1EA5UZ.jpg

J4T5Q2r.jpg

Pevky7u.jpg

The Necktie Guy

Familiar Face
On Thursday, I decided to pick up another bow tie at Dillard's, since they still have some of the USA made bows from Ted Baker. I only paid $9.37 total for this one!
"100% Imported Silk, Hand Tailored in USA."

vu7r0IF.jpg

HOw6pYE.jpg

The other tie shown is a cotton knit tie made by Rooster.

ksWOfXA.jpg

^ Really like the way the color changes on this bow tie. Just like my late 60's red paisley bow tie I posted recently.
It's nicer and more vibrant than this shiny, hot pink, and pre-tied... thing I saw at JCPenney that same day. :eek:

t53NGCI.jpg

Vl6wfjP.jpg

ezCEgl0.jpg

It baffles me just how many people buy pre-tied. I've had too many people tell me "It's too hard," while also telling me they never even tried. Honestly, if you have two good hands, you're definitely capable of tying a bow tie and other knots. ;)

MondoFW

Practically Family
On Thursday, I decided to pick up another bow tie at Dillard's, since they still have some of the USA made bows from Ted Baker. I only paid $9.37 total for this one!
"100% Imported Silk, Hand Tailored in USA."

vu7r0IF.jpg

HOw6pYE.jpg

The other tie shown is a cotton knit tie made by Rooster.

ksWOfXA.jpg

^ Really like the way the color changes on this bow tie. Just like my late 60's red paisley bow tie I posted recently.
It's nicer and more vibrant than this shiny, hot pink, and pre-tied... thing I saw at JCPenney that same day. :eek:

t53NGCI.jpg

Vl6wfjP.jpg

ezCEgl0.jpg

It baffles me just how many people buy pre-tied. I've had too many people tell me "It's too hard," while also telling me they never even tried. Honestly, if you have two good hands, you're definitely capable of tying a bow tie and other knots. ;)
Agreed on the clip-on thing. I just bought my first bowtie, and i cannot wait to learm how to tie one. It really is just as simple as a necktie, i just don't do bowties. Sadly for school dances all the boys opt for clip-ons in tacky satin colors, like that pink one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran