Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Fowljesse

New in Town
Nice. Are you going to sell it on the Lounge, or another way?
I am keeping the Dali, if you're asking about it ;) I am selling the rest elsewhere, and definitely understand a policy of not advertising (especially from a newbie).
Just yesterday, I found a hand painted '40s tie at the Goodwill bins. It probably cost ten cents :D
There are beautiful ties in this thread!
The Dali is a "Fashion Craft". I don't know if they all were..

Last edited:

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Been meaning to post some ties I've gotten over the last few months.
CIMG2000.jpg

The striped tie I found among my dad's collection of '80s/'90s ties. He got it sometime between the late '50s early '60s. I refer to it as the "Tim Burton Tie". The orange tie apears to be from the '50s, and being a dog owner I couldn't resist buying this one. The duck tie is most likely late '40s. The blue hand painted tie I think is pre-WWII. It still has the Sears Roebuck price tag of $1.49. The red tie has no label and is probably from somewhere between the late '30s to late '40s.
CIMG2001.jpg

CIMG2002-1.jpg

I think that you're pretty much in the ballpark with the dates, except that the hand-painted Korry and the red tie are definitely post-WWII.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I am keeping the Dali, if you're asking about it ;) I am selling the rest elsewhere, and definitely understand a policy of not advertising (especially from a newbie).
Just yesterday, I found a hand painted '40s tie at the Goodwill bins. It probably cost ten cents :D
There are beautiful ties in this thread!
The Dali is a "Fashion Craft". I don't know if they all were..

You can sell your ties on the Lounge if you wish; I've done it, and quite successfully. Regarding Dali' ties, they were sold under different labels. Where did you find yours?

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
I think that you're pretty much in the ballpark with the dates, except that the hand-painted Korry and the red tie are definitely post-WWII.
I'm still a novice when it comes to dating ties. I'd like to know what makes the hand painted one post-war. Is it the width? I didn't realize the machine stitching look was still in use after WWII.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
^^That type of stitching is found on some post-WWII ties, particularly wool ones. In addition, the hand-painted, made in California aspect is classically post-war. Regarding the width, ties made during the Bold Look era (c.1944-52) tend to average 4", about 1" wider than typical '30s neckties. Length is also a factor, with pre-war ties usually coming in under 48", whereas Bold Look ties could get up to 52".

GoldenEraFan

One Too Many
^^That type of stitching is found on some post-WWII ties, particularly wool ones. In addition, the hand-painted, made in California aspect is classically post-war. Regarding the width, ties made during the Bold Look era (c.1944-52) tend to average 4", about 1" wider than typical '30s neckties. Length is also a factor, with pre-war ties usually coming in under 48", whereas Bold Look ties could get up to 52".
Ah good to know! Thanks!

Fowljesse

New in Town
You can sell your ties on the Lounge if you wish; I've done it, and quite successfully. Regarding Dali' ties, they were sold under different labels. Where did you find yours?
Good to know :) My girlfriend has an online vintage shop, and we're selling them there.
Here's the Dali tie story;
We were in a privately owned thrift store run by a crazy lady. She was talking with my girlfriend about having her help price her vintage, while I dug through barrels of ties. She had 5 50 gallon drums with the tops cut off stuffed full of ties, which were $3 each. You can imagine how many ties one can stuff into such a barrel, and what condition that would put them in. I found about 11 ties. It was one of the 3 last ties I found. I was getting bored, but carried on, until I saw, down through a criss-cross wad of polyester garrishness, A strangely colored sheen that seemed to glow ;) I jabbed my hand down to it, and carefully pulled it out. I for some reason couldn't wait to dig it out. I didn't even notice at the time, what it was. I just knew I liked it. My girlfriend had been politely bantering with the woman, who eventually told her flatly that she couldn't pay her to help price the vintage, and eventually, that she wouldn't have her do it at all, because she "might price the things she wanted too low, and rip her off". We were very ready to leave. As she was ringing up my ties, my girlfriend gasped, and showed me the signature.

Good to know :) My girlfriend has an online vintage shop, and we're selling them there.
Here's the Dali tie story;
We were in a privately owned thrift store run by a crazy lady. She was talking with my girlfriend about having her help price her vintage, while I dug through barrels of ties. She had 5 50 gallon drums with the tops cut off stuffed full of ties, which were $3 each. You can imagine how many ties one can stuff into such a barrel, and what condition that would put them in. I found about 11 ties. It was one of the 3 last ties I found. I was getting bored, but carried on, until I saw, down through a criss-cross wad of polyester garrishness, A strangely colored sheen that seemed to glow ;) I jabbed my hand down to it, and carefully pulled it out. I for some reason couldn't wait to dig it out. I didn't even notice at the time, what it was. I just knew I liked it. My girlfriend had been politely bantering with the woman, who eventually told her flatly that she couldn't pay her to help price the vintage, and eventually, that she wouldn't have her do it at all, because she "might price the things she wanted too low, and rip her off". We were very ready to leave. As she was ringing up my ties, my girlfriend gasped, and showed me the signature.

That illustrated the need for her help right there. :p

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace