Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Just picked this up in Seattle

e3b91611c8792d07327da0016a725258.jpg

That is a killer tie Roger!

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
As a non tie wearer for 41 years, I don't have the experience with determining vintages. Is there a good primer to identify what is what? As I mentioned earlier, I basically grab thicker or textured ties with colors I like but have no idea what is dated or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
One thing that I find is that vintage ties from the 60s and earlier generally don't have the satin lining on the back. Most of the time they have no lining whatsoever. 60s ties tend to have the back being a folded up portion of the front. Earlier ties tend to have a simple sewn corner. Length is a big thing too. Vintage ties tend to be shorter than modern ties, getting shorter (as a general rule) the further back you go. They are also much thinner, with some late 50s and 60s ties seemingly being completely "unpadded" (with some exceptions.)

Dnewma04

One of the Regulars
My first plain black tie, an Ike Behar (not familiar with this brand other than I have found a handful of nice ties from this brand), a nice blue striped Zegna, a brown tie that I liked the construction and colors and last but not least, a crazy Zegna tie. When I saw it, I thought to myself "who in the world could pull that off?" Then it hit me, Michael_A could. When he checks his PMs and sends me his address I'm planning on sending this tie his way.

cff950b09d121ef1a88d536e581ee0c9.jpg
0ee6cf9ed165d2256142adcf1e229934.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
I ran onto a few new neckties today, including a few old ones. But first this newish XMI that has the most pronounced shot brocade effect I've seen. Didn't photograph as well as it looks in person, but from different angles,
DSCN2139 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
It's very different colors
DSCN2137 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2138 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
DSCN2122 by Michael A2012, on Flickr DSCN2121 by Michael A2012, on Flickr DSCN2120 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

More of the older ones in a bit.

Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Now, from left to right, a Wembley, a NWO, a Landa and a Haband
DSCN2116 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The NWO is NOS
DSCN2117 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
On the back side o the label it says "Employment - Not Charity" and Acetate. You know anything about this Bob?
The Landa is handwoven in Peru, presumably of alpaca judging by the design,
DSCN2118 by Michael A2012, on Flickr

More in a bit,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Left to right, the square bottomed one with the horse is unlabeled, as is the next one, the green silk one is labeled only to Kay's Men's Wear in Van Nuys California, the next is unlabeled, then a Resislio labeled to Herman Kucharo of Des Moines, an Arrow, a Faultless by Wilson Bros sold by Beusch's in Jefferson Iowa, and finally another unlabeled one.
DSCN2125 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr

One more batch in a bit,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Last batch, left to right, Berkley Ties the World All Silk, a Rapson,s Rayon for National Shirt Shops (Coast to Coast, they say), unlabeled, the green geometric is also unlabeled as is the plaid woolie, then a Cheney Cravats and finally another unlabeled.
DSCN2127 crop by Michael A2012, on Flickr
The Cheney is NOS
DSCN2132 by Michael A2012, on Flickr
on the back of the label it says SILK weighted to 30% and RAYON, All Wool Lined.

Enough for now. I left a bunch of skinnies on the rack, maybe when they are half price I'll pick up a few,
Michael

Michael A

I'll Lock Up
Some real beauties in this bunch, Michael: congrats!
Thanks Matt. There are a few in here I really like, and a lot of old style lightweight constructions.

Good Lord Michael! They just keep comin'!

Don't know a thing about that Missouri organization, sorry.

Super nice finds all around!
Thanks Bob. They had a lot of cool ties out today. I left many on the rack. No doubt to tempt me again. ha ha. I might have to try to look up the NWO.

Michael

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ