Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your TIES

Jovan

Suspended
Not so much a new one, as one rediscovered.

03-25-08_0119.jpg

3.75" wide, great length at 55".

Yes, that is a chocolate syrup bottle in the foreground.

Desdinova721

New in Town
Here's my first vintage tie, or at least my first Golden Era tie:

tie.jpg

Found at value village for 2.50$. It didn't scan very well (or maybe I just don't have a very good scanner), I had to up the contrast to make it look anything like it does in person; it's a very vibrant tie. The gold thread practically glows in the dark. I love it.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
RARE!!!!!!!!!!!

Man, you found a 2 for 1 tie! I have a 30's one and those ties are really rare! I've seen them in movies some times... it's two ties in one! So, if one side gets a stain, the other side takes over!

Unique idea that really didn't take but, if you're always lookin' you'll find one now and again!

GOOD JOB FOR A THRIFT STORE FIND!!!

=R

Feraud

Bartender
Quigley Brown said:
I have quite a few of those Indian-loomed ones, too. Do you think tourists got them while heading down Route 66?
It seems likely that these were sold as tourist items either on location or at other venues as destination mementos.
Similar to buying an "I heart NY" t-shirt either in NYC or in another state.

Ties are an addiction. :)

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Unless I am mistaken, you tie it as a regular necktie. Whichever side you want plays the role of the fat side.

Warbaby said:
I don't get how it works, though - it's only 40" long and both ends are the same width. Umm...I wonder if you could tie it into a really big, goofy bowtie?

AlanC

I came across this bow tie at the thrift store yesterday ($.79).

p1012566ze3.jpg

It states "All Silk by Hut", but also the "The Original Adjustolox Tie" with patent information.

p1012569ra9.jpg

It finally dawned on my slow mind to check the patents online. Of the three listed I was able to find the latter two, here and here. They are dated 1937 and 1938. Could we then roughly date this tie as late '30s/early '40s?

I then remembered my other vintage thrift bow tie, which I've had for a year or two.

p1012574oi8.jpg

Now the patent number for "The Original AdjustoTie" brings up this patent dated March 11, 1924. That just so happens to correspond to the "3-11-24" appended to the patent number on the tie. The inventor, Isidore Wolfson, also applied for an update to the first patent in 1926, which he states was an improvement upon it.

Could this tie be dated to the mid-'20s?

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
Alan, your two thrifted bowties are very cool-it makes looking through all the bad ties at the thrift stores seem worthwhile when one finds treasures such as these, doesn't it? I don't find bows when I'm thrifting very often, but it surely makes my day when I do!

AlanC

I found this great Anderson & Sheppard tie yesterday. I don't think it's particularly old (a couple of decades, probably), but its provenance makes it interesting. The silk has a very dry hand, almost like a fine linen. It's in perfect shape ($3).

p1012649so9.jpg

p1012646vy5.jpg

Trotsky

A-List Customer
I collect ties. It's a disease, I suppose. I have more than I'll ever wear. Once in a while though a tie is found that is beyond awesome. Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge, I present to you the Dinosaur tie:

DSCF0984.jpg

It's 100% Polyester, of course. But the subdued Triceratops pattern is great, I can wear it to work and you sorta have to look close to determine what it really is. I can mix it safely with my English School Crest ties and nobody will be the wiser....

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
p1012646vy5.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Alan, I think I owned an identical tie in the early 80's. I wore it until the knot area wore through.

A fellow I worked with at the time had the habit of constantly fussing with his necktie knot. All of his ties were darkened and dirty there.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
AlanC said:
I found this great Anderson & Sheppard tie yesterday. I don't think it's particularly old (a couple of decades, probably), but its provenance makes it interesting. The silk has a very dry hand, almost like a fine linen. It's in perfect shape ($3).

p1012649so9.jpg

p1012646vy5.jpg

What is its provenance?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran