Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vehicles

What general era was your vehichle made:

• 30s or earlier

Votes: 38 15.8%
  • 40s

Votes: 26 10.8%
  • 50s

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • 60s

Votes: 52 21.6%
  • 70s-90s

Votes: 64 26.6%
  • New with classic features

Votes: 47 19.5%

• Total voters

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
That's good to hear

Root, I don't know if you're just lucky, or really good at finding a great car. My father used to work on cars back in the day (mechanical and body), and he tried going after classics. We both "learned" a lot that perhaps scared us away from them. I don't know. But I'll keep your words in mind, and maybe in a few years I'll know enough about vintage cars to "trade up" with confidence.
NB

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root is an exception driving his '46 daily but there are substantially more folks doing that these days. Maybe not 40s cars but certainly 60-70s cars are seen in regular use now.

Me? I don't drive mine much. I feel a specialty car shouldn't be in regular use, but that's me only. It's a fear of damage thing. But since most of my serioous health issues are over I hope to cruise around more. My Packard is on the same tank of gas as it was last summer! :)

00finisfront1.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
Not-Bogart13 said:
Root, I don't know if you're just lucky, or really good at finding a great car. My father used to work on cars back in the day (mechanical and body), and he tried going after classics. We both "learned" a lot that perhaps scared us away from them. I don't know. But I'll keep your words in mind, and maybe in a few years I'll know enough about vintage cars to "trade up" with confidence.
NB

Well, there is a little bit of luck in the equation but, if you were to ask any MoPar owner about his Chrysler, Dodge, DeSoto or Plymouth, they'll all tell you that these cars are amazing! The flat head 6 that the Chrysler corp. used ever since the 30's to the 50's is known as one of the most reliable motors ever made! The model they used in the 40-49's were 85 then to 95 horses by 1946. My car doesn't leak oil, water and it's not too bad on gas. She's not much for speed, I take her up to about 55-65 and that's fine with me. My best friend lives in Pomona and he drives a 55 Ford daily. He's owned it for 8-9 years now. It's had its problems but, he's taken care of it and well, it's a good little car. I find that I've had fewer problems with MoPars then my friends have with Chevy's and Fords and the like.

When the time is right and you're just itching for a vintage car, drop me a line and I'll help you find a good drivable car!

=WR=

The Reno Kid

A-List Customer
Here's my Baby...

I don't drive her every day, but I try to get out on the weekends. Unfortunately, it's 45 highway miles to work each way, so commuting in the Ford just isn't practical.

eef428b8.jpg

1939 Ford Deluxe Tudor

She needs a little work, but runs like a top. (The blemishes on the fenders are actually cloud reflections.)

GearHead

One of the Regulars
I've always had some sort of 60's Mustang since I was 17. My first car was a 65 fastback.
Here are the two I currently have although I just sold the 68 fastback this week and may be selling the coupe soon. I'd love to pick up something from the 40's next.

1967 Coupe - modified.

67-coupe-front.jpg
'

1968 Fastback - GT with a 390 in Highland Green just like McQueen in Bullitt

68fb.jpg

Erick

Cobden

Practically Family
Currently restricted to my two feet and public transport, but I have in the past had the honour of driving a rebuilt Bullied "Merchant Navy".

portline.jpg

Cobden

Practically Family
I'm afraid I never owed her; just drove her... *sigh*

And, of course, being a British loco, the correct phrase would be

"I'm so terribly sorry, but would you mind if I asked you to embark? Thank you, old sport"

(or, in BR days "Gerron' the f***ing train, you!")lol

Irena

One of the Regulars
This may never happen, but....

When I retire (this is a loooooooong way off) I would love to learn steam mechanics and build my own steam locomotive. Full size. With a track running all over my ranch (also still a dream). I have no idea how I'm going to do this, but can dream until the time comes, can't I?

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well, owning a steam loco is very hard to do... it takes space and lots of money to own... and to move!

Irena, I've always wanted a real steam loco in my back yard too! I've been in love with trains ever since I was little! If you ever do come to a point where you can get that steam loco, you can always restore an old one and run it around. There is nothing like a real steam loco! If you can't get a full sized one, you could always go into garden Railroading! Build a small sized steam loco and build a back yard layout and ride it around. There's a great place here in LA called "The LA Live Steam Club" and they have miniature steam locos that most of them have built them selves... they give free rides on Sundays... I've been there a few times! It's great and FREE!

Long live steam!

Now, back to autos!

=WR=

Tin Pan Sally

Oooh, that engine is cool! My Dad knew all about vintage trains. I think it had to do with him spending most of his childhood in Terre Haute.

I'm really a Ford gal, but...
37coupe.JPG

...the family blue '37 Chevy coupe, '48-'54 clothing.

Wild Root

Gone Home
Sally, that '37 Chevy coupe today in an original stock condition is a 15,000. to 25,000! They're getting really hard to find that haven't been tweaked or changed. I saw once a 1937 Chevy convertible with a rumble seat... it was fully restored and was a beautiful light green! It also had the dual side mounted spare tires!!! So lovely, I just about died!

=WR=

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Baron Kurtz said:
My word, i love that car. Always have. Ever since i saw Bullitt as a young child. Never learned to drive, though. Don't see many of 'em in the UK.

bk

What don't you see many of in the UK? Bullitts, Children, or '68 Stangs

My word indeed!

I had a '66 with a HP289, 2x 450 Holleys on a hi-rise manifold, a wild cam and toploader. It was basically a race engine in a street car.
Baron- for your amusement- that engine later went into a Ford Capri.

Getting all this Baron, you old fart!
;)

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW