Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage hats!

Josephine

One Too Many
Ordinary Guy said:
It seems to fit best towards the back of the head, Here is a pic of the inside:

2ltovft.jpg

That looks exactly like the inside of the hat I'm wearing in my avatar. It sits perched right on top of the head.

BuckHat02.jpg

BuckHat03.jpg

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sunny said:
Pretty much the same as yours. I know the most about early 1860s, then going back to the 1850s and 1840s, and I surely can't fit this one into those decades. That flared brim is very distinctive, but it doesn't quite fit in with anything I can recall from the 1820s or 1830s. That's a negative argument for the earlier date. :D

1800s_straw1a.JPG

Ahh...it's good to get a second opinion about the above hat. I actually researched this one before posting it, and it definately appeared to be earlier than 1830, and more inclined to even be pre-1815; but that's just a guess....unique hats are hard to pin down for dates....

1830s_poke_bonnet3.JPG

Sunny said:
Do you have any more info about this one? It looks more like a warm winter hood than a bonnet; I can see quilting on the curtain. These are harder for me to date, since hoods tend to follow fashion less over the years than their contemporary bonnets. If I didn't have your date, I'd guess 1840s into 1850s, but that's purely subjective.

You have a very good eye. It IS a quilted bonnet with wool lining for winter. There were also ribbons of matching material, but they were so rotted I removed them for fear of ruining the hat in the future.

Why I thought that this bonnet was earlier was the length of the brim, which apppeared longer than the 1840's+ bonnets. Now, realisitically, it could still be a later date and someone lived in a cold climate where they just extended the brim due to the cold, but again, I think it's an earlier date because parts of this just don't fit into the 1840's-1850's standardized mold of bonnets during that period. Again, just a guess. ;)

Any further thoughts? Your comments are appreciated!

texasgirl

One Too Many
I recently bought this hat on ebay. My reenacting group is taking a step back in time from our usual 30s show, to do an old west show, circa 1880s!

So I found this hat and thought it was really neat and a deal at $20.

The seller wrote:
Classic Early 1890s Antique Hat
You are bidding on a sweet little late-Victorian hat that I rescued from being thrown away by a local historical society! It is made of soft woven straw over a wire frame in the typical "clamshell" style of the 1890s. Original lining intact and black silk bow on the back. The rest of the ribbon trimming was shattered, so I removed and replaced with genuine antique ribbon and chiffon of the period and added the little flower cluster just to relieve the black. In clean, wearable condition.

I received the hat last night, and it really is lovely. The ribbon she used was indeed antique, as you'd never guess it was recently added.

I was thinking of adding ribbons to the sides, to tie under the chin? Good idea or not?

e780_1.jpg

Kinda to make it look like this:
595.jpg

Here's what my dress looks like :)
WW2970.jpg

Sunny

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
1800s_straw1a.JPG

Ahh...it's good to get a second opinion about the above hat. I actually researched this one before posting it, and it definately appeared to be earlier than 1830, and more inclined to even be pre-1815; but that's just a guess....unique hats are hard to pin down for dates....
<snip>
I'm about opinion'd-out, myself. :D But I asked some other people about them, since I'm by no means a millinery expert. I had a very fast response on the straw: It's 1880s! Child's or maybe doll's, it's 1880s. The front flare and the construction of the back, according to the experts, is very distinctive. Here is a fully-trimmed example, and here is a whole page of children's headwear from the 1880s.

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
I only have one older hat, and I have no clue when It is from...(and my pc is being WEIRD. So i can't put a pic up right at the moment.) but the tag on the inside says Sonnie San Fransisco it's a white number, that remind me of the hat Madonna wears in Evita while she's singing the bit about the actress taking control while they disappear (I hope someone seen the movie!) has a bow on the back, its shallow, which makes me think it was intended to be worn on top of a piled up hairdo.has a veil on front as well. Does anyone know anything about Sonnie San Fransisco perchance?

Vintage Betty

Sunny said:
I'm about opinion'd-out, myself. :D But I asked some other people about them, since I'm by no means a millinery expert. I had a very fast response on the straw: It's 1880s! Child's or maybe doll's, it's 1880s. The front flare and the construction of the back, according to the experts, is very distinctive. Here is a fully-trimmed example, and here is a whole page of children's headwear from the 1880s.

Wow-that's very helpful, thanks so very much for going to all that trouble! :eusa_clap

Did your experts think it was unusual? The reason I asked is that *I* think it's unusual, and have never seen a straw hat like that. [huh]

Thanks so much again!

Vintage Betty

Sunny

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Wow-that's very helpful, thanks so very much for going to all that trouble! :eusa_clap

Did your experts think it was unusual? The reason I asked is that *I* think it's unusual, and have never seen a straw hat like that. [huh]

Thanks so much again!

Vintage Betty
They didn't say it itself was unusual, but I think they remarked that the straw was quite interesting, or that it was in excellent shape. I'll have to check again. :eek:

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Sunny said:
They didn't say it itself was unusual, but I think they remarked that the straw was quite interesting, or that it was in excellent shape. I'll have to check again. :eek:

I'd say that the most unusual thing about it is that it's SURVIVED! There were many straw hats like that and they were very popular, but they didn't often make it to present day because they straw would crack when stored improperly. It's just lovely! And I'd say with the different types of straw and weave on it that it was originally a very expensive hat.

Josephine

One Too Many
I'm looking at hats, searching for something that someone back in the day would have had to just slap on top of their head as they were out the door to go shopping, etc, but near all I can find are, IMO, too fancy. I look at them and think, "No, too much for the weekday". But I wonder if that's because we don't wear hats anymore, so the hats that were just everyday hats then look too fancy for everyday now.

I need to look at some of those Mont. Ward and Sears scans and compare.

Also, I'm sure, that the everyday hats got more wear and tear so they didn't last and the fancy hats weren't worn as much so they did last.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts. :)

Sunny

One Too Many
Josephine said:
I'm looking at hats, searching for something that someone back in the day would have had to just slap on top of their head as they were out the door to go shopping, etc, but near all I can find are, IMO, too fancy. I look at them and think, "No, too much for the weekday". But I wonder if that's because we don't wear hats anymore, so the hats that were just everyday hats then look too fancy for everyday now.

I need to look at some of those Mont. Ward and Sears scans and compare.

Also, I'm sure, that the everyday hats got more wear and tear so they didn't last and the fancy hats weren't worn as much so they did last.

Anyway, just some rambling thoughts. :)

I think it's both. When I started wearing vintage, I'd have to mentally gear myself up for the day, to be "different" and be looked at. Now I don't think twice about it. Now that I'm trying to wear hats more, it's the same process of gearing up. And in both cases, the plainer the outfit or the dress, the more at ease I am. So plain hats looked most attractive to me, while the more fancy hats (to my eyes) scared me. Now I'm getting a little bolder and starting to branch out, and sort-of fancy hats don't look so fancy any more. They just look interesting. It was the same way for vintage dresses and things.

They did have different hats for different occasions. Lots of women had one good Sunday hat, or a couple nicer hats for special events, but they'd certainly have at least one hat to wear if they'd be out in the weather or something. That's still important for us to consider, too. If you're going out to a fancy vintage event, wear a crazy hat! They would've! If you're going to the office, though, you'd probably want something less obnoxious. They would've. So you're right there, too.

One last thing: I think hat wearing changed over the decades. Depending on the year and the person (teen, leader of the young people's set, society dame, etc), women may have been more or less likely to wear hats at all. It's possible that many hats appeared fancier over the years because women were less likely to even wear hats at less formal times.

Sunny

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
1830s_poke_bonnet3.JPG

You have a very good eye. It IS a quilted bonnet with wool lining for winter. There were also ribbons of matching material, but they were so rotted I removed them for fear of ruining the hat in the future.

Why I thought that this bonnet was earlier was the length of the brim, which apppeared longer than the 1840's+ bonnets. Now, realisitically, it could still be a later date and someone lived in a cold climate where they just extended the brim due to the cold, but again, I think it's an earlier date because parts of this just don't fit into the 1840's-1850's standardized mold of bonnets during that period. Again, just a guess. ;)

Okay, the verdict on this one from a mid-19th-century women's clothing expert:

The latter is a bit harder to date as winter bonnets/hoods changed rather slowly. I would put it very broadly in the 1850s-60s range. I doubt it was earlier as it would not fit over the much higher in the back hair styles of the earlier periods. By mid century the hair was moving lower and more compact. By the late '60s hair styles were getting bigger again and higher on the head, making it again hard to fit a bonnet this shape.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I agree with Sunny. I do think more 'ordinary' everyday hats were just plain worn out then thrown away, with the fancier ones surviving since they were worn less.

A dealer said to me recently when I was paying (very little) for a very plain brown 30s felt hat that looks like it was never worn "I can't sell many like this, everyone wants the fancy ones!" Heck, they can have the fancy ones if it means I get the 'ordinary' ones!

I also bought another plain felt in a lovely duck egg blue on Saturday from the same shop, although the old owner has sold it to new people. I hope I can track the old owner down, as she was fantastic for accessories.

Hmmmm, I must take some pics of everyday hats and post them for you. I have 30s and 40s ones. I *promise* to try and do it soon.

divaabsoluta

New in Town
Hat mannequins ?

I´m wondering if anyone knows how to get a hat mannequin ? Have seen some great ones on ebay when i´m there looking for hats. Would love to have one in my bedroom. D

Vintage Betty

divaabsoluta said:
I´m wondering if anyone knows how to get a hat mannequin ? Have seen some great ones on ebay when i´m there looking for hats. Would love to have one in my bedroom. D

Do you want new or used? Modern or reproduction?
What is your budget?

For about $300 you can get one from Deco Eyes or for under $10 you can get a styrofoam one, and you can usually find them at the thrift store for a dollar.

Here's some of mine:

Hat Blocks and Accessories:

(Left to right: 1800's? Hat Block, 1920's Balsa Hat Block in Cloche Design, Custom Made Hat Block to my head size out of 4 wood posts, standard wig form with canvas overlay, 1970's polyester hat band, vintage straw, 1800's doll millinery hat blocks, 1920's antique brim cutter and antique spinner.

millinery_tool3.JPG

Hat Displays:

(Left to right: modern blown glass, 2 wood spindles, 1920's hand painted hat display)

millinery_tool5.JPG

Vintage Betty

Lauren said:
I'd say that the most unusual thing about it is that it's SURVIVED! There were many straw hats like that and they were very popular, but they didn't often make it to present day because they straw would crack when stored improperly. It's just lovely! And I'd say with the different types of straw and weave on it that it was originally a very expensive hat.

Thanks for your feedback Lauren. I also see the shape as typical, but the workmanship is absolutely fantastic.

It seemed to be in near perfect condition, and than some idiot didn't pack it well and it got slightly damaged in transit. :rage: It's near perfect, and the straw is amazing.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I hate that! Sometimes sellers pack things just in a rotten way :rage:
I can't believe DecoEyes are so expensive now!! I got mine about 4 years back and they weren't nearly that high. Crazy!

Vintage Betty

Lauren said:
I hate that! Sometimes sellers pack things just in a rotten way :rage:

Well, in fairness to the seller, their regular packing guy was off that day, and they used someone different. I spoke to the owner of the business that sold it to me, and apparently the idiot didn't use any packing material in anything he packed to ship (hundreds of items). Poor people, they really took a loss on their business. I didn't have the heart to complain further.

Lauren said:
I can't believe DecoEyes are so expensive now!! I got mine about 4 years back and they weren't nearly that high. Crazy!

Well, it's kinda interesting that I found Deco Eyes before they started listing on Ebay. At one time, I was going to open a retail shop in a fancy-smancy location and their mannequin heads were going to be some of my displays. I was in the middle of negotiating for 10 heads when the owner spoke to me and said he had to cancel my order as Macy's placed a huge order with them. :eek: It turned out ok though, as I never opened the shop. [huh] But it's also interesting I never saw his heads at any Macy's I ever visited. Nice guy to work with. But I still don't own any of his heads and the molds I wanted are now not shown in his gallery. :eusa_doh:

Mojito

One Too Many
Caity Lynn, I love the way that hat sits on your head - simple, elegant and classic.

Can't wait to see photos of your Old West outfit when it's put together, TexasGirl - love both the hats and the dress.

Thanks for the feedback on Deco Eyes, VB - I'm very tempted by some of the heads (you've probably seen my old 80s wicker mannequin head - I'm rather fond of it in an odd way, as its been in the family now since 1983).

Agreed on the difficulty of finding the simplest things - I'm still looking for a plain, black, small brimmed cloche, and have yet to find the exact right one (although with a rather gigantic noggin like mine, it's not the easiest task).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou