Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Very nice!

The fence is original to the home, right?

- Ian
Thank you Ian! Yes sir, the fence is original to the house.

a442f6ca7e74a81fa9057f3d14b7b527.jpg

Thanks, man! There are 4 upright posts that need to be replaced due to rot over the years (not bad for 198 lineal feet of fence). I'd say that's pretty good for its age. I really like the patina on the fence. We have been here since April 2005. I renovated the inside, but left the outside alone. The original asbestos siding tiles were replaced sometime in the 60s with the aluminum siding that is on the house currently. Also, the property has a detached 2 1/2 car garage built out of brick and block the same time the house was built. Properties like this in our area are getting harder and harder to find, due to all the knock downs to put up McMansions. :(

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
Thanks, man! There are 4 upright posts that need to be replaced due to rot over the years (not bad for 198 lineal feet of fence). I'd say that's pretty good for its age. I really like the patina on the fence. We have been here since April 2005. I renovated the inside, but left the outside alone. The original asbestos siding tiles were replaced sometime in the 60s with the aluminum siding that is on the house currently. Also, the property has a detached 2 1/2 car garage built out of brick and block the same time the house was built. Properties like this in our area are getting harder and harder to find, due to all the knock downs to put up McMansions. :(

Well, it's a great looking house and it's really good to know that you treasure it. I'm sure you'll honor it for as long as you live in it.

- Ian

Harv that's a great looking example of a classic style. Hats off to you for keeping it what it is. And having a garage is sweeeeet!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Great house! Don't even get me started on McMansions!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here's a shot of the "front room" of my house. My granddaughter is enjoying pretending to play the old pump organ that was my great, great grandmother's. We were able to get the old organ when I was just a few years older than my granddaughter is now. It had been stored in a barn for a number of years and was in very bad shape. My parents had the case restored years ago, but the insides were too far gone to work on without very extensive (and costly) repair. Even though it's non-functioning, it is a beautiful piece of furniture, and it is one of only a very few things I have that belonged to my great, great grandparents.

The furniture in the room was always (and still is) referred to as "the new furniture." It was purchased by my grandparents (that's their wedding picture on the wall) when my aunt Hazel was old enough to start dating. That was in 1922. There are two arm chairs, a couch, and the table behind the couch. All the pieces still have the original finish and upholstery. We use the "front room" just like my grandparents always did; for sitting on Sunday afternoons and only for other special occasions.

That is fantastic, and you are VERY blessed to still have all that, and such a beautiful granddaughter. I hope one day that she will be as good a custodian of her heritage as you have been.

Big Man

That is fantastic, and you are VERY blessed to still have all that, and such a beautiful granddaughter. I hope one day that she will be as good a custodian of her heritage as you have been.

I think she will do a good job taking care of things for the next generation. She already talks about "Maw" (my grandmother) who died in 1983 like she knew (or should I say knows) her.

Big Man

Side view of the old homeplace taken a couple days ago. The house was built in 1907, and my grandparents bought the place in 1917.

The garden is just about winding down for the year, but the walnut trees are loaded. Should be about time to start trying to get them all collected and shelled. My grandmother planted all those walnut trees from seed back in the early 1960s. She was in her 80's when she planted these trees, knowing full well she would never live to see them to maturity. As always, my grandmother was "thinking ahead" for future generations.

Beautiful place Big Man.

Walnuts are delicious on top of some vanilla ice cream....with a little (or lot) of Kahlua poured over it.

Big Man

Beautiful place Big Man.

Walnuts are delicious on top of some vanilla ice cream....with a little (or lot) of Kahlua poured over it.

I never really developed a taste for walnuts. There were (and still are) two huge, very old, walnut trees at the bottom of the old cow pasture here where my grandmother always harvested the walnuts. She spent hours upon hours drying, shelling, picking out the "meat" and then packaging and selling the finished product. Her hands would be stained yellow-brown for more than a month following this work. She continued this work until her 99th year.

EmergencyIan

Practically Family

Here's a shot of the "front room" of my house. My granddaughter is enjoying pretending to play the old pump organ that was my great, great grandmother's. We were able to get the old organ when I was just a few years older than my granddaughter is now. It had been stored in a barn for a number of years and was in very bad shape. My parents had the case restored years ago, but the insides were too far gone to work on without very extensive (and costly) repair. Even though it's non-functioning, it is a beautiful piece of furniture, and it is one of only a very few things I have that belonged to my great, great grandparents.

The furniture in the room was always (and still is) referred to as "the new furniture." It was purchased by my grandparents (that's their wedding picture on the wall) when my aunt Hazel was old enough to start dating. That was in 1922. There are two arm chairs, a couch, and the table behind the couch. All the pieces still have the original finish and upholstery. We use the "front room" just like my grandparents always did; for sitting on Sunday afternoons and only for other special occasions.

That's really fantastic, Big Man!

- Ian

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up

Side view of the old homeplace taken a couple days ago. The house was built in 1907, and my grandparents bought the place in 1917.

The garden is just about winding down for the year, but the walnut trees are loaded. Should be about time to start trying to get them all collected and shelled. My grandmother planted all those walnut trees from seed back in the early 1960s. She was in her 80's when she planted these trees, knowing full well she would never live to see them to maturity. As always, my grandmother was "thinking ahead" for future generations.

She really was thinking ahead! Not only do you get to enjoy some tasty snacks, some day, hopefully in the far future, the trees will of course die, and some one will have some beautiful furniture and your Grandmother will live on for many more centuries! Walnut is one of the best looking woods, especially old growth.

I never really developed a taste for walnuts. There were (and still are) two huge, very old, walnut trees at the bottom of the old cow pasture here where my grandmother always harvested the walnuts. She spent hours upon hours drying, shelling, picking out the "meat" and then packaging and selling the finished product. Her hands would be stained yellow-brown for more than a month following this work. She continued this work until her 99th year.

I like walnuts and I had a tree in the backyard until it kicked the bucket last year. I call it my firewood tree now. :p I planted it from a seedling when I was 8.

I never did get many walnuts from the damned tree though because the squirrels got to them first. That and having to get your hands stained just to get a few walnuts never appealed to me anyway---so I understand what you mean. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21