Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Thank you Stray Cat.

5u6e4uty.jpg

Here's a better shot of the fish. Just plain old goldfish. Koi were $6 - $8 each, these guys were 10 for $1. Might get some koi after I see how they hold up to the local wildlife.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Gee, they are that cheap?! I might have to move from mosquito fish to gold fish. :p I think they will get along fine in my ponds. :p

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Since mid-May, I've been working on this vintage-style herb garden for Jackie. Its actually began when she wanted me to build a screen to hide the propane tank and recycling can. I built the left side of the wall to hide the tank….but decided that it would look more balanced with a right side, too. Then I figured I ought to build a piece of wall down the property line to better "define" what she was now calling her new garden. We like our neighbors, and I didn't want it to look like a spite fence, so I stepped the wall down to ground level and left the path between our houses open.

But then the whole thing looked silly without a door.

So I built the arched-topped door with a burnished metal insert that says something about wine and truth in Latin. I bought the insert from a guy on the internet. Evidently, he owns nice plasma cutter. The door is actually larger that it appears in these photos. Its 46 inches wide (so that I can get my riding mower through it) and the gate post is seven and a half feet tall.

When I had finished the construction, Jackie nicely stained and painted the woodwork and has begun decorating with river rock and old wine barrels and herbs.

IMG_129495407690374_zps1fdc31fa.jpg

0620141437_zps7b4fcc0a.jpg

0620141443_zps7b434f6b.jpg

AF

Last edited:
That looks great A.F.
I really like the way it steps down when it turns the corner, and the spacing of the boards.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Again, thanks for all the compliments. Here's another shot of the door while still in construction. It is made mostly from white pine, which can be prone to rot and pest infestation. To prevent that...or at least delay it...I borrowed a trick from the wooden boat builders in my home county. Copper naphthenate. I soaked almost an entire gallon of the smelly stuff into the door prior to staining it, hence the copper-green color in this photo.

0615141556_zps0b88f030.jpg

AF

Not vintage, but seems to fit the mid century design of the home.
a6evaqy9.jpg
ugama7yd.jpg
a7era8e5.jpg

We actually ordered this living room furniture back in April just after we bought this house, but it finally showed up today.
Vintage would've been preferable, but choices are often limited, and my kids have already jacked up one vintage sofa.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a side view of my vintage home (built 1907) as seen through the windshield of my '48 Plymouth as we were coming in from a nice, leisurely drive around the lake this afternoon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points