Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Here's how I spent the weekend

Before.....
8a2ebu4e.jpg
rute9uve.jpg

Some previous tenant had painted the living room this lovely shade of dark brown. It's about the color of a Hershey bar, about 3 hours after it was eaten.

After....
gu8u4aby.jpg
e8e8edaj.jpg
5ynusuhe.jpg

I'm slowly trying to get the mid-century vibe back to the house.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Here is a before and after of an 1880s Victorian I toured today. Some California developers flipped it, and took away what little charm it had before!
IS52lfl4yw00lx1000000000_zps7cc15242.jpg
Photo_zpscd299372.jpg

They should be beaten with their own tools and and have their hgtv watching priveledges revoked for what they did to that stone porch. I shudder to think what the inside looks like.
What is wrong with people??

Matt and Stray Cat I appreciate the kind words.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Matt and Stray Cat I appreciate the kind words.

You're very welcome. I don't know of what used/vintage stores around B'ham might specialize in mid-century stuff, but in Nashville there are at least two I know of: the Downtown Antique Mall, and Pre-to-Post Modern. Both usually have some very nice pieces.

You have a beautiful home Alsendk

Matt....not really a lot of it down here. Always had better luck in Atlanta. I'll check those places out next time I'm in Nashville. I've had some luck in Huntsvegas in the past, but it's been years, don't know much what's up there now.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Holy Crimony! Painted rock is pretty damned ugly. lol lol

Heck a lawn would have been nicer and cheaper. :p

Hey James,

In keeping with the transformation of a Craftsman into a Crassman. Don't you think perhaps several old tires turned in gardeners tastefully placed on both sides of the front steps, with an old claw foot tub placed on the red mulch as raised flower bed would take it to a whole new level?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Here is a before and after of an 1880s Victorian I toured today. Some California developers flipped it, and took away what little charm it had before!
Photo_zpscd299372.jpg

Yeah they flipped it alright. As far as I'm concerned they ruined what once looked to be a nice Craftsman Bungalow.

Auld Edwardian

A-List Customer
Yeah they flipped it alright. As far as I'm concerned they ruined what once looked to be a nice Craftsman Bungalow.
Your quite right, as I said before they turned it into a Crassman Bungalow. I shudder to think what they did to the interior! I have a neighbor that replaced the original front door of his pre WWI Craftsman with a door that had a large oval window in it that you would find on a 1980's McMansion. And he did the same inside! He replaced the original solid five panel doors with vacuum form doors. He thought himself quite the home improvement type.

I used to live in, and still own a pre-war bungalow in a nice neighborhood full of similar vintage and style houses, and sadly most all of them have gone through some kind of "updating". Ours had suffered a terrible fix-up by some nimwit who had watched too many home improvement shows. The unfortunate truth about the situation, though, is that the vast majority of people do not have the resources to properly restore an old home, even if that is what the want to do. Period correct furnishings and hardware are scarce and usually priced at a premium, and unless you are planning to live in the home til you die it isn't worth the expense to do it right. A stainless and granite kitchen, for example, adds far more resale value to a home than does a properly restored kitchen with, for example, a tin ceiling and enameled sink and sideboard, which also would probably cost more to restore than installing the modern upgrade.
Unless you are fortunate enough to score a vintage home that is in fairly close to original condition you are fighting an uphill battle.
I'm by no means trying to justify the practice of modernizing old homes, just put it in perspective.
And I still thing whoever sloppily stuccoed over that stone work needs his *** whipped.

Photo_zpscd299372.jpg

A very common sight in the inner city areas here in California such as South Central L.A.. They put stucco on these old houses because it requires less maintenance. That and I'm guessing that it gives the house a more formidable appearance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy