Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Rustic wooden furniture? *takes a look around* Yeah, I could live without that.
Portrait of Lenin?! :eeek: Only time I see that is on TV. (there was ANOTHER portrait in these areas, sir - but my family never had that one on the wall rather) :p We have paintings.. charming ones, my dad panted them: nature, horses.. [huh]

I'm reconstructing a house from the beginning of the century (bare in mind: my folk, back in the day, used to build using a "Rammed Earth" method). It also means the ceiling is 2.00 meters hight; no higher than that. :D
I will reconstruct it, reinforce it, and.. if I'm still alive (and financially capable) I would like to get the sleek and light look inside.
Wooden flooring.
Light colored walls.
..and I'm aiming for something simple.. as long as it does not involve any plastic material. I guess I'd like to go for feminine late-1930's :D

Inspiration:

Art_Deco_Living_Room_by_wetwork777.jpg

clarke_living_room.jpg

My bad. I would have thought them de rigeur after the war. :p

Looks like you have some fantastic looking ideas in your head already. I love the deco/moderne styles of that era. I am more into post war/space age in my own house, but what you are showing there is very elegant. I would guess a lot of that style furnishings would be harder to come by and more expensive, but with all good decorating, minimalising clutter is the key. I'm sure you already know that the internet is your best resource. Old movies, too.I will keep an eye out for sites as well.
And as far as hiring a decorator, I would suggest going it on your own. You don't need to pay someone to tell you what you like.

Edit - check out houzz.com for some inspiration and links.

Last edited:

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My bad. I would have thought them de rigeur after the war. :p
It was, you are not mistaken. :nod:
However, my family was always a bit.. (what's the word for it?) ..the group of dissidents. lol

Looks like you have some fantastic looking ideas in your head already. I love the deco/moderne styles of that era. I am more into post war/space age in my own house, but what you are showing there is very elegant. I would guess a lot of that style furnishings would be harder to come by and more expensive, but with all good decorating, minimalising clutter is the key. I'm sure you already know that the internet is your best resource. Old movies, too.I will keep an eye out for sites as well.
Yeah, I know about the "space age" style, and I like that one as well, but it would hardly work inside a house like this I'm having. And, I also know there will be a need to hire someone to build me some pieces of furniture (to fit the measurements and style required). But, once furnished with the proper basics.. adding up to it will be easier, right? :D

And as far as hiring a decorator, I would suggest going it on your own. You don't need to pay someone to tell you what you like.
:thumb:
Knowing what I want was never a problem, the problem is making it all work on the site. lol

Thank you, sir. :yo:
You've been very helpful.

I agree with James - it's a nice lamp. And it's great to have a pair. :D

yeah: about that adorable child in the photo: :wave: :D

Thanks.
And Thanks. That's the Christmas spirit. She helps make the holidays extra fun.
And she also is making sure that poor little tree gets lots of special attention.:)

Oh, yes.. I've been doing some house planning posts on my blog for a while now, but I've decided to star showing some.. less usual ones. :D

Go, check it out - HERE

That is a very cool little cabin Stray Cat. Very interesting layout. I have some property about 40 miles outside of the city here that one day I hope to be able to build a little cabin on, but from a financial perspective it doesn't look too promising at the moment.

That is a very cool little cabin Stray Cat. Very interesting layout. I have some property about 40 miles outside of the city here that one day I hope to be able to build a little cabin on, but from a financial perspective it doesn't look too promising at the moment.

You could always put the kids to work. :p

Stray Cat

That is a very cool little cabin Stray Cat. Very interesting layout.

Wait 'till you see the other layouts I have set out. will post about them soon. :D

I have some property about 40 miles outside of the city here that one day I hope to be able to build a little cabin on, but from a financial perspective it doesn't look too promising at the moment.
Truth to be told: there's no such thing as "perfect timing" over here; and there's never going to be "enough" money for a house-project. BUT, no one said all the job has to be done right now. Waiting for the money to pile up.. I'd grow old doing that. So, I've decided to take it one step at the time..
My grandpa used to say "Money comes drop by drop - and all you need to do is: be smart, collect those drops and use them".

Big Man

We're getting ready for Christmas in our vintage home. Christmas is one of the few occasions we use the "front room" in the house.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy