Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I had a funny coincidence today. I finished hanging the light and ceiling fan in the master bedroom, when I hit the switches, nothing! No lights, no fan, I knew I wired it right, so I pulled the light switch and had power going in, same on the fan. On a hunch, I decided to replace the brand new dimmer switch, you would no, I was out of switches, had to run and get one. I was right, new switch, let there be light. As for the fan, I hit the switch on the fan housing to reverse it, and it worked. I thought, must be a defective switch, I flipped the switch again, and I noticed there were three positions, the middle being off! The instructions didn't mention this! I have never seen this, they are usually two positions, down draft, up draft. Now, even the remote works. Like O'Toole said, "Murphy was an optimist!"

I had a funny coincidence today. I finished hanging the light and ceiling fan in the master bedroom, when I hit the switches, nothing! No lights, no fan, I knew I wired it right, so I pulled the light switch and had power going in, same on the fan. On a hunch, I decided to replace the brand new dimmer switch, you would no, I was out of switches, had to run and get one. I was right, new switch, let there be light. As for the fan, I hit the switch on the fan housing to reverse it, and it worked. I thought, must be a defective switch, I flipped the switch again, and I noticed there were three positions, the middle being off! The instructions didn't mention this! I have never seen this, they are usually two positions, down draft, up draft. Now, even the remote works. Like O'Toole said, "Murphy was an optimist!"

lol lol lol

:rofl:
I have done the same thing! :p

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Finally got the last of the wiring done! All did not go smoothly, there was a reason that the fan and heat would only go on if the light switch was on. I kept tripping the breaker. I finally did some rerouting, now all three come on individually. The only thing not working, is the new LED recessed light I added, second one, no joy, and yes, there is power to it! May go to a good old fixture, with a screw in LED. The bath may get a complete remodel. As you can imagine, it was an after thought, since there would probably not have been indoor bathrooms in that part of town in 1888. Right now, it has a tub shower combo against a sloping wall, that does not work very well. It's a 60s tub, so no loss. There is a better cubby hole where one of the two vanities is, that may become the shower. I would have to move the access door that leads to some empty storage space, but that would be easy! My tile guy, also pours custom high end shower bases, and said he would do it for a little over the cost of materials. Not enough room to do a full on vintage bath, so I will try to be somewhat sympathetic to the style!

Panadora

Practically Family
attachment.php
Turning the camera 180 dg

attachment.php

(I was reminded of this picture yesterday and now I found it)

Attachments

• Setup_4.jpg
    Setup_4.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 309

fashion frank

One Too Many
Man, been neck deep in rewiring the last couple of weeks! Finally took time to treat it like a full time job the last couple of days. Replaced almost all the old Knob & Tube with modern grounded wire. Just need to hang two more lights, and a ceiling fan, then run a couple of wires in the upstairs bath. Getting a wire to the turret turned out to be the hardest part! If I had thought about it while the roofers were there, I could have simply drilled two holes, one in the roof and the other, in the adjoining wall on the turret, then they would have added the flashing. Ran two new circuits, 15amp and 20anp. They had the entire upstairs running through the kitchen circuit. Trying to figure out how to add a recessed light in the small hallway to the bath. There are probably more wires in the after shot, but it is safe and up to code now. Best part, I literally saved a few thousand dollars doing it my self!
IMG_20150415_142232_364_zpspkja7mzc.jpg

My house had alot of that too .
Most of it I ripped out and replaced ,but where it was a headache to get at I just disconnected it and let it stay where it was .
Not an easy job ,my hat off to you!

All the Best,Fashion Frank

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here are a few photos of the picture molding my Granddad was so proud of having in his front room. The picture hanging from the molding has been hanging in the same place since my Granddad put the picture molding up in 1917.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
My house had alot of that too .
Most of it I ripped out and replaced ,but where it was a headache to get at I just disconnected it and let it stay where it was .
Not an easy job ,my hat off to you!

Thanks Frank. Unfortunately, the one run I did not replace, to the master bedroom light switch, came back to bite me! I turned the light switch on, flicker, then the breaker tripped. After checking out the light fixtures, I put my test light on the conduit and each wire leading to the switch, sure enough, one was shorting to the metal! Just when I thought I would not have to go up in the attic again. We are suppose to have some cool weather this week, so early in the morning I will go up! At lest then, I will only have to contend with a lot of dust and not a lot of sweat!

kampkatz

Practically Family
Here are a few photos of the picture molding my Granddad was so proud of having in his front room. The picture hanging from the molding has been hanging in the same place since my Granddad put the picture molding up in 1917.

That wainscotting ceiling is impressive. The cost to use wood is no longer feasible. The interior wall of my detached garage are lined with wainscot also.

Big Man

That wainscotting ceiling is impressive. The cost to use wood is no longer feasible. The interior wall of my detached garage are lined with wainscot also.

Around here we call that "beaded board." All the celings (including the front and back porches) have that.

fashion frank

One Too Many

Like Big Man stated we have that on both our front and back porche ceilings and we also call it wainscotting and its the norm to paint them sky pastel blue.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Like Big Man stated we have that on both our front and back porche ceilings and we also call it wainscotting and its the norm to paint them sky pastel blue.

My 4-H leader, long since passed, told a story when I was in in her 4-H group about "sky blue" porch ceilings.

Her mother when she was a young child demanded the porch ceiling be a certain "sky blue." Her father, being less than educated, went and bought a bucket of blue paint and one of white, and proceeded to dump them together. "Too dark," said the mother. Several more white paint buckets were bought and used, all "too dark." Finally the mother (when she realized the source of the problem) suggested dumping some of the blue paint mixture into the pure white.

Needless to say, for decades after that, everything in the house that needed paint was sky blue- the walls, the furniture, etc.

Big Man

My 4-H leader, long since passed, told a story when I was in in her 4-H group about "sky blue" porch ceilings.

Her mother when she was a young child demanded the porch ceiling be a certain "sky blue." Her father, being less than educated, went and bought a bucket of blue paint and one of white, and proceeded to dump them together. "Too dark," said the mother. Several more white paint buckets were bought and used, all "too dark." Finally the mother (when she realized the source of the problem) suggested dumping some of the blue paint mixture into the pure white.

Needless to say, for decades after that, everything in the house that needed paint was sky blue- the walls, the furniture, etc.

Great story.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Around here we call that "beaded board." All the celings (including the front and back porches) have that.

We call it "bead board" also. Wainscoting, is the same pattern, but on the lower part of the wall. I want to do my porch ceiling in bead board, stained oak, with a porch light or two, hanging down.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
I replaced the wire to the switch today. I used the old wire to pull the new. Easy, except, I accidentally let the new wire fall back into the wall. Luckily, it was a straight run, so I went back down and pushed the wire up. Like I always say, I'd rather be lucky then good! Unfortunately, luck ran out, it was a double whammy, the switch wire was shorted, but, after I replaced it, the breaker tripped again! After doing a lot of testing, I found the little Chandelier the former owner had hung, was shorting out with some frayed wire. Will have to rewire it. Oh well, better now, then when the place is done.

I replaced the wire to the switch today. I used the old wire to pull the new. Easy, except, I accidentally let the new wire fall back into the wall. Luckily, it was a straight run, so I went back down and pushed the wire up. Like I always say, I'd rather be lucky then good! Unfortunately, luck ran out, it was a double whammy, the switch wire was shorted, but, after I replaced it, the breaker tripped again! After doing a lot of testing, I found the little Chandelier the former owner had hung, was shorting out with some frayed wire. Will have to rewire it. Oh well, better now, then when the place is done.

We need to change your name to Electricianmen. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou