Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Trust me, it's waaaaay better to get the plumbing right at this point in the game. I can't begin to count the number of "patch and paint" renovations I've come behind to repair plumbing issues that could have easily (and much more economically) been handled at the time of the remodel that ended up doing some real damage later on.

That's the philosophy we are trying to bring throughout - do it right now, even if it cost more upfront (which is is :(), as we believe this is the smarter long-term approach. The challenge is knowing whom to believe on the recondite plumbing, electric and structural issues. While I think many people are fair and honest, some people aren't and just want to run up the bill - sorting through all that is exhausting.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
That's the philosophy we are trying to bring throughout - do it right now, even if it cost more upfront (which is is :(), as we believe this is the smarter long-term approach. The challenge is knowing whom to believe on the recondite plumbing, electric and structural issues. While I think many people are fair and honest, some people aren't and just want to run up the bill - sorting through all that is exhausting.

It's tough to decide were to stop. For me, it is the old knob & tube, had to go, just to dangerous. I decided to leave the 50s metal clad, since it seems to be fairing well, and to replace it would mean a lot of dirty time in a very cramped crawl space. Also, with the metal armature and metal outlet boxes, I can use self grounding outlets and be up to code! I am lucky on the plumbing, it is all 80s copper and ABS, not my favorite, but only on the drains. You would know, I am moving the shower to were one of the sinks was, and that's the one that had the S Trap. That means, it is not vented right, so I am going to have to add a vent near by, not to hard, but I hate to punch another hole in the roof!

You would know, I am moving the shower to were one of the sinks was, and that's the one that had the S Trap. That means, it is not vented right, so I am going to have to add a vent near by, not to hard, but I hate to punch another hole in the roof!

Just run it up in the attic and tie it into one that's already going through the roof below where it goes out. No need to put another hole in the roof.

What you're paying now will save you a lot in the long run. I don't know what's in there now, or if it's original to the building, but if they are encouraging yo to replace any old galvanized piping, either water supply or drainage, that's a good idea. If it isn't already rusted out, it is just a matter of time. I would imagine most of the drainage is old hub & spigot cast iron, probably pretty solid still, but it does rust out over time too, and if it has seen any period of inactivity, the rust won't have been washed out, but will rather have collected and can cause serious blockages once it sees normal use again. If any piping is copper and is really old, the solder holding the joints together is probably lead. It shouldn't leak, but it is lead. In most places, by law, if any lead is found during a renovation it has to be replaced to bring everything up to code. Unfortunately, this is at the expense of the homeowner, not the contractor. The uptick to that is that you know your pipes are lead free. (You still don't know about the pipes upstream of you in the water distribution infrastructure, though)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Just run it up in the attic and tie it into one that's already going through the roof below where it goes out. No need to put another hole in the roof.

Unfortunately that idea, as good as it is, won't work. This is an 1888, the bathroom is an afterthought, it was added on in the back second story. There is no attic space above, only on each side of the room, and no vent pipe anywhere near. The WC vent is on the other side of the room, and in the back, so to long of a run to meat code! Like I said, not that hard of work, though, even though I roofed houses back in collage, I will probably call the roofing company that did the work. I did a little test on the shingles, these new dimensional asphalt shingles really stick to each other, don't want to tear them.

1928 NYC Coop Apartment Restoration Update:

With the plumbing "event" behind us - passed the DOB inspection this week, we are finally back on track on the actual restoration.

If you scroll back a few pages you can see the kitchen and bathroom in full "demoed" mode (I don't want to show it again as they take up so much space), but here those rooms are starting to be closed back in:

The Kitchen

The Bathroom

One more of the Bathroom

We also just got in a bunch of reclaimed wood (from an early 1900s house) - the wood is gorgeous. It's red oak that we will use for the kitchen floor to echo the original red oak that is still in most of the apartment. It is "curing" in a bedroom right now.

FF, thanks for the update. Moving right along, huh? Sweet find on the red oak, one of my favorite floors.

Thank you. The restoration process has a lot of ups and downs, but finding the red oak was a huge win. The gentleman who will be installing and finishing the floor for us has twenty-plus years experience and seems like a real craftsman from the old days - so I think the result is going to be fantastic. But we needed the vintage wood first for him to work his magic. We also found reclaimed glass from another 100+ year old house that we will be using in the kitchen French door and glass front kitchen cabinets. That said, if I never have to discuss plumbing again (or see another plumbing bill), I will be a much happier man. It's ups and downs like everything in life.

1928 NYC Coop Apartment Restoration Update (and teaser):

The kitchen floor with the reclaimed red oak wood being installed (it will be finished to match the other red-oak floor's finish in the apt after it is installed):

and a close-up

And the teaser (this will eventually be really neat)

That's a million times better then my oak floors!

Thank you, but I sincerely doubt that. The irony is that reclaimed is not necessarily costing us more than new, but I'm told that new oak wood floors today just aren't as "rich" or "deep" as the old oak.

I don't know enough to explain it all (something to do with not letting the trees grow old enough today) or to verify it, but to my not-professional eye, the old wood looks "better," more like "real, old wood." And as noted, all-in, it will definitely not be costing us more than "good" new oak and maybe less, plus we get the fun of knowing these boards were in a house for nearly / over one hundred years.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Looks like you are making good progress on the project. I'll be glad to see the finished product (as I'm sure you will be, too).

Looks good FF. You're a brave man to put hardwood in the kitchen. Are you planning on a modern, acrylic type sealer to better guard against spills?

Looks good FF. You're a brave man to put hardwood in the kitchen. Are you planning on a modern, acrylic type sealer to better guard against spills?

You have not met my indomitable (and awesome) girlfriend. Her view is that wood has worked for hundreds of years and she will do what it takes to make it work today. I stay out of the kitchen minutia details - she is doing what she wants and, I know, will do what it take to keep it right - she'll clean, reseal, wash, scrub, etc., she likes vintage and if it is more upkeep, so be it.

Also, she really cooks and bakes (with an incredible amount of talent) and wants to stand on wood and not tile, etc. as wood gives, but those other surfaces don't. Thank you for your compliment, but there is nothing brave about me, I just have one of the most impressive girlfriends ever who knows what she wants and will do what it takes to make it work. Her view, versus the modern one, is not - is it simple or easier, but is it organic to the the 1928 room, is it vintage, does it make sense for us.

We are also putting in Carrara (honed) Marble for counters, not because they are the easiest to maintain, but because they are consistent with the restoration of a 1928 kitchen. She'll maintain them and, also, recognizes that they won't be "perfect" and "new" forever but will develop a beautiful patina. (What a crazy experience going to a marble slab yard is and picking out your counters from these ginormous pieces of marble that they show you by moving them around on these gigantic lifting cranes - ridiculously impressive.)

Seventy five percent of our restoration is my girlfriend, but, to be fair, I'm twenty five percent as I, too, have my things - but without her, this wouldn't be the incredible vintage project that it is.

Papperskatt

Practically Family
Her view is that wood has worked for hundreds of years and she will do what it takes to make it work today.

A wise woman.

For what it's worth, I've lived with wooden floors in the kitchen for quite a big part of my (short) life and have never even considered it a problem. We Swedes generally do prefer wooden floors over tiles or carpet or whatever, though, so I guess that culture have a part in it too.

I technically have a wooden floor in my kitchen as well...1/4" luan on top of 1/2" pine, covered with Armstrong tiles. I put it down myself a few years back after the dishwasher flooded and bucked up the old floor.

FF, sounds like you have a true gem of a gf. You're a lucky man.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Thank you, but I sincerely doubt that. The irony is that reclaimed is not necessarily costing us more than new, but I'm told that new oak wood floors today just aren't as "rich" or "deep" as the old oak.

I don't know enough to explain it all (something to do with not letting the trees grow old enough today) or to verify it, but to my not-professional eye, the old wood looks "better," more like "real, old wood." And as noted, all-in, it will definitely not be costing us more than "good" new oak and maybe less, plus we get the fun of knowing these boards were in a house for nearly / over one hundred years.

Yes, it's the slower growth that gives it the great tree rings, unlike todays trees. Realtors call it character. All I know is, the difference between the 70s wood floor in my back room, and the rest of the wood in the house is literally like day and night!

Yes, it's the slower growth that gives it the great tree rings, unlike todays trees. Realtors call it character. All I know is, the difference between the 70s wood floor in my back room, and the rest of the wood in the house is literally like day and night!

That's exactly why we went with reclaimed. It just looks and feels so much better and, since the rest of the apartment has original 1928 oak, we thought new oak would really stand out in the wrong way.

And thank you to dh66 and Papperskatt for your comments - yes, she's an awesome woman.

Heading up to the apt today if I can as they might start doing some tiling - can't wait as we put a lot of work into creating a vintage tile design (and finding a company that does very authentic looking subway tile reproductions). Fingers crossed.

Also, thank you Big Man for your comment and it's good to see you posting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn