Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
But British Deco seems to have been designed for more middle class people, and there's a lot of nice British Deco pieces available at great prices. A lot of it in rugged oak.
Here's my pride and joy, a 1920's vintage British oak sideboard. I won't say how much, but basically it was a steal. The shipping was murder, but even after that, I think I got a terrific bargain.
SideboardMama.jpg

Mama thinks she goes nicely with the oak finish. I agree.
SideboardMamacloseup.jpg

Is it a Beautility? Looks like one....

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I was just looking at the original post. Oy. Actually there is still a lot of chaos around here, I just shoved it out of the way of the camera. ;)
But I must say, it really does feel like home, and that's the important thing.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Miss Neecerie said:
Is it a Beautility? Looks like one....
I looked on all sides and the drawers and saw no label. I saw other similar ones with metal brand name tags onthe back, but this one doesn't have one.
The guy who sold me this I believe got a whole container of similar pieces from England not too long ago. I can just imagine some younger generation family deciding they didn't want all that ugly old stuff of Granny's and selling it for a song. Their loss, my gain.
There are similar peices to this on Ebay, some carrying very low prices, and some much higher. I think it's a question of timing and luck on them. The snazzy gorgeous French stuff goes for a fortune consistently, and it should.
But there are some bargains out there as well among the British pieces. I love this piece because it SOOOO Deco, and I mean early Deco.
Now I have to get the cobwebs out that it accumulated in Texas, and fill it with stuff.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
Here's my closet. The Admiral is actually a functional MP3 player I wired together. The dials really control the volume and power. Plus I loved IKEA's "Mandal" line of furniture- looks so atomic age.

apart4co3.jpg

Very cool! How did you rig that? Feel free to PM me if no one else on the thread might be interested.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
The dining area. The walls here have since been painted turquoise. It's open plan so this is sort of the same room as the living room.
2106446746_762a01ffe2.jpg

Fantastic! I want to know where you got your outfit! I love it!

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Thanks all!

And CherryRed no I did not recover it myself. I have no knack for such things. Best left to the professionals.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
That's very interesting. I saw two in a very similar style to that one on Ebay when I was looking. I thought they were made in USA. Very nice. One of the Ebay listings of a similar piece to mine had pics of the original shop in the 1920's. Fascinating. I wish there was more documentation on these companies. There is a lot of info on ceramics, much less on furniture. At least that's what I've found so far.
The price is also very close to what I paid. Intrinsic quality and price don't always correlate. You can get great stuff if you look for big clunky stuff that's hard to lug around, and you go against the popular trends.

zaika

One Too Many
Pink Dahlia your couch is to die for. very very awesome. it looks similar to the one i had...but sold. *sniff* i can't wait to see it in your new house with all the other trimmings. :)

dhermann1 - i am SUPREMELY jealous of your art deco sideboard. it's SO beautiful! and awfullly similar to what i'm looking for, too! your house must be amazing!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There'll always be an England . . . or something . . .

OK, this is SPOOKY. I just decided it was time to clean out my lovely sideboard, so I got a paper towel, Fantastic, etc. Before I started I stood in front of it and said "Speak to me, oh ancient object. Tell me of your life." (Or words to that effect.) Then I got down on my hands and knees and started sweeping the inside of the shelves out. In about 10 seconds I had collected a nice little bunch of cobwebs and miscellaneous schmutz. Then I found it, a little Spam can key, nestled in the back corner of the bottom shelf. The sideboard had heard me and responded! What could be more indicative of the life of a dining room sideboard that had spent the last 80 plus years in Great Britain than this little relic of a can of Spam!? Spooky, no?
Here it is:
Spancankey.jpg

This goes next to the theater tickets from 1940 that I found in my new old Homburg a few months ago.
The past is alllll around us, if we just see what's right in front of our eyes.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
OK, now I'm trying to clean the center drawer. It's got that felt material all over the inside surface, which I guess is used to protect silver ware. It's got a ton of cat hair embedded in the fuzzy surface. Who knows how many decades ago that kitty hung out on this sideboard? Obviously Mama isn't the first! She slowly yields up her secrets! Domestic archaeology!

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
SweetieStarr said:
Very cool! How did you rig that? Feel free to PM me if no one else on the thread might be interested.

I would be very interested. I have been planning to build an AM transmitter for an MP3 player so as to get vintage tunes in an original radio, but that would be a great project for one that was cosmetically good but had bad internals. Perhaps a seperate thread is in order.

-Dave

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
zaika said:
Pink Dahlia your couch is to die for. very very awesome. it looks similar to the one i had...but sold. *sniff* i can't wait to see it in your new house with all the other trimmings. :)

It's slow and go...as I've been doing most of the painting myself thought I did have some much needed help today. Never fear you will see it when I'm done. :)

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
dhermann1 said:
Pink Dahlia: Didn't you have pics of your new place posted? Were they part of the recent wipe out? I'd love to see more current pics.

I posted a pic of the outside. I have a few pics up on my myspace but it's definitely not up to showing off just yet.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wonderful Spam!

dhermann1 said:
OK, this is SPOOKY. I just decided it was time to clean out my lovely sideboard, so I got a paper towel, Fantastic, etc. Before I started I stood in front of it and said "Speak to me, oh ancient object. Tell me of your life." (Or words to that effect.) Then I got down on my hands and knees and started sweeping the inside of the shelves out. In about 10 seconds I had collected a nice little bunch of cobwebs and miscellaneous schmutz. Then I found it, a little Spam can key, nestled in the back corner of the bottom shelf. The sideboard had heard me and responded! What could be more indicative of the life of a dining room sideboard that had spent the last 80 plus years in Great Britain than this little relic of a can of Spam!? Spooky, no?
Here it is:
Spancankey.jpg

This goes next to the theater tickets from 1940 that I found in my new old Homburg a few months ago.
The past is alllll around us, if we just see what's right in front of our eyes.

This is absolutely the coolest thing ever.
We have matching cats, BTW.

epr25

Practically Family
I love when things like that turn up! I have found some pretty cool things in some of my mens suits bound for ebay. Something as simple as a piece of paper is so interesting.

Miss 1929 said:
This is absolutely the coolest thing ever.
We have matching cats, BTW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace