Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanksgiving was the first official holiday where we got to enjoy our recently "renovated" dining room. Practically everything in the room is vintage. The table was my great grandmother's (cir. 1880's) and the chairs my grandmother's (cir. 1910's). The linen table cloth and the napkins were my grandmothers (cir. 1920's), as well as her silver. The most modern things we used were the china, which is my wife's and mine - but, in just a couple more years it will be "vintage" as well. :D

We had a great time with all our family together around the table. I feel truly blessed to be able to enjoy a meal with my family in a setting that has such deep and longstanding family connections.

DSC02858.jpg

nico demouse

Familiar Face
Big Man said:
Thanksgiving was the first official holiday where we got to enjoy our recently "renovated" dining room. Practically everything in the room is vintage. The table was my great grandmother's (cir. 1880's) and the chairs my grandmother's (cir. 1910's). The linen table cloth and the napkins were my grandmothers (cir. 1920's), as well as her silver. The most modern things we used were the china, which is my wife's and mine - but, in just a couple more years it will be "vintage" as well. :D

We had a great time with all our family together around the table. I feel truly blessed to be able to enjoy a meal with my family in a setting that has such deep and longstanding family connections.

DSC02858.jpg

This is a simply lovely room. Just beautiful.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Big Man, What are the little things (with the X-shaped sides and cross bars between the Xs) set at the tops of the dinner plates? I'm curious as to what they are used for, are they knife rests so you don't have to put the knives down on the table?

Big Man

BeBopBaby said:
Big Man, What are the little things (with the X-shaped sides and cross bars between the Xs) set at the tops of the dinner plates? I'm curious as to what they are used for, are they knife rests so you don't have to put the knives down on the table?

You are correct, they are a knife rest.

As a little boy, I remember playing with these by stacking them up to make forts for my toy soldiers. :eek: During my lifetime, my grandmother never "set" the table for a formal dinner. We always ate in the kitchen, but used the remnants of her old china for every-day use (there are still several plates left - too "valuable" for me to use now).

I grew up hearing many stories of how they ate meals in "the old days" in the dining room with the "good china". But, after my grandfather died in 1932, times changed. With the Great Depression and the loss of my grandfather's income, the "niceties" of life fell by the wayside. I would have loved to seen exactly what life was like in those early days. from the stories I grew up with, it surely must have been interesting times.

Big Man

dhermann1 said:
Not only do you have candles on the table, but you have a kerosene (or is it oil?) lamp on the dresser. Very nice.

There are four kerosene lamps that have been in the house since the beginning, and I suspect they came with my grandparents when they moved from the farm at Rocky Pass to this house in Nebo in 1917. My grandmother always kept one in each room "in case the power went out", as well as using one in the bathroom during the winter to "help keep the pipes from freezing".

$ally

One Too Many
Here is my sons vintage house:
WholeFrontYard.jpg

Isn't it cute? He's only 20 and already living the good life!

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
BigMan and Marinebilly, those are very inspiring homes!! Thank you for sharing.

Cacklewack and I did just purchase our first home and are very excited to move in later this month! Our home is a 1944 Cape Cod, with original floors, windows, siding and cabinets. Some minor updating was done to the kitchen and bathroom, but nothing that can't be undone or re done appropriately. Thankfully a lot of original, left over flooring is in the basement so we intend to finish off the kitchen with it.

The house was originally built next to a farmhouse, likely for in-laws or family. Everything around us in the neighborhood is brand new and character-less (IMHO). We feel very fortunate and blessed. Even our inspector remarked how he would purchase our house in a heartbeat rather than live in the new contruction across the way.

I'm not sure how full-on vintage 'correct' we will be with the actual decor. We tend to pepper things with antique, vintage and modern (think 60's modern) and I'm still sourcing ideas.

Here are a couple of photos:

house2.jpg

house6.jpg

house3.jpg

dining2.jpg

We won't be able to replace the light fixture right away so I'm thinking of painting it Chinese Red
and replacing the glass shades with tall, Art Deco sconce shades. We'll see.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
scotrace said:
Very cool and exciting. AND it has a cellar. I can't even get my mind around buying a house without a cellar!

Indeed, sir! Imagine my excitement, since I am in the wine biz! No more paying for wine storage!

Barbigirl

Practically Family
~

scotrace said:
Very cool and exciting. AND it has a cellar. I can't even get my mind around buying a house without a cellar!

Many good houses don't have basements, but I suppose they are a good location to store fur coats!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I am rather certain that a house must have a basement to qualify as a good house. Where else would you put the workbench, Christmas ornaments, old clocks that don't work, and the bundled love letters from high school? (not to mention wine, of course)

No basement is like... like... no kitchen!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
There are vast swaths of the south where basements are a great exception.
Seems odd, but that's how it is. Not really necessary in very warm climates.
Beaucaillou: Your little place is totally charming! Check out Rejuvenation.com for every sort of vintage lighting fixture. Great stuff.
Sally: That little stucco Tudor is wonderful! Lucky guy! I've always loved those little 20's vintage Tudor stuccos places. They tend to have some very nice detailing on the insides, too.

$ally

One Too Many
scotrace said:
Normally I would agree, but good luck finding one in Arizona.
dhermann1 said:
Sally: That little stucco Tudor is wonderful! Lucky guy! I've always loved those little 20's vintage stucco places. They tend to have some very nice detailing on the insides, too.
Yes, it has some adorable surprises. He is renting it with some friends. You should see the slim panel hard wood floors "I could have danced all night"
dandelion-vint said:
$ally, that house is sweet! It's like a fairytale house.
Isn't it? I swear I could break a piece off and eat it.

More pix:

living and dining room
Interior.jpg

coolfurniture.jpg

livingroom.jpg

living room fireplace
fireplace.jpg

kitchen with a vintage oven
VintageStove.jpg

and vintage table
kitchen.jpg

kitchen2.jpg

bathroom
bathroom.jpg

music room
musicroom.jpg

$ally

One Too Many
Marineabilly: Your wife's decorating style is impeccable. Those snapshots look like pages from a vintage magazine!

just_me

Practically Family
scotrace said:
I am rather certain that a house must have a basement to qualify as a good house. Where else would you put the workbench, Christmas ornaments, old clocks that don't work, and the bundled love letters from high school? (not to mention wine, of course)

Guess you're not planning on living in S. Florida. lol No basements at all. Water table is too high.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112