Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

$ally

One Too Many
MaryDeluxe said:
I think the thing to remember is that in most cases people didn't have an all 30's, 40's, 50's or 60's decade look to their homes. People had a mix of things from all different time periods. Let's face it, the year 1950 didn't roll around and everyone said, Hey it's the 50's let's get rid of all our 40's stuff and get new stuff from the 50's!

Good point, THANK YOU! A typical home of any era would/will comfortably contain many other eras, probably a few heirlooms. Heck, some people had/have flat-out artifacts. lol One of my movie watching pet peeves would be the depictions of say a WWII home that is all 1943. As if young soldiers or their families would have nothing but brand new appliances, wall paper, and furniture.

$ally

One Too Many
beaucaillou said:
Oh $ally, I'd kill for that stove in the kitchen! That's the kind that actually gets hot enough to make pizzas well.
Isn't it cool? It's a Wedgewood, so it still works very well. I have a better picture of it on my phone. Not bad for a college boy!

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
$ally, Love it even more now! The stove is great, I like the kitchen set too, and the scroll ironwork in the windows.
I love green so I'm a fan of that bathroom, especially the green toilet. The floor tile is really cool, looks like basketweave from here. And a phone in the bathroom? brilliant!

$ally

One Too Many
dandelion-vint said:
$ally, Love it even more now! And a phone in the bathroom? brilliant!
For gossip during those long nights in the tub. These pix are from when they first moved in, they've fixed up a garden now.

marineabilly

A-List Customer
$ally said:
Marineabilly: Your wife's decorating style is impeccable. Those snapshots look like pages from a vintage magazine!

Very kind words, $ally, thank you!! She does have a great eye for decorating - a great eye for the buy, too. Just last night we (more like she) picked up an amazing mid-century TV stand that may replace the credenza in the living room - a little on the steep side, but what's money when amazing furniture can be had. I will have to post pics when I can pull them off eBay (we are restricted from that site on Government computers:eusa_doh: .

swinggal

One Too Many
This is my beloved late 20s home, being sold because my ex and I broke up :( When we bought it, it had all the wrong fittings for the era, was painted disgusting 80s colours etc. We used original deco colors and I found reproduction light fittings and switches to bring it all back to how it should be :). I love this era because it is classy and simple and I dislike clutter.

We also filled it full of art deco furniture and art from the era. I hate leaving the place :( it was very special to me.

105347642ml1229266081.jpg

105347642bl1229266081.jpg

105347642al1229266081.jpg

105347642dl1229266081.jpg

105347642fl1229266081.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swinggal said:
This is my beloved late 20s home, being sold because my ex and I broke up :( When we bought it, it had all the wrong fittings for the era, was painted disgusting 80s colours etc. We used original deco colors and I found reproduction light fittings and switches to bring it all back to how it should be :). I love this era because it is classy and simple and I dislike clutter.

We also filled it full of art deco furniture and art from the era. I hate leaving the place :( it was very special to me.

That's a great looking place. It sounds like you put a lot of work into making it a truly magnificent house. Sorry to hear of your break up. Any one who would break up with someone with as good a taste for style like you is obviously a bonehead.

swinggal

One Too Many
Thanks. He ended up marrying his ex. He never even liked old places or knew anything about Art Deco until he met me. Now they are looking to buy their own. He always told me she hated 'old houses' so go figure. I live in a 40s place now (rent) but I still have all my lovely 30s furniture, art and design.

Sadly, they even stole he and I's idea of getting married at an Art Deco theatre from back when we used to talk about getting hitched one day. That kinda hurt :(

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
swinggal said:
Thanks. He ended up marrying his ex. He never even liked old places or knew anything about Art Deco until he met me. Now they are looking to buy their own. He always told me she hated 'old houses' so go figure. I live in a 40s place now (rent) but I still have all my lovely 30s furniture, art and design.

Sadly, they even stole he and I's idea of getting married at an Art Deco theatre from back when we used to talk about getting hitched one day. That kinda hurt :(

Yep, he's a bonehead !

I wish there were something I could do, but Australia is a long way off. However, should the bonehead ever make it to this side of the world, let me know. I'll look him up and give him a "proper welcome for someone befitting his station". ;) Kind of a vintage 1920's NC mountains kind of "welcome" - if you catch my drift.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
That's a shame Swinggal! I'm sorry to hear of the bad times... but, things will change and he's a grade A... well, I can't really say it here but, that burns me... it's guys like that, that give us men bad name.:mad: The coward!

Well, keeping on topic here, I have to say I love the buffet you have pictured in the dinning room... that's a beauty! One suggestion, a nice long narrow runner would be appropriate I think... and maybe two deco candlestick holders... oh yeah, that would look rather smart I think, remember, just a suggestion. ;) I've seen a lot of vintage catalogs and room dressing brochures... can't help it. :eek:

Good luck to you in recovering from such an upset.

Decodence

A-List Customer
$ally said:
Here is my sons vintage house:
WholeFrontYard.jpg

Isn't it cute? He's only 20 and already living the good life!
WOW, Owning a place in that part of Willow, and only in his 20s!! He must be doing well.

Edward

Bartender
This seems the best thread to ask a question of this ilk...

I would like to redecorate my lounge during 2009. In part this is necessary as I need much more shelving space for my books / DVDs etc. While the items on the shelves will not be particularly period looking, I would like to have something approximating a 40s look to the room. I already have a sofa that will, eventually, be replaced with something in a deco style once that becomes a necessity, but for the most part all other furniture will be purchased. I would like to keep to real wood, thogh it is going to have to be a light colour in order not to make the room feel too closed-in (15 x 11 is quite generous, but as I'm looking at covering two sides of the room with shelving units...). I realise that in order for it to be practical I may have to make a few compromises, but I would like to shoot for something that would have a bit of a late 40s vibe to it. The block I live in is of a post-war build, following the extensive remodelling of the East End of London by the Lufwaffe in the early 40s. As best as I can make out, it was first opened in 51/52, so a largely late 40s influence on the choice of home decor would make sense to me.

I'm looking at an Ikea-type budget here.... Actually, I love Ikea, and if they did suitable furniture, that would be great. I am looking primarily at book shelving (and DVD/CD), though I am hoping to find units to whih I can also add doored areas so that I can tuck my TV and stereo out of sight when not in use. Is what I have in mind possible, or a total impracticality? any suggestions of where to look for visual references? All help much appreciated...

nola89

Familiar Face
My house was built somewhere in the 1890s. To this day I find things I've never seen. I once was remodeling my bathroom and found a solid brick wall between the sheet rock of the bathroom and a bedroom. That explained why I had huge amounts of trouble hanging anything on that wall.

I don't have a camera :(

Seems to leave you out of a lot of things here in the Lounge.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
This is not my vintage home (alas) but the home of friends who threw a Holiday party this year. They have some lovely art deco pieces.

decoclock.jpg

ad3.jpg

poster.jpg

ad4.jpg

ad2-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner