Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

$ally

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
And here's the old material, with the new as a valance:
Kitchen02-02-09004reduced.jpg

So which looks most promising? Opinions?
I like the combination.

$ally

One Too Many
cookie said:
This type of 50s table with the Metal streamlined detailing is not seen Down Under ...fabulous IMHO
Isn't it fun? I'll have to get more pix now that they have fixed it up. His neighborhood is having a public home tour, I'll get pix of other home interiors too.

Decodence said:
WOW, Owning a place in that part of Willo, and only in his 20s!! He must be doing well.
I'm so proud of him. He is still working full time for the State Press and is getting other stories published elsewhere to support himself. That on top of a full scholarship and college fund means I don't have to worry about him! The student exceeds the master. His classes are going well, although ASU is doing major cuts, like everyone else this year. I'm not afraid; several more months of this then the economy will start to get better again.

P.S. One of his roomies is being shipped off to Iraq, so they are seeking another responsible room mate. No druggies; Yes fellow artists, writers, musicians. It's a quiet and creative neighborhood, they live across the street from a designer of the new metrorail. PM me for contact info.

$ally

One Too Many
2 die 4

imoldfashioned said:
This is not my vintage home (alas) but the home of friends who threw a Holiday party this year. They have some lovely art deco pieces.
decoclock.jpg

ad3.jpg

ad4.jpg

ad2-1.jpg

Gorgeous!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
And finally, turning around and looking at the door from the inside is this. The ceiling fixture I had previously held 3 60 watts bulbs. The new one has a single 150 watt bulb, which is not quite as bright. So I found a little wall lamp on Ebay for under $20, and stuck it up. It's made of either plaster or porcelain, I guess probably porcelain, and I ran the wire down the door frame and plugged it into an on/off switch that plugs into a receptacle, so it makes it a light switch.
Kitchen02-02-09010.jpg

Kitchen02-02-09006reduced.jpg

Kitchen02-02-09011.jpg

I'm having fun!

I'd suggest a valence with a scalloped edge, and painted to match the woodwork, and trimmed with a bit of red on the very bottom edge, perhaps decorated with a couple of 1930's "Kitcheney" decalcomanias featuring red.

Vintage Wallpaper in Milwalkee still has a few rolls of 1930's vintage Sanatis, I think, in some of the following patterns:

A91-68720Kitchen.jpg

A91-310Kitch.jpg

A91-24420Kitchen.jpg

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
You may remember I moved into my apartment in a beautiful 1939 vintage Art Deco apartment building in The Bronx last April. It's been a long slow process, and much of my place remains a debris field. But junk is finally making its way to the basement.
I've been making myself totally nuts over my kitchen. Here are the results so far, and I'd like .opinions on something....

And here's the old material, with the new as a valance:
Kitchen02-02-09004reduced.jpg

Opinions?

I don't like this combination. First, the reds don't match. The flowers are orange-red; the stripes look purple-red. Second, the lines are at different diagonals. The valance looks like it has 45-degree lines; the curtains look like they have 60-degree lines.

I think you will have a hard time finding a fabric to be a good valance. The curtains really have two patterns: floral and plaid. A patterned valance would make it three.

I do like the idea of a wood valance painted either white or the same color as the walls. A motif to match the curtains would be very sweet.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Paisley: I'm leaning in that direction, too. The purplishness in the plaid is caused by the image being small, but I still agree that it doesn't quite go. I have to figure out how to make the little valence cornice thingy.
And those Selex Decals are so cool! I'm tempted, but I don't want to make it all cutesy poo. The previous owners had decorated it with light blue paint, and the floor and back splash tiles are a very neutral light gray, with just a very tiny hint of blue. I'd love to replace them, but I totally don't want to make that kind of investment.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
bstrickmma said:
Our house in Bremerton, Washington (1999-2006). Circa 1936:

n1195783503_30131375_4105.jpg

n1195783503_30131354_5344.jpg
Very nice! I like your signature comment, too. Mike Tyson had another way of putting it: "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face!"
How totally cool it must be to be a Coast Guard officer in Newport!!!

LordBest

Practically Family
Here is my family home, built in the Australian Federation style c1910. Apologies about the disjointed nature of the pictures, due to some large trees it is very difficult to get a decent shot of the frontage.
HousePorch.jpg

HouseFrontLeft.jpg

HouseFrontRight.jpg

The main hall:
HouseFrontdoor.jpg

HouseHall2.jpg

HouseHall.jpg

My mother and I are planning on making the sitting room thoroughly period, with no modern furniture/knicknacks, but that is a while off yet.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
This is a corner of my Drawing room showing the "Winter" arrangement of furniture around the fireplace.

Im considering painting the walls Orange and the ceiling Black, to match my "Shocking" font and my two Italian Greyhounds.

I had to Crop the photograph as the rest of the room was rather untidy, I will take another Photograph showing the Summer arrangement of the room (as it is now) showing more of the Architectural features of the room

3321968702_dd9d01d4ac.jpg

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I may have to have some wiring updating done, I pray not since I don't want to spend the money, but I checked the wiring cabinet and saw this label that I thought might interest folks. The building was built in 1905 so this label must date around then as well.

label.jpg

tuppence

Practically Family
LordBest said:
Here is my family home, built in the Australian Federation style c1910. Apologies about the disjointed nature of the pictures, due to some large trees it is very difficult to get a decent shot of the frontage.
HousePorch.jpg

HouseFrontLeft.jpg

HouseFrontRight.jpg

The main hall:
HouseFrontdoor.jpg

HouseHall2.jpg

HouseHall.jpg

My mother and I are planning on making the sitting room thoroughly period, with no modern furniture/knicknacks, but that is a while off yet.

Beautiful House LordBest
Thank goodness no-one ever painted the wood work.

tuppence

Practically Family
It should be a crime.

goldwyn girl said:
There was a federation house next to my parents, fireplace in every room, beautiful woodwork, bull nose verandah. The new owners demolished it and put up a Mc Mansion :eek: Yours is fabulous, thanks for sharing it.

I can't believe people would do that. Not only does it destroy an old house. It ruins the whole street. If they want a Mc Mansion they shoild move to the outer suburbs.

kampkatz

Practically Family
LordBest has a gem of a house. My wife's grandparents had one with similar features that was built in the early 1920's. Developers came by in the late 60's and demolished all the houses on the block. They were replaced with 20storey apartment buildings. It's sad when "progress" means destroying true art.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21