Show us your vintage home!

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by LolitaHaze, Jun 13, 2006.

1. $ally

$ally One Too Many

I like the combination.

2. $ally

$ally One Too Many

Isn't it fun? I'll have to get more pix now that they have fixed it up. His neighborhood is having a public home tour, I'll get pix of other home interiors too.

I'm so proud of him. He is still working full time for the State Press and is getting other stories published elsewhere to support himself. That on top of a full scholarship and college fund means I don't have to worry about him! The student exceeds the master. His classes are going well, although ASU is doing major cuts, like everyone else this year. I'm not afraid; several more months of this then the economy will start to get better again.

P.S. One of his roomies is being shipped off to Iraq, so they are seeking another responsible room mate. No druggies; Yes fellow artists, writers, musicians. It's a quiet and creative neighborhood, they live across the street from a designer of the new metrorail. PM me for contact info.

3. $ally

$ally One Too Many

2 die 4

Gorgeous!

4. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

I'd suggest a valence with a scalloped edge, and painted to match the woodwork, and trimmed with a bit of red on the very bottom edge, perhaps decorated with a couple of 1930's "Kitcheney" decalcomanias featuring red.

Vintage Wallpaper in Milwalkee still has a few rolls of 1930's vintage Sanatis, I think, in some of the following patterns:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Here are A few 1930's or 1940's decalcomanias that are currently listed on eBay:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colorful, kitchy, and fun, but most assuredly not elegant.

6. bstrickmma

bstrickmma New in Town

Our house in Bremerton, Washington (1999-2006). Circa 1936:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. $ally

$ally One Too Many

Indeed. The average late 1930s kitchen was often bright, busy and ... well... gaudy.

8. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

I don't like this combination. First, the reds don't match. The flowers are orange-red; the stripes look purple-red. Second, the lines are at different diagonals. The valance looks like it has 45-degree lines; the curtains look like they have 60-degree lines.

I think you will have a hard time finding a fabric to be a good valance. The curtains really have two patterns: floral and plaid. A patterned valance would make it three.

I do like the idea of a wood valance painted either white or the same color as the walls. A motif to match the curtains would be very sweet.

9. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Paisley: I'm leaning in that direction, too. The purplishness in the plaid is caused by the image being small, but I still agree that it doesn't quite go. I have to figure out how to make the little valence cornice thingy.
    And those Selex Decals are so cool! I'm tempted, but I don't want to make it all cutesy poo. The previous owners had decorated it with light blue paint, and the floor and back splash tiles are a very neutral light gray, with just a very tiny hint of blue. I'd love to replace them, but I totally don't want to make that kind of investment.

10. dhermann1

dhermann1 I'll Lock Up

Very nice! I like your signature comment, too. Mike Tyson had another way of putting it: "Everybody has a plan, until they get punched in the face!"
    How totally cool it must be to be a Coast Guard officer in Newport!!!

11. Sefton

Sefton Call Me a Cab

Beautiful house. You must miss living in it (I would).

12. LordBest

LordBest Practically Family

Here is my family home, built in the Australian Federation style c1910. Apologies about the disjointed nature of the pictures, due to some large trees it is very difficult to get a decent shot of the frontage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The main hall:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My mother and I are planning on making the sitting room thoroughly period, with no modern furniture/knicknacks, but that is a while off yet.

13. This is a corner of my Drawing room showing the "Winter" arrangement of furniture around the fireplace.

Im considering painting the walls Orange and the ceiling Black, to match my "Shocking" font and my two Italian Greyhounds.

I had to Crop the photograph as the rest of the room was rather untidy, I will take another Photograph showing the Summer arrangement of the room (as it is now) showing more of the Architectural features of the room

[​IMG]

14. imoldfashioned

imoldfashioned Call Me a Cab

I may have to have some wiring updating done, I pray not since I don't want to spend the money, but I checked the wiring cabinet and saw this label that I thought might interest folks. The building was built in 1905 so this label must date around then as well.

[​IMG]

15. tuppence

tuppence Practically Family

Beautiful House LordBest
    Thank goodness no-one ever painted the wood work.

16. goldwyn girl

goldwyn girl One Too Many

There was a federation house next to my parents, fireplace in every room, beautiful woodwork, bull nose verandah. The new owners demolished it and put up a Mc Mansion :eek: Yours is fabulous, thanks for sharing it.

17. tuppence

tuppence Practically Family

It should be a crime.

I can't believe people would do that. Not only does it destroy an old house. It ruins the whole street. If they want a Mc Mansion they shoild move to the outer suburbs.

18. kampkatz

kampkatz Practically Family

LordBest has a gem of a house. My wife's grandparents had one with similar features that was built in the early 1920's. Developers came by in the late 60's and demolished all the houses on the block. They were replaced with 20storey apartment buildings. It's sad when "progress" means destroying true art.

19. goldwyn girl

goldwyn girl One Too Many

What can I say.....people are stupid

20. Foofoogal

Foofoogal Banned

I so want that home LordBest. Fabulous. :eusa_clap