Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
AmateisGal said:
Vitanola, I am so very sorry for your loss. Those pictures just break my heart.

Airgrabber - Gorgeous house!

Vitanola - I just scrolled to the top of this page, and :eek: what a disaster! As a fellow Victrola and old radio collector (as well as Monitor-Top Luster), you have my sincerest sympathies. That is just absolutely heart-wrenching!

AmateisGal - thank you for the compliments! It's certainly a work in progress, and still requires much attention.

kampkatz

Practically Family
Vitanola, my sympathy also. Airgrabber, that is a charming house. Is it in Bridgeton? I lived in Millville from '81 to '84. My insurance claims adjusting job took me to Bridgeton on occasion. I have been in rural Pennsylvania since then.

airgrabber666

One of the Regulars
kampkatz said:
Vitanola, my sympathy also. Airgrabber, that is a charming house. Is it in Bridgeton? I lived in Millville from '81 to '84. My insurance claims adjusting job took me to Bridgeton on occasion. I have been in rural Pennsylvania since then.

Yes, in fact it is in Bridgeton. Probably not too much has changed since you were here in 1984! In any event, thank you for the kind words. It's been home since 2006, and has been quite a project.

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Just want to comment on how lovely everyone's homes are.

My husband is just not into the vintage look although he does like the 'medieval' look.

We are going to redo one of our bathrooms soon. Our home was built in the 60's sometime and still has original tile on the walls and hardwood floors. He did refinish the original kitchen cabinets recently and I'm working on him to get a bit more of vintage look into it.

Those of you with spouses who aren't into it----any way I can help to convince him?

My boudoir (which is a spare room/my dressing room) is going to be vintage. I already have a vintage vanity, dresser and vintage looking bed. Just need to get the rest of it going!

Hi Everybody. I'm Tom and I'm new in town. Thought I'd post here as a home says the most about you. I don't have my own house yet, I just graduated high school and I'm only 18, but I may be buying my own place soon. I do have my room filled with some of my finer living items though and would like to show you all.
Love the site!

room004.jpg

room003.jpg

room002.jpg

room001.jpg

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Tom,
Nice furniture collection! I grew up with a headboard almost exactly like that...I'm 45 now, but I can remember "stashing my stuff" in those cubbyholes, when I was 10 or 12 years old....:)
Rob

Ghostsoldier said:
Tom,
Nice furniture collection! I grew up with a headboard almost exactly like that...I'm 45 now, but I can remember "stashing my stuff" in those cubbyholes, when I was 10 or 12 years old....:)
Rob

Thanks for the story! I actually have a second bed just like it, and an additional 'tall dresser' at our other house. The beds used to be together with a common mattress. This was my grandparents furniture set from 1956. It was at our other house until I glommed onto it a couple years back. My folks were going to toss it out. When I pulled the drawers out, the original bassett paperwork from 56 was stashed in there. The mattress and boxspring are vintage as well, dating to 1960.

Ghostsoldier

Call Me a Cab
Speaking of "glomming" onto something, until last year (when I suffered a bout of style-revisionist idiocy concerning my living room fixtures), I actually owned my grandmother's sofa from the early 50's....I'm no expert in period furniture, but I can describe it: Green patterned vinyl (taut as a drumhead), (no lie) at least 8 feet long with 4 cushions, the top of the arms sat at about 18" from the floor, and the top of the back was only 30" tall, and it had 6 spindly, 3" wooden legs...it was a mile long, or so it seemed, positively screamed "atomic age", and felt like you were sitting on a stone mechanic's creeper or a steel footstool (perhaps it was designed for elves:D )...either way, I got the bug to rid myself of it, and took it to the Goodwill...I am kicking myself now, everytime I see a collection like yours....:)
Rob

Well, we all do things like that. We had tons of hand-me-down atomic age treasures in my house growing up, but my folks are products of that era and hated it, so that stuff all got thrown away lickety split. If not, I'd have the most impressive Atomic Age collection of items that anyone had ever gotten for free! Now I've had to start over from near scratch. Almost bought a couch similar to what you describe the other day at Saint Vinnies, more 60's though with that thick orange fabric. It was classy and would match an old recliner I have. Maybe once I move out of the folkses house. Would like to see a pic of your old couch though!

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
My first apartment is in an old neighborhood grocery store that was built in the 1930s or '40s. Looks a little dumpy on the outside but is nice on the inside. I haven't finished moving in or hanging pics on the walls.

Study/bedroom:
apartment002.jpg

apartment001.jpg

Huge closet space, all if it used up:
apartment003.jpg

Living room, various angles:
apartment004.jpg

apartment005.jpg

apartment006.jpg

apartment007.jpg

Not pictured is the bathroom or kitchen.

Vintage home defense, not necessarily vintage:
apartment008.jpg

JennyLou

Practically Family
Atomic Glee said:
Looking out the old, original 1929 windows at Burnett Park. Yes, I'm aware of the broken blind - haven't gotten a chance to fix that yet. :)

174631232_5bed202dac_b.jpg

Up in the loft bedroom, aka the "Geek Cave." Bettie Page and Star Trek, together at last!

We're working on getting some more vintage stuff for the place - I feel that since the building itself has such great history, we ought to honor it.

How about yours?

Love the Star Trek poster!

thunderw21 said:
Much appreciated, Tom!

I've 'only' spent 2 years at this hobby/addiction. ;)
That's it?! I've been collecting since I was about 13, but I do have a very large breweriana collection that I have been doing since 13 and really got heavy into the vintage houswares, etc just recently. About a year ago. Nonetheless, I'm very impressed you were able to get your hands on all that in 2 years!

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:

Maybe it's just me...but a CLOSE look at this image is....verrrry interesting, I think. No idea how consciously composed it was...but even so...:

CLASSIC STYLE and SHOTGUN NEWS!; Hopper and Tom Cruise!; [presumably] the Bible and ALL THOSE REMOTE CONTROLS!--and a Briar stuck in for good measure.

To most of the world, this would be....strange beyond belief. It always gets to me when a reviewer, discussing some biography or other, opines "HOW could it be that [insert name here] was able to hold such seemingly completely opposite views so passionately?" It seems to me that that's pretty much the human condition--it certainly is mine! And for those of us who hang around places like the FL? Somehow, it all seems to hang together, in a way...although we seem to be stuck between two worlds, trying to make the best of it....

"Skeet"

PS: Nice apartment: enjoy living there! You've got the toys to make it homey....

AnnaMaria

New in Town
This is how my old appartment used to look.I'm turning it into a sewing studio now since I moved in with my fiancee.

Kitchen

kk.jpg

Living room (lovely view isn't it)

Lgenheten.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112