Show us your vintage home!

Discussion in 'Your Vintage Home' started by LolitaHaze, Jun 13, 2006.

1. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Vitanola, I am so very sorry for your loss. Those pictures just break my heart.

Airgrabber - Gorgeous house!

2. airgrabber666

airgrabber666 One of the Regulars

Vitanola - I just scrolled to the top of this page, and :eek: what a disaster! As a fellow Victrola and old radio collector (as well as Monitor-Top Luster), you have my sincerest sympathies. That is just absolutely heart-wrenching!

AmateisGal - thank you for the compliments! It's certainly a work in progress, and still requires much attention.

3. kampkatz

kampkatz Practically Family

Vitanola, my sympathy also. Airgrabber, that is a charming house. Is it in Bridgeton? I lived in Millville from '81 to '84. My insurance claims adjusting job took me to Bridgeton on occasion. I have been in rural Pennsylvania since then.

4. airgrabber666

airgrabber666 One of the Regulars

Yes, in fact it is in Bridgeton. Probably not too much has changed since you were here in 1984! In any event, thank you for the kind words. It's been home since 2006, and has been quite a project.

5. vampygirl13

vampygirl13 One of the Regulars

Just want to comment on how lovely everyone's homes are.

My husband is just not into the vintage look although he does like the 'medieval' look.

We are going to redo one of our bathrooms soon. Our home was built in the 60's sometime and still has original tile on the walls and hardwood floors. He did refinish the original kitchen cabinets recently and I'm working on him to get a bit more of vintage look into it.

Those of you with spouses who aren't into it----any way I can help to convince him?

My boudoir (which is a spare room/my dressing room) is going to be vintage. I already have a vintage vanity, dresser and vintage looking bed. Just need to get the rest of it going!

6. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Hi Everybody. I'm Tom and I'm new in town. Thought I'd post here as a home says the most about you. I don't have my own house yet, I just graduated high school and I'm only 18, but I may be buying my own place soon. I do have my room filled with some of my finer living items though and would like to show you all.
    Love the site!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. feltfan

feltfan My Mail is Forwarded Here

So sorry to hear this. From what I gather here you
    had an outstanding collection. What a nightmare.
    Hang in there.

8. Ghostsoldier

Ghostsoldier Call Me a Cab

Tom,
    Nice furniture collection! I grew up with a headboard almost exactly like that...I'm 45 now, but I can remember "stashing my stuff" in those cubbyholes, when I was 10 or 12 years old....:)
    Rob

9. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Thanks for the story! I actually have a second bed just like it, and an additional 'tall dresser' at our other house. The beds used to be together with a common mattress. This was my grandparents furniture set from 1956. It was at our other house until I glommed onto it a couple years back. My folks were going to toss it out. When I pulled the drawers out, the original bassett paperwork from 56 was stashed in there. The mattress and boxspring are vintage as well, dating to 1960.

10. Ghostsoldier

Speaking of "glomming" onto something, until last year (when I suffered a bout of style-revisionist idiocy concerning my living room fixtures), I actually owned my grandmother's sofa from the early 50's....I'm no expert in period furniture, but I can describe it: Green patterned vinyl (taut as a drumhead), (no lie) at least 8 feet long with 4 cushions, the top of the arms sat at about 18" from the floor, and the top of the back was only 30" tall, and it had 6 spindly, 3" wooden legs...it was a mile long, or so it seemed, positively screamed "atomic age", and felt like you were sitting on a stone mechanic's creeper or a steel footstool (perhaps it was designed for elves:D )...either way, I got the bug to rid myself of it, and took it to the Goodwill...I am kicking myself now, everytime I see a collection like yours....:)
    Rob

11. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Well, we all do things like that. We had tons of hand-me-down atomic age treasures in my house growing up, but my folks are products of that era and hated it, so that stuff all got thrown away lickety split. If not, I'd have the most impressive Atomic Age collection of items that anyone had ever gotten for free! Now I've had to start over from near scratch. Almost bought a couch similar to what you describe the other day at Saint Vinnies, more 60's though with that thick orange fabric. It was classy and would match an old recliner I have. Maybe once I move out of the folkses house. Would like to see a pic of your old couch though!

12. Ghostsoldier

I'll see if I can dig up a vintage family photo!;)
    Rob

13. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

My first apartment is in an old neighborhood grocery store that was built in the 1930s or '40s. Looks a little dumpy on the outside but is nice on the inside. I haven't finished moving in or hanging pics on the walls.

Study/bedroom:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Huge closet space, all if it used up:
    [​IMG]

Living room, various angles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not pictured is the bathroom or kitchen.

Vintage home defense, not necessarily vintage:
    [​IMG]

14. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

Thunder, love your fine collection of suits and hats, you must have spent years on it! congrats on the apartment!

15. thunderw21

thunderw21 I'll Lock Up

Much appreciated, Tom!

I've 'only' spent 2 years at this hobby/addiction. ;)

16. JennyLou

JennyLou Practically Family

Love the Star Trek poster!

17. AtomicEraTom

AtomicEraTom

That's it?! I've been collecting since I was about 13, but I do have a very large breweriana collection that I have been doing since 13 and really got heavy into the vintage houswares, etc just recently. About a year ago. Nonetheless, I'm very impressed you were able to get your hands on all that in 2 years!

18. "Skeet" McD

"Skeet" McD Practically Family

Maybe it's just me...but a CLOSE look at this image is....verrrry interesting, I think. No idea how consciously composed it was...but even so...:

CLASSIC STYLE and SHOTGUN NEWS!; Hopper and Tom Cruise!; [presumably] the Bible and ALL THOSE REMOTE CONTROLS!--and a Briar stuck in for good measure.

To most of the world, this would be....strange beyond belief. It always gets to me when a reviewer, discussing some biography or other, opines "HOW could it be that [insert name here] was able to hold such seemingly completely opposite views so passionately?" It seems to me that that's pretty much the human condition--it certainly is mine! And for those of us who hang around places like the FL? Somehow, it all seems to hang together, in a way...although we seem to be stuck between two worlds, trying to make the best of it....

"Skeet"

PS: Nice apartment: enjoy living there! You've got the toys to make it homey....

19. AnnaMaria

AnnaMaria New in Town

This is how my old appartment used to look.I'm turning it into a sewing studio now since I moved in with my fiancee.

Kitchen

[​IMG]

Living room (lovely view isn't it)

[​IMG]

20. Dr Doran

Dr Doran My Mail is Forwarded Here

I like the living room a lot. Fine light. When is the chairs and sofa set from?