Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

rue

So sorry. You had the place looking swell.

Thank you LocktownDog :)

Well, Rue, maybe if you think of it as an extended "practice run" -- ;)

You said you still have six months -- how long after you find out where you're going do you actually go? That is, how much actual lead time do you have to find "the right place" in the new town?

lol

It can be anywhere from a month to two months. I'm quick when it comes to looking for a house. We decided on this one in a weekend. Selling the one we're in is the problem.

Effingham

A-List Customer
Hey, I used to live in Delavan, not far from Kenosha (
emot-gonk.gif
), when I was editing Dragon Magazine.

Wisconsin's a nice place, with great people. But those winters....
emot-smithicide.gif

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm not sure yet, but he gets a wish list and we picked Prescott, AZ as number one, because it's close to our families, has old homes and because it gets snow and we also picked 5 places on the east coast, so I could still have snow. I love snow lol He gets his orders sometime in the next 6 months, so we won't really know exactly where for quite a while.

I also love snow, I won't move anyplace that doesn't get snow. Sorry to hear about the move. I'm a settler, myself, so I don't particularly care to move. I make a space my own through a lot of sweat and hardwork, and I hate having to leave. I get very attached. We're going to have to move in a few years, I dread this, because I love the house we are in. But it doesn't fit our long term plans.

Perhaps when you move you can plant fruit trees? I recommend the Liberty apple tree, it produced in the second year for us, and is right on schedule to produce a ton of apples this third year (will pay for itself this year, fingers crossed).

rue

I also love snow, I won't move anyplace that doesn't get snow. Sorry to hear about the move. I'm a settler, myself, so I don't particularly care to move. I make a space my own through a lot of sweat and hardwork, and I hate having to leave. I get very attached. We're going to have to move in a few years, I dread this, because I love the house we are in. But it doesn't fit our long term plans.

Perhaps when you move you can plant fruit trees? I recommend the Liberty apple tree, it produced in the second year for us, and is right on schedule to produce a ton of apples this third year (will pay for itself this year, fingers crossed).

I wanted to plant some here, but I'll have to wait until we move. In fact a whole lot of gardening plans are being put away for the next house.
Ah well..... let's get back to houses instead of my depressing news ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
And BTW, who cares where Rue ends up living as long a she has internet connection......

Wait....did I really say that aloud............

Vintage? How 'bout vintage 1993?

We closed on this place on Dec. 3, 2009. Thank goodness it was early in the month and we were able to stay in our existing place through the 31st, because it took most of that time for me to clean (the place was empty -- mostly -- but hardly clean when we got the keys) and paint and still have a few days left for moving our clothing and furnishings.

I deferred to the dewy-eyed bride for paint colors; she mostly deferred to me as to "new" (read thrift stores, craigslist, etc.) furniture and its placement. The oak floors went in last summer. With that major piece out of the way, it was down to the lesser details.

As is the case with just about all of us, our home is very much a work in progress, and likely always will be, for as long as we're here. So I expect to be adding a few items and subtracting others, but I'm happy with the essential vibe of the place, so whatever changes I make will be with an eye toward enhancing that.

It's an open floor plan; the living room and kitchen and dining area and main hallway are all of a piece, and that's how I approached furnishing and decorating it all. (My photographic skills won't be winning me any awards, nor will my housekeeping practices. But it's presentable, I think, in both cases, if only minimally so on occasion.)

GEDC0130.jpg

GEDC0131.jpg

GEDC0135.jpg

GEDC0136.jpg

I've aimed for a somewhat different theme in the library/office/cave. It's a 9 foot by 9 foot room with no windows accessed via a pocket doorway immediately off the living room. It had originally served as the office for the staff assisting the person who had the place built -- a quadriplegic on oxygen, who required 'round-the-clock care. We painted it red (again, the missus's choice) and turned it into a cozy (we think) little nest. The couch is a hide-a-bed. When it is pulled out, it pretty well fills the space, but everyone who has spent the night in this room reports that it all makes for a very restful time.

GEDC0144.jpg

There's more, of course. But with the exception of the bathrooms, it isn't as far along as the parts of the place I've posted here. We're getting there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner