Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Brinybay

Practically Family
You guys are like me, fantasizing about what's inside that space (about 30"X30"X 95"), except I fantasize about a stash of bootleggers loot or valuable artifacts like this guy found inside the wall of his 1938 house: http://tinyurl.com/ppgtshk.

Most likely is it was a flue for a pot-belly stove or maybe a coal chute. Here's a view from the outside. The boarded up part is between the bedroom window to the left and the bathroom window on the right. I've been tempted to pry it off and peak inside, but afraid I may damage something and make it leak.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
It helps, thanks, especially examples of small bathrooms. I guess in the size category, ours is definitely "period". We're aiming for as much of the look and feel as is practical, e.g. she doesn't want a claw foot tub, too hard to clean around it. She also wants a low-flush toilet which weren't around then. I tried to steer her away from that idea until the remodeler said we can find them in vintage style. We're going to use period-style tile on the floor, walls, and tub/shower enclosure. Pedestal sink will replace the worn sink/cabinet combo. Marble top for the vanity, and the mysterious walled-in dead space in the corner will be opened up to use as a linen cabinet. I've been very curious about that space. On the exterior of the house, there's what looks like a boarded-up window or maybe a flue on the other side of the space. Why they walled it in instead of leaving it open is the mystery.

You might be suprised at how easy it is to clean around (and under) a claw-foot bath tub. Easier than cleaning a tiled surround, actually. We have four in our house, along with one "modern" bathroom, which we no longer use save for the occasional guest, for it is simply too much bother to keep clean.

As far as the toilet is concerned, our most satisfactory units are the pair of Standard Sanitary "Riacto" low tank units dating to around 1915. They can easily flush anything. In fact I worry that one of them was responsible or the disappearance of our cat. Well, not really, but...

Now, if there is any possibility of creating some small additional storage space for paper, cleaning supplies, and such, one might consider using either a pedestal or wall-hung sink. Vanities not only mark a bathroom as "modern", but in a small room they add to the laus topic effect, and the dark, airless cupboard tends to be less than strictly sanitary.

Having had marble surfaces in a bathroom, I'd advise against them as a maintenence headache.

The above observations are informed by my experiences as a serial remodeler, with six ( soon to be seven) houses and twenty-two bathrooms to my credit. YMMV as they say.

Brinybay

Practically Family
You might be suprised at how easy it is to clean around (and under) a claw-foot bath tub. Easier than cleaning a tiled surround, actually. We have four in our house, along with one "modern" bathroom, which we no longer use save for the occasional guest, for it is simply too much bother to keep clean.

As far as the toilet is concerned, our most satisfactory units are the pair of Standard Sanitary "Riacto" low tank units dating to around 1915. They can easily flush anything. In fact I worry that one of them was responsible or the disappearance of our cat. Well, not really, but...

Now, if there is any possibility of creating some small additional storage space for paper, cleaning supplies, and such, one might consider using either a pedestal or wall-hung sink. Vanities not only mark a bathroom as "modern", but in a small room they add to the laus topic effect, and the dark, airless cupboard tends to be less than strictly sanitary.

Having had marble surfaces in a bathroom, I'd advise against them as a maintenence headache.

The above observations are informed by my experiences as a serial remodeler, with six ( soon to be seven) houses and twenty-two bathrooms to my credit. YMMV as they say.

I appreciate your input as an experienced remodeler, especially of period bathrooms. Our plans aren't set in stone (pardon the pun) yet. The only thing certain is it's going to get gutted and redone, it's long overdue. Are these the toilets you were referring to? http://tinyurl.com/ookqtv6. We had in mind something like this, it's a low flush plus it looks more vintage: http://tinyurl.com/ngdlpyt.

What makes marble hard to care for? We only planned to have the vanity topped with marble. The bathroom will consist of a pedestal sink, toilet, and whatever tub/shower style we finally decide on. Walls and floor will be tiled in period style. On the wall opposite the sink and toilet will be the vanity with space to sit so my wife can put on her war-paint, and linen cabinets.

Miss Slapstick

New in Town
I made a video of my home, or rather the memorabilia in my home, as a part of my film preservation project.
My home is mainly early 1900s,20s some 30s as far as interior goes. But the house, or cabin, is from the 40s.
You can also spot some vintage clothing..

[video=youtube_share;LYa4-wQAnS4]http://youtu.be/LYa4-wQAnS4[/video]

I should probably try post some images as well sometime :eek:

Last edited:

Mike K.

One Too Many
Just recently remodeled the bedroom with a "new" set of furniture. It was originally purchased in 1922 by a young couple that immigrated to the United States and was passed down to their daughter, who then sold it to me. The daughter was comforted knowing that I wasn't some antiques dealer looking to resell the furniture, but rather someone with a sincere appreciation for Golden Era history. Everything is in original condition. Complimenting the furniture are a few of my other finds such as the Telechron alarm clock (bakelite) and working Automatic Electric telephone. I still need to decorate the bare walls.
376905_10151034371582108_638136712_n_zps03614edc.jpg

577399_10151034351922108_256980038_n_zpsb7eacc3e.jpg

318722_10151034352117108_1050809563_n_zpsdd3a3a85.jpg

530670_10151034371427108_1569427427_n_zps65ceb044.jpg

Telechron7H125_zpsd1dbede2.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just recently remodeled the bedroom with a "new" set of furniture. It was originally purchased in 1922 by a young couple that immigrated to the United States and was passed down to their daughter, who then sold it to me. The daughter was comforted knowing that I wasn't some antiques dealer looking to resell the furniture, but rather someone with a sincere appreciation for Golden Era history. Everything is in original condition. Complimenting the furniture are a few of my other finds such as the Telechron alarm clock (bakelite) and working Automatic Electric telephone. I still need to decorate the bare walls.

Very nice set of furniture you have there.

Funny you say "new set of furniture." In the front room of my house is the living room furniture my grandparents bought around 1922. It was bought when my aunt Hazel became old enough to start dating. My aunt died in 2006, just a few months shy of her 99th birthday. She still, after all those years, referred to that furniture as "the new furniture."

Big Man

Very nice set of furniture you have there.

Funny you say "new set of furniture." In the front room of my house is the living room furniture my grandparents bought around 1922. It was bought when my aunt Hazel became old enough to start dating. My aunt died in 2006, just a few months shy of her 99th birthday. She still, after all those years, referred to that furniture as "the new furniture."

Big Man

"New" to my home.

Yes, I understand that. Reading your post reminded me of how my grandmother and aunt always referred to their "new" furniture (that was bought over 80 years ago). Now, whenever someone comes to the house, I always show them the furniture in the front room and tell them the story about how it was always referred to as "the new furniture."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Just curious, Dan ...

Are property taxes and/or insurance covered by y'all's monthly maintenance fees? Or heating? Or water/sewer/garbage utilities? If so, NYC ain't necessarily as pricey as we hicks have been led to believe.

Property taxes are totally covered by my monthly maintenance, as is heat and hot water. Gas for cooking and electricity I pay for myself. The thing about this area, and the bronx in general is that it suffers/benefits from the HUGELY negative stereotype associated with the name "Bronx". People seem to think it's still burning, but those images are 35 years old now. The Bronx is still the poorest caounty in New York State by most statistical measurements. But the impoverished rural areas of the state are much worse off in MANY ways. The nprthern half of the boro is much nicer, and really the southern half has improved drastically. They wouldn't have invested $1.5 billion in a new Yankee Stadium if things were that bad.
There are lots of "relatively" affordable nabes in NY, if you're willing to have a longish commute. And many of those outer nabes are developing their own local cache, Astoria being a good example.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Mike K.: That's an absolutely GORGEOUS set of Waterfall bedroom furniture you have there, but I strongly suspect it's a little newer than what you think. My guess is closer to mid to late 30s. But still, phenomenal condition.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mike K.: That's an absolutely GORGEOUS set of Waterfall bedroom furniture you have there, but I strongly suspect it's a little newer than what you think. My guess is closer to mid to late 30s. But still, phenomenal condition.

Thank you kindly! I couldn't believe my luck when I found it. I suspected (still do somewhat) that the furniture is late 1930s; however, I talked to the seller at length to get the history. The seller's parents immigrated to the U.S. in 1922 and they supposedly purchased the bedroom set within a year of arriving. Granted this is all recollection so there could certainly be some errors regarding the dates. What matters most to me is that it's a complete matching set. Unfortunately I have not found any sort of maker's mark on any of the pieces - this would certainly help date the set.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
376905_10151034371582108_638136712_n_zps03614edc.jpg

577399_10151034351922108_256980038_n_zpsb7eacc3e.jpg

318722_10151034352117108_1050809563_n_zpsdd3a3a85.jpg

530670_10151034371427108_1569427427_n_zps65ceb044.jpg

Telechron7H125_zpsd1dbede2.jpg

Gorgeous!!! My grandmother has a vanity like that, but it needs some TLC. She has it downstairs at her place right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy