Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage home!

Dirk Wainscotting

A-List Customer
The bathroom tile work looks very much like a 1930s public convenience we had in our village. When these places were little spic-and-span art deco temples rather than the ugly things of today (if you have them at all).

This renovation must be costing you a fortune.

The bathroom tile work looks very much like a 1930s public convenience we had in our village. When these places were little spic-and-span art deco temples rather than the ugly things of today (if you have them at all).

This renovation must be costing you a fortune.

It's amazing how nice public buildings were (some not all) back in the day. In this city, there are many of them still standing and with the original tile work, etc., I sometime can't believe that they did what they did back then. There are some subway stations that are works of tile art in this city (and many cities).

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Well, I am officially a homeowner. I just bought a 1952 Cape Cod. It has been updated and has been very well taken care of. I am so relieved we found this place. It fit our budget and (most) of our requirements. Good thing, too, as the house we're in now (a rental) is literally falling apart. The foundation has a HUGE crack in it that the landlady refuses to fix. With the snow melting, water iss coming through the walls in the basement. It's really a shame that she hasn't taken care of this place. It's a 1951 Cape Cod (yep, I like the style) and has good bones to it and some really neat features. But she has refused to give it the proper care it needs.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I am officially a homeowner. I just bought a 1952 Cape Cod. It has been updated and has been very well taken care of. I am so relieved we found this place. It fit our budget and (most) of our requirements. Good thing, too, as the house we're in now (a rental) is literally falling apart. The foundation has a HUGE crack in it that the landlady refuses to fix. With the snow melting, water iss coming through the walls in the basement. It's really a shame that she hasn't taken care of this place. It's a 1951 Cape Cod (yep, I like the style) and has good bones to it and some really neat features. But she has refused to give it the proper care it needs.

Congratulations! I will be looking forward to seeing pictures of your new home.

Congratulations - I am very excited and happy for you. It sounds wonderful. As others have said, can't wait to see pictures. I am a big fan of Cape Cod houses, they are a classic for a reason. The absolute best of luck.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Glad you found a house you like! Nothing like owning your own place. Beast wishes on many many years of happiness!

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Owning your first home can be such a thrilling experience. I hope everything is in good shape. No doubt you will be making some touch-ups to suit your own tastes. We wish many blessed years of comfortable living to you.

Thank you! The current owners have definitely done a lot of improvements, so we shouldn't need to do much. But I can't wait to put my own touches to the place. :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I'm in a 1955 cape cod. Love it!

I love Cape Cods! :)

The whole process is slightly overwhelming, though. We had the home inspection yesterday and there are a few issues that we want to the sellers to address - one being a 30-year old A/C compressor unit. I don't even know if you can get parts of this thing anymore, and one thing I absolutely MUST have it a/c during our very humid and hot summers.

I love Cape Cods! :)

The whole process is slightly overwhelming, though. We had the home inspection yesterday and there are a few issues that we want to the sellers to address - one being a 30-year old A/C compressor unit. I don't even know if you can get parts of this thing anymore, and one thing I absolutely MUST have it a/c during our very humid and hot summers.

Hang in there my friend, we went through similar issue (as most everyone does) and ended up negotiating a 50/50 split with the seller for most of them. Fair - who knows, but it wasn't worth starting over. Funny though (not really), we were told all three PTAC units (combined heating and air conditioning that are through the wall in the each room - a crazy, mainly NYC thing) were 3-4 years old and the guy who checked it out said, yup, they look about that, although he said the living room might be older. We asked the seller, he said he bought all three and showed us a receipt for two but said he couldn't find the third receipt for the living room one. At that point, we were suspicious, but it wasn't worth it - fighting, staring over, etc, not worth it - and just put a place holder in our minds that we might have to buy a new one soon.

The living room one ran for a month, stopped working and the repair cost would have been 50% of a new one, but we found out (when the unit was apart and they could find the serial number, etc.) that it was 13 years old. So, we bought a new one. Not fun, but we kinda knew it. In the end, the only real costs is I lost all respect for the seller. You might want to price out what a new A/C unit would cost you and then negotiate some percentage of that into a reduced price if possible. My last piece of unsolicited advice is to assume some amount of unexpected costs, check if your budget can afford it and, then, if so, move forward knowing that the money will eventually get spent. Good luck, the house is beautiful and I hope you get it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Hang in there my friend, we went through similar issue (as most everyone does) and ended up negotiating a 50/50 split with the seller for most of them. Fair - who knows, but it wasn't worth starting over. Funny though (not really), we were told all three PTAC units (combined heating and air conditioning that are through the wall in the each room - a crazy, mainly NYC thing) were 3-4 years old and the guy who checked it out said, yup, they look about that, although he said the living room might be older. We asked the seller, he said he bought all three and showed us a receipt for two but said he couldn't find the third receipt for the living room one. At that point, we were suspicious, but it wasn't worth it - fighting, staring over, etc, not worth it - and just put a place holder in our minds that we might have to buy a new one soon.

The living room one ran for a month, stopped working and the repair cost would have been 50% of a new one, but we found out (when the unit was apart and they could find the serial number, etc.) that it was 13 years old. So, we bought a new one. Not fun, but we kinda knew it. In the end, the only real costs is I lost all respect for the seller. You might want to price out what a new A/C unit would cost you and then negotiate some percentage of that into a reduced price if possible. My last piece of unsolicited advice is to assume some amount of unexpected costs, check if your budget can afford it and, then, if so, move forward knowing that the money will eventually get spent. Good luck, the house is beautiful and I hope you get it.

Thanks, FF. :) Yeah, there's definitely going to be some negotiation going on with this. Thankfully, that's the only major issue we have to worry about - no need to buy new windows or anything on that scale, so that is a blessing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo