Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Drappa

One Too Many
Kate O Potato said:
Thank you very much! I used a Rowan 4-ply wool, I can't remember which one exactly, and my mum has thrown away the label. Probably the pure wool 4-ply or 4-ply soft.

I could probably do with knitting some shoulder pads, but here's my jumper as it is...

Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+11.44+%234.jpg

And the shoulder close-up:

Photo+on+2010-08-04+at+11.44+%232.jpg
Oooh, I love it! You are so talented! Maybe you could start making those and selling them on Ebay/Etsy ;)

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
Kate O Potato said:
Thank you very much! I used a Rowan 4-ply wool, I can't remember which one exactly, and my mum has thrown away the label. Probably the pure wool 4-ply or 4-ply soft.

Ah that’s grand….Thank you. Looks even better on btw!

Rowan wool you say? Eek- would have to save up for that and this is coming from a wool snob!

Tups x

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
It cost me about £30 for the wool for the jumper. If you check out the John Lewis sale, they always have Rowan wool. I bought 9 balls of merino DK and 3 balls of kidsilk haze for £30 in total during their sale last month. And you can always get wool cheaper online xx

BoPeep

Practically Family
Simply gorgeous Kate O Potato! I am in awe of folks who can do sweaters. I've done every imaginable "beginner" project, came as close as finishing a poncho, but never seem to get a sweater completed. Yours is beautiful!

D

Deleted member 12480

Drappa said:
Oooh, I love it! You are so talented! Maybe you could start making those and selling them on Ebay/Etsy ;)

YES PLEASE :D:D:D

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Ha! NOTHING on Earth or beyond could get me to knit something for someone else apart from myself and the BF- not worth the hassle! The amount if time it takes to make something means it would cost hundreds of £/$ in labour.

If you don't knit then you should learn - then you can do it yourself. :D

Smuterella

One Too Many
^ I so agree, it is just so time consuming. I hate knitting anything below a DK weight too, though I'm going to force myself to so I can tackle some 40s patterns. UGH.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Exactly, Smutterella. 4 ply is very, VERY time consuming and almost all the patterns I wish to make use 4 ply or thinner yarn, smaller needles, etc.

A friend made a very interesting point about knitting recently. It used to be cheaper to buy wool and knit a jumper than buy one. Now it is almost a form of conspicuous consumption - 'I have the money to buy expensive yarn and the luxury of time to knit it'!

How things change.

D

Deleted member 12480

but i suck at knitting - it would be so much easier to have Kate make me one...... ;)

No but really, i tried and failed at a scarf, i dropped stitches all over the places, mixed up the knit, purl, knit, purl pattern, the edges were all wonky, there were GIANT loose stitches and then tiny tight ones and it was only a scarf. I undid it all and wound it all back up neatly and hid it away so it would stop depressing me. Someone has to bestow their knowledge/magical powers on me.... please? xxxx

olive bleu

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
Hi ladies. I Was wondering if you could help me out.

brother8.jpg

brother3.jpg

I picked up this Brother knitting machine at the thrift store yesterday for next to nothing. The manager said it came from an estate of a seamstress, and looks like all the parts are there (sans the manual which I have some online leads on). Im curious about it as I have NEVER knitted before, and Ive skimmed blogs online but they offer reviews more so than tutorials.

Has anyone ever used one of these puppies? This one dates from around the early 70s, and accessories are apparently 'hard' to find. Pishaw I say!

Thanks,
LD
:)

I'd really love to hear how you make out with this.I've been thinking about buying one for about 3 years now, but I'm afraid it would just be another one of those things to end up in the back of my closet.i am an OK basic knitter, but I'm thinking a machine might be good to try some 'finer" knitting.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
deleteduser said:
but i suck at knitting - it would be so much easier to have Kate make me one...... ;)

No but really, i tried and failed at a scarf, i dropped stitches all over the places, mixed up the knit, purl, knit, purl pattern, the edges were all wonky, there were GIANT loose stitches and then tiny tight ones and it was only a scarf. I undid it all and wound it all back up neatly and hid it away so it would stop depressing me. Someone has to bestow their knowledge/magical powers on me.... please? xxxx

Like most things in life, you just have to practice! Keep trying, knit peggy squares out of any old yarn just to get a feel for it and different stitches. It does take time. At the end you can always stitch all those squares together to make a blanket!

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I too hate knitting for others (though I have knitted my dad a rather nice 40’s wind cheater) I think I dislike it mainly for having to give up the garment that you have taken great pride (sometime great pain!) and time in knitting- especially when they don’t really appreciate all the work that has gone into doing it in the first place.:(
Having said that I am in the middle of knitting the sleeves of a bed jacket for my lovely elderly neighbour who has had it on the go for a couple of years now. To be honest it was a welcome relief to be working with a DK yarn and larger needles- certainly makes a change!

unaspenser

New in Town
Miss Sis said:
Like most things in life, you just have to practice! Keep trying, knit peggy squares out of any old yarn just to get a feel for it and different stitches. It does take time. At the end you can always stitch all those squares together to make a blanket!

This is so true. I have heard it said that it takes about 10,000 hours of doing an activity to truly become a master at it. Most people I know haven't knitted (or done any one thing) that much, so don't beat yourself up! Building up muscle memory for the movements and familiarity with the feel of the thing takes time. Videos online really helped me learn, especially the site www.knittinghelp.com. There are also forums where you can get advice, like the groups on www.ravelry.com, or look for a local yarn shop that might have classes, or just someone who could informally sit down with you and give you a few pointers.

Drappa

One Too Many
Well, I wasn't suggesting that Kate (or anyone) just knits things for others, and I realise that it takes many hours and would be high value if sold. I just meant that it is a beautiful sweater and if she wanted I am sure people would be interested in buying them.
Personally, I hate knitting. I like sewing, quilting, and crocheting, but can't ever remember how to knit even though I "learned" how to a few times. I just find it so much duller than other crafts, but then we're all good at different things. I have made quilts for other people, some very time-consuming, and if I were to sell them don't expect to get the full value, as nobody could pay for the time put in, but I quilt because I love the process and find it relaxing. I give them away because I like to and because I can't keep too many around the house. :)

I do agree though that nowadays it is more expensive to sew or knit than to buy things in a shop. I can't believe the price of fabric and thread or yarn, so I think one has to really do it for the process, not just the end result.

Jasmine Jolene

One of the Regulars
i don't/can't knit, but since my boys were born my mum has picked up her needles again!
here is a Fair Isle jumper she knitted, it's the best pic i have but i will take more, esp as she knitted and greeny one as well (i have twins and love them looking similar!)
IMGP0803.JPG

edit: i don't think the pattern is especially vintage but she used the proper Fair Isle wool

Kate O Potato

A-List Customer
deleteduser said:

Yep ok! It may take me a while because of new job etc, but I'll definitely make one for you next! I'll send over some pictures and you can pick your favourite and a colour x

D

Deleted member 12480

ohh okay i just read your pm and felt very confused! Aargh, Kate, that is so lovelylylylylylyly kind of you, but as i hear how annoying it is to make things for others, i wouldn't want to put you through that just for me! :') i feel so honoured.

D

Deleted member 12480

ohh okay i just read your pm and felt very confused! Aargh, Kate, that is so lovelylylylylylyly kind of you, but as i hear how annoying it is to make things for others, i wouldn't want to put you through that just for me! :') i feel so honoured.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran