Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
This purse doesn't look like it would be that difficult to make. The nubby texture is probably some sort of cluster work, and the raised rib texture is achieved through a front or back post crochet stitch. Personally, I think the hardest part would be to find the specific type of thread they used in that color and size.

Oh, that is a nice handbag. Can I ask what that yarn is? It looks good enough to eat!

I use nylon cording so it is durable and can be wiped clean. Here is the interior. This was not in the pattern directions, I added it myself.
mildredbag6.jpg

Amie

One of the Regulars
This purse doesn't look like it would be that difficult to make. The nubby texture is probably some sort of cluster work, and the raised rib texture is achieved through a front or back post crochet stitch. Personally, I think the hardest part would be to find the specific type of thread they used in that color and size.

I know. It looks like a pretty easy and fun project. Only problem is I don't have the pattern.

BoPeep

Practically Family
That's really a great purse, CherryRed. I've heard of using nylon cord for projects but haven't tried it myself yet. Pretty smart idea though! All my crocheted cotton purses seem to get dirty so quick!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I posted this on my blog yesterday, so I thought I would share it here too.
A mid thirties quick knit.
GEDC2049.JPG

more pics found here oh and excuse the wonky collar!:p

Very nice! I don't think the collar looks wonky at all. If it bothers you, maybe blocking would help? (I don't know anything about knitting, but I've done it with success for crochet). I really don't think you need to touch it.

Since it is such a "quick" knit, would you like to make me one? :p:D I really like the color!

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I find it really interesting that the more you look, the more you see that the equivalent of double knit yarns were available in the 1930s and not everything was made in 3 or 4 ply.

I've *nearly* finished my latest project. Hopefully post a pic in the next few days.

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Fabulous bag Cherrylips, I've tried to crochet a few times but give up as being left handed seems to stop me, no such problem with knitting.
Miss Tuppence what a lovely colour wool you've chosen, great cardigan.

Just finished this little 1950's bolero, can't wait for the weather to get better so I can put on a summer dress.
bolero010.jpg

knittingpattern001.jpg

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Fabulous bag Cherrylips, I've tried to crochet a few times but give up as being left handed seems to stop me, no such problem with knitting.

Just finished this little 1950's bolero, can't wait for the weather to get better so I can put on a summer dress.
bolero010.jpg

knittingpattern001.jpg

That is just adorable and it looks splendid on you.

I Adore Film Noir

A-List Customer

bolero010.jpg

knittingpattern001.jpg

Very nice, it's pretty.

poggleberry

One of the Regulars
Thanks ladies for your kind words, I've now started knitting a black bolero and then I think I'll make a red one, one for all occasions, I'm hooked!

wahine

Practically Family
That bolero looks splendid, I guess I need one, too. First, I gotta improve my crocheting skills, though ;)

Just need to start: Yesterday, my grandma gave me her old crochet hooks. I was surprised how many she has, there are several of each size and some of them seem to be quite old.

There are a three that are so short that I can't imagine what they're supposed for, maybe a special technique (bottom of photo)? They sure can't be hold the regular way, at least not with regular size hands. Then there is one that doesn't seem to be for crocheting at all; it has no hook (very top of photo). My granny didn't remember what it's for; I will have to find out what these special models are/were meant for.

It was the celebration of the 93rd birthday of my grandma, and what she gave me is much more precious than the ole boring flowers I gave her. :eek:

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
I didn't know this thread existed!!! I will post in here and not in the "Show Us What You've Made" thread!

I posted on your blog Miss Tuppence but I have to say again this top is really, really gorgeous. What size needles were you using? I know you said it was crochet thread... so tiny!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
That bolero looks splendid, I guess I need one, too. First, I gotta improve my crocheting skills, though ;)

Just need to start: Yesterday, my grandma gave me her old crochet hooks. I was surprised how many she has, there are several of each size and some of them seem to be quite old.

There are a three that are so short that I can't imagine what they're supposed for, maybe a special technique (bottom of photo)? They sure can't be hold the regular way, at least not with regular size hands. Then there is one that doesn't seem to be for crocheting at all; it has no hook (very top of photo). My granny didn't remember what it's for; I will have to find out what these special models are/were meant for.

It was the celebration of the 93rd birthday of my grandma, and what she gave me is much more precious than the ole boring flowers I gave her. :eek:

I've been giving this some thought, and I came up with two possible uses for the non-hook. Might it be used for making some sort of evenly shaped loop in a pattern? Or for shaping when blocking a lace piece? Some of the smaller hooks can be very early hooks. Treasure them!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Miss tuppence, that's superb. You do look like something from 'Woman and Home'!

excellent work all, I only just learned to crochet and am trying to finish a beret, but having trouble decreasing the band, so I'm taking it to East Kirkby next weekend to try and get help from my crochet genius friend. I'm terrified she'll do what she did with my first granny square and unravel it whilst shaking her head and tutting 'where are your corners???'
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner