Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
That's what I love about crocheting, though. If it is wrong you can easily rip it out and redo it. I had trouble with learning to decrease the first couple of times I attempted it. Do you have good directions of how to do it? Perhaps I might be able to help....

Miss Tuppence

A-List Customer
I posted on your blog Miss Tuppence but I have to say again this top is really, really gorgeous. What size needles were you using? I know you said it was crochet thread... so tiny!

Thank you, I used size 20 crochet cotton and number 11 needles (3mm- is that an American 2?) so they were small but not that small- I have used 13's and 14's before and now they are tiny!!!:eeek:

Kitty Sheridan- ooo I love a good read of a Woman and Home, I do!:D
Tups x

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
In need of a bit of inspiration from you ladies. Recently my 95 year old Grannie moved into an adult group home. My mom and aunts have been going through her belongings and dividing them up amongst the grandkids. I received a box of yarn. Most of it is white. There are different weights and finishes to it. In total I would say there is about 8 skeins of white. There is also a full skein of bubble gum pink. I know that she's had this yarn for a very long time as the price tags on the yarn range from $.25-$.99 each. I want to make something for my sweet Lilypie to remember her GGMa. (She has seen her a handful of times, but won't actually know her, I'm afraid.) What would you make for her?

My initial reaction was to make an afghan, but Lilypie has a half dozen knit/crochet blankies already. Does she need one more?

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
Could you make a small afghan and then, when she gets older and doesn't need it anymore, turn it into a decorative pillow cover? She's so young still (guessing from your avatar pic), it's hard to come up with something she can carry with her through her life - it's a similar issue we're facing in trying to save some of my Nan's belongings for my 10 y.o. sister.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
What would you make for her? ...

My initial reaction was to make an afghan, but Lilypie has a half dozen knit/crochet blankies already. Does she need one more?

I personally wouldn't make an afghan, but make something that she could use as an adult. I don't know how fine any of the yarn is, but if it is on the fine side, perhaps a nice "file" bag/ purse or some other small dress bag? Something she could use as an adult for special occasions (if your daughter gets married she could use it at her wedding or wear it to others' weddings). The other idea is perhaps a shawl, out of the white or pink? No matter how big your daughter grows up to be, a shawl or a bag will always fit her, and these are small things that she can hold onto, no matter how many times she moves.

I know that some families do have blankies that they past down from generation to generation, but I'd go for something she could use for a long time. Since it seems like you have enough of the pink for a small project, perhaps you could make a small scarf out of the pink (she can wear this as a child and into adulthood if she likes) and then something to give to your daughter when she reaches a certain age or on a special occasion (such as the bag or shawl for her wedding day or 18th birthday or sweet sixteen or for a dance like the prom)?

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
From what I saw, for the white there is some regular (Super Saver) weight, some baby weight, and some that has a pearl strand through it. The pink is regular weight, but a full big skein of it.

I really like your ideas for things for her wedding day. I've already put away in her baby box a baby bonnet she was given before she was born that "converts" to being a handkerchief for her wedding day. In this box of Grannie's yarn there were also three handkerchiefs that my mom crocheted lace around and gave to Grannie. They were to be for me (as I use handkerchiefs), but I've decided to put them away for Lily. My mother-in-law made me a shawl for my wedding, and that is put away for Lily as well.

I've been working on a new scarf pattern (for myself - loving it!), so perhaps making one for her would be cool. She's a bit too young to wear one yet, though. Maybe in a few years.

Grannie made afghans for the high school graduation of all of her grandkids and great grandkids before her arthritis got too bad and she had to stop crocheting entirely. That's why I was pondering an afghan. My skill comes from Gran (who taught me), and it is her yarn. It would be the next best thing to having an afghan for Lily made by Gran.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Could you make a small afghan and then, when she gets older and doesn't need it anymore, turn it into a decorative pillow cover? She's so young still (guessing from your avatar pic), it's hard to come up with something she can carry with her through her life - it's a similar issue we're facing in trying to save some of my Nan's belongings for my 10 y.o. sister.

She's 15 months now. :)

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
That's how I found the pattern for my scarf. I couldn't resist it! Maybe getting out of the hats-and-scarves categories on there might be more inspirational.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Grannie made afghans for the high school graduation of all of her grandkids and great grandkids before her arthritis got too bad and she had to stop crocheting entirely. That's why I was pondering an afghan. My skill comes from Gran (who taught me), and it is her yarn. It would be the next best thing to having an afghan for Lily made by Gran.

I like the idea of the afghan then. Maybe with some of the yarn with a pearl strand in it you could make her something fancy for later life- for her wedding or some other special occasion- maybe the small purse or a garter? I wouldn't feel bad about having to buy some extra yarn to finish either of them, it would sort of unite the generations.

Also, I think it's a wonderful idea to have gifts for your daughter to open upon her graduation, etc. I really like the idea. When I was young, my grandmother bought me a series of birthday figurines, and I'd get one upon birth, one on each birthday, and the last one on my 16th birthday. My grandmother wrapped them all up (she bought them all at once) and then labeled them with the year they should be given out. When she died when I was 13, we found them in a box in her closet labeled for me. I think it was incredibly thoughtful of her, and for me (who was dealing with a lot of grief and fallout after my grandmother's death, most of it very very ugly) reminded me that she loved me in a very tangible way on each of my birthdays.

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
When I was young, my grandmother bought me a series of birthday figurines, and I'd get one upon birth, one on each birthday, and the last one on my 16th birthday.

OT - Sheeplady did you get the birthday angels from your gramma, too? I don't know if they are really angels; they're girls in big floofy dresses with the corresponding number of years next to them, and the girls grow as the numbers grow, but we always called them my birthday angels :) My Nan gave them to me every year too. I'm lucky she outlasted the end of the series for me (she just passed last fall, and I'm 30), but she never got to finish them with my sister. In a way, I wish she'd done what your grandmother did... I want my sis to have the whole set like I do, but I haven't the faintest idea where to find them. I can imagine it meant quite a lot to you to have those after her passing.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
OT - Sheeplady did you get the birthday angels from your gramma, too? I don't know if they are really angels; they're girls in big floofy dresses with the corresponding number of years next to them, and the girls grow as the numbers grow, but we always called them my birthday angels :) My Nan gave them to me every year too. I'm lucky she outlasted the end of the series for me (she just passed last fall, and I'm 30), but she never got to finish them with my sister. In a way, I wish she'd done what your grandmother did... I want my sis to have the whole set like I do, but I haven't the faintest idea where to find them. I can imagine it meant quite a lot to you to have those after her passing.

Yes- exactly! We're the same age, so I think we probably had the same figurines- mine were blonde. For me, they were very nice because they reassured me at a time when I really questioned my relationship with my extended family. I think my grandmother bought the whole set at the same time.

I'd ask into Hallmark- that sounds like a hallmark thingy, but they don't have anything on their website like that. I think my grandmother got them from a local store that had gifty-type things (gift shop?), but it is long gone. If not that, maybe look on the bottom of your sister's figurines to find a maker's mark and look on eBay for something similar?

Oh, I found this site. It at least tells you what to look for and a possible place to buy them, apparently they are called "growing up birthday girls": http://www.oldtowngifts.com/htmls_enesco/enesco_growing_up_birthday_girls_sitemap.htm

kymeratale

One of the Regulars
OT for crocheting, but related to the long term gift thing. I have my mom's silverware set that her beloved grandma starting giving to her piece by piece when she was a little girl. There would be a piece or two on birthdays and Christmases until she had the whole set.

Now back to knitting. :D

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I finally have something to share!!! This is my first vintage knit, from http://rarerborealis.com/wordpressblog/2010/05/21/free-pattern-friday-briar-rose/
5764957081_a3915d1397.jpg

SunGlo-00.jpg

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

LittleMissToniJo

One of the Regulars
OH MY GOODNESS!!! Kamikat I think that's the nicest one I have seen so far! (I have been following the knit-a-long but not participating!)

Also are those remix wedgies???

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, ladies! I'm still not quite sure about it. I feel like it draws attention to my bust.
Yes, those are Re-Mix wedges.
I believe the dogs were "helping" daddy pack the car for his trip. They don't like it when he goes away. Right now, they're hanging out by the door instead of their usual spot next to me.

cassylynn

One of the Regulars
My latest project.....

I popped in to share with you lovely ladies my latest project. It is for a dear family friend ~ one who I held as a little one & now she is waiting for the arrival of her little girl any day now......gosh I feel old.....

Here is her "Blessing Day" Bonnet & Booties

100_2992.jpg

100_2993.jpg

Here is her Baby Announcement Layette

100_3003.jpg

100_3005.jpg

The crochet pattern for the layette is from Family Circle Easy Crochet Spring/Summer 2007. The other was found on a blog.....

I was very pleased when they were finished :: I had never crocheted a dress before :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner