Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage knitting and crochet!

MissNathalieVintage

Practically Family
A really great way to learn or refesh your knitting skills is to check out some kids learn to knit books. They have super easy to follow step by step directions. Also there are DVDs available too. The best place to look for these books and DVDs is your local library.

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Another knit performed by mother, this dress was Christmas gift for me, after the catalog illustration included She did some beautiful knitting, and perfection was again within reach, but my bad choice of yarn for this pattern, together with details of style not particularly thought through, resulted in quite a few issues. More on my blog...
brick+and+bej+silk+cotton.jpg
DSC03001.JPG
DSC02999.JPG

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I can't make a comment on your blog, so I will say here that I think the raglan sleeve looks fine on you and I certainly wouldn't change it, as it would completely spoil the design. I do think extending the sleeves to the wrist will balance things out, but otherwise, I wouldn't change anything.

One thing I do when knitting a belt is do it single thickness, usually in a rib pattern and back with petersham ribbon, which is what many period patterns recommend and it does mean they hold their shape nicely.

It might just be a case of getting used to how it sits on you. We are often much more critical than others to ourselves!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Thank you all or your positive feedback!

Miss Sis, luckily the sleeve lengthening is one of the things that can be done at this stage, and it will be done. I am hesitant too about changing the colour in the top part of the sleeve, although on the other hand I think it would have the desired visual effect of broadening the shoulders, but it seems indeed that would be at the cost of the design.
Great advice about the belt construction, I will be sure to remember it, thank you!

crazydaisy

Practically Family
Only a couple of pages since I posted the 2 items of this trio back in November. I have now photographed the blouse and the skirt, the first having been inspired by this
stanga+plus+husta+silk+tweed+rust.jpg

DSC03315.JPG

time travel kiwi

New in Town
I wish I could crochet!most of the things I want to make don't come in a knitted version it seems.
I have done the 30s '3 hour jersey' and liked it so much in the experimental cheap acrylic that I am doing it again in some lovely emerald green merino mix I thrifted:)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Here is my first project from A Stitch in Time, Vol 2. It really grew, so while my gauge was right, I probably should have gone done a needle size. However, you can't find much fault in silk yarn. Because of the growing, I decided to omit the bow. It was a simple knit and I'll probably make another in a firmer yarn.
6926326471_5052c01147.jpg

6780204632_dcb9cef445.jpg

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
Here is my first project from A Stitch in Time, Vol 2. It really grew, so while my gauge was right, I probably should have gone done a needle size. However, you can't find much fault in silk yarn. Because of the growing, I decided to omit the bow. It was a simple knit and I'll probably make another in a firmer yarn.
6926326471_5052c01147.jpg

6780204632_dcb9cef445.jpg

Very nice! I must get my hands on a stitch in time.

BD I am going to be knitting up bed jacket 801 as soon as all my projects for other people are done. I do feel that I will be tempted to use as daytime wear though.

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Very nice! I must get my hands on a stitch in time.

BD I am going to be knitting up bed jacket 801 as soon as all my projects for other people are done. I do feel that I will be tempted to use as daytime wear though.

I cannot wait to see it Laurie! I haven't knit in ages....I really do have to get back into it. You could definitely wear that in the day time. I have a very similar one in a cream colour - I wear it all the time.

Kamikat, I love your tam!

X
BD

crazydaisy

Practically Family
crop.jpg
DSC03800.JPG
dcrop.jpg

Mother knitted this in pink and cream Shetland wool - I love the colours! - with a pretty good result I think. Waistband should have been a bit tighter, but even so I am rather pleased. I need to try and wear the collar the same way as in the pattern, to see how it looks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner