Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Folks, I did something very good or very bad.

The local antique/vintage/junk shop I love is sort of going out of business (I believe the owners are hoarders, their "shop" started in the house, then the garage/guest house then another location, and it's all *crammed*) I went looking for chairs to suit my new dining room table and ended up buying a LOT of vintage patterns.

This has a few awesome points, and a few drawbacks. I'm a capable sewing, but far from advanced, and a few of these are over my head. All of them are the hole-punch variety, and some are missing the instructions (CRY!) and one is missing a bunch of pieces (Double!Cry!)

In addition, almost all of them are too large for me. At least two of them are 40" busts, and for most things I'm tops at a 36". I'm having a bit of a crisis as to if I'm a good home for them.

A few were still in their mail order sleeves (this one even had a victory stamp on it!) like this one... but as wonderful as the packaging is, I don't know if I'll ever be able to piece it together without instructions.

IMG_0244.jpg

Awesome bits - I shorty-slip with the receipt still inside (purchased on 3/21/1935 so it says), and a G. Fox (local Hartford designer and clothing shop) Butternick pattern.

So, any tips for assembling no-info pieces or have I bitten off more than I can chew? Is this as ill-conceived as it feels at the moment? Does anyone want me to go back and get a few more of these larger-sized patterns so you all can get at them?

Also:
IMG_0246.jpg

The Cotton catalogue for Summer of '51.

I got them all $3.50 each, so, I think it was a deal, I just don't know what to do next!

Gracie Lee

A-List Customer
$3.50 is a fantastic price! I'd be interested in helping you relieve the shop owners of any more patterns. I typically buy 38" and 40" patterns, and I prefer 30s and early 40s, and I'd be happy to reimburse you or cost, shipping, and a finder's fee. Let me know!

ColeV48

Familiar Face
SugarKitten said:
Also:
IMG_0246.jpg

The Cotton catalogue for Summer of '51.

Those are adorable! Oh boy, maybe it's back to Hancock's for more fabric (arming myself with ideas is a bad thing).

Marla

A-List Customer
SayCici said:
Has it been mentioned before where you all buy your plastic sleeves to store patterns in?

I bought a large package at Michaels. Just check any art/hobby store!

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Ziplocks are a great idea, but how do you file them, for lack of a better word? I've been using the page protectors and a huge three ring binder, but the tops are of course open....

I'll go back to the shop after my vacation this week (they're only open the ends of the week) and see how many larger sized things I can find. Hopefully I'll manage a few in my own as well this time!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
SayCici said:
Has it been mentioned before where you all buy your plastic sleeves to store patterns in?

I generally use the archival plastic protector sheets for comic books, but for my repro patterns I buy larger zip log baggies- big enough to hold 8.5x11 printouts. Plus to those, like Kamikat says, is that you can keep your buttons, fabric swatches, etc together with the pattern- but for original vintage ones that are more fragile I just keep them seperate. You can buy both type on Ebay, which is where I buy mine in bulk- then it's cheaper. Or you can head to your local comic book store and see if they have them. I also use the comic book archival boxes to store my patterns- there's really long narrow ones that they sell. Vanessa (who rarely posts here anymore) got me hooked on those for archiving and storing.

SheBear74

Practically Family
Wow that bottom pattern is adorable!!! I found this site, I think from a link on this site. lol Maybe it will help? You might keep in mind that over time you may be able to figure out how to sew those patterns with out the instructions. Just in case there are some that you really love, and don't want to give up just yet ;)

http://sensibility.com/tips/how-to-resize-a-pattern/

SugarKitten

One of the Regulars
Thanks SheBear, I do resize (or in my imprecise fashion - fudge) sizing pretty often, but I'm actually a 32 bust, so a little up isn't huge, but that far... scary.

The bottom pic was actually a Cotton catalogue from South Carolina Mills (Spartanburg SC - so the label says) The dresses were 6$ or so apiece. If anyone cares, I can take pics (no scanner) but there are only ten or so pages in color.

These were the finds in my size... I think I'm probably being greedy wanting more.

IMG_0249.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0250.jpg

and the one I started on already, because I don't know what patience is...
IMG_0247.jpg

Does anyone know the brand by the packaging? It has no name on it.

SheBear74

Practically Family
I "fudge" as well lol. I wish I had seen that link 2 days ago when I tried to go from a 20 to a 14. I "fudged" from the arms down just fine but the shoulders where way to big lol. Oh well I figure it was good practice.

Lillie Librarie

New in Town
Found this at an antique store in Austin, looks to be early 50s. I plan on making the pattern with a gray linen and black belt in the short sleeves version. Will be my first attempt at using a vintage pattern.

Forum

zendy

A-List Customer
SugarKitten said:
and the one I started on already, because I don't know what patience is...
IMG_0247.jpg

Does anyone know the brand by the packaging? It has no name on it.
Could be an Anne Adams, their packaging changed numerous times throughout the years.

Lindabelle

One of the Regulars
advancepatternprettypartydress2.jpg

I got this pattern so I could make this for a wedding I'm going to in November. Figure that gives me enought time to make it! lol.

NicoleAnn

Familiar Face
Hi ladies, I'm new to the lounge
and I'd like to show you a pattern I found at goodwill which I got for 50 cents
I'm very beginner at sewing so there's NO way I'm going to start this anytime soon.
Its a 1957 Snow Suit, and I remember someone mentioning snow suits on here, I cant believe i found this in my size :)

14tr9g7.jpg

crwritt

One Too Many
NicoleAnn said:
Hi ladies, I'm new to the lounge
and I'd like to show you a pattern I found at goodwill which I got for 50 cents
I'm very beginner at sewing so there's NO way I'm going to start this anytime soon.
Its a 1957 Snow Suit, and I remember someone mentioning snow suits on here, I cant believe i found this in my size :)

14tr9g7.jpg

This looks like fun! Be sure and make a trial muslin of the hood before you cut your fabric. Any Vogue hat or hood patterns I have tried are sized for a tiny headed person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy