Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
It was a bargain and I couldn't resist the bow pockets. She looks very nonchalant smoking her cigarette!
bowdresspattern.jpg

She has a very similar look to your avatar (minus the cigarette).

wahine

Practically Family
What a find!

The other night, I was sitting on the sofa with my aunt, talking about clothing, sewing, vintage patterns aso. I told her enthusiastically about my 1956 Golden Rule pattern book, how much I love it, and how hard it is to get these books at a reasonable price.

For those who don't know the Lutterloh Golden Rule: it's a German pattern book that came up in the 30s with about 300 different patterns that can be made up to your own individual size with a special easy technique. The books were sold in other countries, too. Every few years there was a new book, and in between, they published supplements.

When I told my aunt about this, she said "Oh, I have one like that, too!" and she took a wonderful, early 40s edition out of her shelf, together with 5 supplements from 1941-42! I kinda freaked out and kept looking at the book for the rest of the evening. It has so many wonderful day and evening dresses, skirts, trousers, blouses, collars, bathrobes, nightgowns, aprons, and much more. She lent it to me and now it's here in my hands, calling me to try out my first 40s pattern. Yay! :eek:

If only I had the time... But I will, one day (hopefully, soon).

Here they are: In the top left the 1940 (?) edition, below the '41 & '42 supplements.
Top middle - the 1956 edition plus one '57 supplement in the right.

Here are just a few of the wonderful 1940 models (the patterns are all in the back of the book):

HepKitty

One Too Many
wahine: I so want!!! If you know of any for sale could you please let me know? That is if you're not interested first of course lol

wahine

Practically Family
Thanks all! I hoped you would be happy for me (my auntie couldn't really understand why I was so happy about it).

@HepKitty: Sure, but there really not so easy to get unless money is no issue for you. Often, they go up to about 100 Euro (about 140$) if they come with the special measure that you need. Without the measure, you might be lucky to get one for maybe 40 Euro plus shipping, but that needs patience. I could make a copy of the measure for you easily. Right now, there is a 1941 edition in ebay Germany for 65 Euro, with copied measure (article No. 200520763509) and one of around 1950 for 50 Euro, seemingly without measure (art.no.270656866155 or look for "Lutterloh"- if you need any help with translations of the descriptions, just ask)
But until then - if there is a certain pattern you are interested in, I could make scans for you and mail them. ;)

wahine

Practically Family
Just found another one on ebay (art.no. 270656360170, comes with measure). It says "from around 1920" which is not true, of course - It's the same edition I have, around 1940. The auction ends in 22 hours and is currently at 25,50 Euro.

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
wahine- I have the 1941 edotion but it's not nearly as nice as your aunt's. Mine is missing about half the pattern cards but I got a great deal. I haven't made anything yet.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Wahine, that's so wonderful! Congrats! Even cooler that it's from family :)
I bought scans on cd of a few years (I think late 30s? Don't remember) on ebay a loooong time ago. I never did get around to figuring them out. Look really neat, though!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot