Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

ricki

Familiar Face
I also bought another vintage pants pattern:

2f_1.jpg

ricki

Familiar Face
RetroModelSari said:
ricki, your patterns are damn cute!!!
Thanks! I bought a few more in the past couple of weeks that hopefully I can scan and post. I keep trying to tell myself I'm not going to buy anything else until I make some of these patterns I already have, but I can't stop myself.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I know this thread is kind of old, but I just wanted to update. I just placed an order with them today and already I have confirmation the pattern has shipped, and along with that she sent me reviews of the pattern, answered my question, and gave some additional advice. Their customer service is OUTSTANDING. I'll let you know how I like the pattern after I've made it up. Has anyone else used their patterns?

Elaina

One Too Many
If you're an ASG member they'll also give you a discount, as well as any problems you have they'll personally answer and help make the garment to perfection.

I had the pleasure of meeting these ladies, and while some of the stuff isn't to my taste, you can't ask for anything better from them. JoAnn from Laughing Moon Mercantile is who I base all my experiences with concerning other pattern makers, and Decades of Style are right up there with JoAnn. (I'll shamelessly plug JoAnn too ;) )

DoS has a lot on the horizon. I made a winter jacket from the bridge pattern, and I didn't need any help with it, I made one from a vintage years ago, and I received an email asking if I made it. I also purchased another pattern and they recalled it due to oversight in the instructions and replaced it for free.

Top notch company. I haven't had problems with the patterns.

Elaina

BonnieJean

Practically Family
I really liked the Decades of Style evening gown pattern I got this summer. It was my first one with this company and I thought it was pretty easy to follow. I just wish they had a bigger selection of patterns, but I'm sure in time they'll be adding more. (I got a lot of compliments on my dress too! Even a few from the men in our group.)

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
*bump*

Ok, for the first time I started using a Vintage Vogue pattern today. Here's a tip, which actually comes in handy when using all modern and vintage patterns.

THEY RUN BIG. Yup, big. The ease on the one I was using was 3.5" all around- which makes the fit significantly off for vintage wear. I suggest for a vintage fit in a dress that you have at least 1" of ease in the bust, fitted at the waist, and up to 2" in the hips for sitting and standing and whatnot- because it does you no good to make a dress to perfection then not be able to move in it. Here's what I did and you can do it for others if you're going to be making it from someone else:

Take 5 essential measurements:

Bust
Waist
Hips
Front waist (length from center front neck to the natural waistline (the smallest part of the waist). IF you need help with this, tie a piece of string around your waist and measure from the center of the bottom of your neck where that little "v" is to the string.
Back waist- from center back neck to the waist.

Write these all down and keep them handy. When you go to buy a pattern buy it in the size that matches the three essential measurements.

When you get the pattern open it all up and grab a ruler and a calculator or a scrap of paper.

Measure across the bust of the dress taking into account any design , darts, or cutting, and the seam allowance (I believe it is 5/8" on these patterns) If there are multiple pieces and the dress has a lining, it will most likely be the most basic shape of the garment so measure across that instead of the design pieces.

Measure across bust, skipping over darts. Subtract 5/8" for seam allowance if it's on the fold. if it has a center seam subtract another 5/8".

Multiply x2. Write this number down.

Do the same with the back piece.

Add front measurement to back measurement and this is the finished garment bust measure.

Do the same for the waist (don't forget to skip over any darts and pleating) and the skirt. If the skirt has multiple pieces add the top measure of each piece then subtract 5/8" for each seam.

You should have your measurements now of the finished garment. If this is too big you know to cut a smaller size. If it's too small you know to go up a size. Do the same measureing for the other sizes to make sure you're not making it too big or too small. Use the one that matches your biggest measurement the best PLUS ease you desire.

Take your center front and center back measure and measure from the pattern from the top to the waistline of the pattern (this should be marked and if it's not it's the smallest width across the waist when you skip over the darts). Add or take away what you need to to match your measurements. There should be a part of the pattern marked *shorten or lengthen here*. That's where you do it. I take an invisible ruler, draw a line the width I need to take it in, then fold and pin mine. If you need to add, draw a line with an invisible ruler on a scrap piece of paper the width you need, slash your pattern on the line, and insert the scrap underneath, taping the pattern to the added inches.

I did this with the vintage Vogue and found them at least 1 size bigger. You may want to do it yourself. It will cut your fitting time in half, guaranteed, if you do it correctly :)

CA Rosie

New in Town
V2609

My mom and I made this dress for one of my ballroom dresses. If we were to make it again, I would make the drape in the front abit fuller. The knot in the back barely ties with the amount thats on the pattern. We also raised the skirt upto the thighs So that I could move.

Ccc

New in Town
Vintage Patterns

I've found some vintage patterns in a local shop, but they seemed a bit pricey for something noticeably used.

Can anyone tell me what you have spent on vintage patterns, and the condition they were in?

Also, what is the most you have seen a vintage pattern cost, even on ebay?

Thanks for the info!

Elaina

One Too Many
I'm the queen of cheap and the ones I have from ebay I spent $15 on for 18 of them, for about half being women's modern size 8-12, a man's pattern, an apron pattern and the rest children's clothes. 12 were totally complete, 6 were at least one view complete.

I don't purchase them for more then $2-3 a piece. I do have a friend that buys them and pays, frequently, $12 and up, with her average ranging about $20. $5 is considered a good buy (but too pricey for me). The most I've seen one pattern go for was $525 at an auction for a 1930's wedding dress. Ebay I believe the most I've seen has been $125, I've ran across sites that have them $100+, but mostly from the 20's.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I find the cost depends on the pattern, is it a good design, a larger size etc.

I've seen a Schiaparelli pattern go for about $175, and any cute Vogue pattern can easily go for $75. Mostly they are a lot less than that though.

Most of my patterns I've paid about $10-20 for and I buy them in my (huge by golden era standards) size.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Usually I don't want to spend more than about £3-£5 ($6-$10), the most I have paid was £25.00 on a coat pattern that I really wanted but that was a one off and I wouldn't do it regularly.
I suppose you have to consider why you buy patterns, if you buy them to use them then obviously they will devalue if you bought them uncut. Also there are lots of great reproduction patterns about now that you can use and abuse with no twinge of conscience.
I've always enjoyed buying patterns that are inexpensive and fun that you don't need to fret about, but then if something absoloutely wonderful turned up I may be persuaded.
I try not to collect things for the sake of it, I always think eg: "am I really going to use this?" or "is it really worth the $100.00 that the those two Ebay nutters have hiked the price up to?"
That's just me though......

Vanessa

One Too Many
I think it depends on how much you want that particular pattern. You know, the one you keep losing to someone else on ebay - or the mystical 'perfect outfit.' Nevermind the 'yahoo's on ebay who bid up every single pattern, no matter how commonplace. I think the most I've ever paid was $50 for one pattern. But it had been sniped from me before online - so it was sweet, sweet victory to finally purchase it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I buy patterns to make clothes with, not for the art of collecting. Most patterns for collecting will be in shops that will cater to that. Your run of the mill vintage shop will just up mark patterns all for the vintage nostalgia.

Id say anywhere between $5-$15 is my target price. Considering most modern fairly nice patterns are from $15-35, $15 for a 50s coat pattern is a bargain.

LD

Snookie

Practically Family
I don't mind a pattern that's been used, since I plan to use mine, but the price should decrease dramatically if there's any pieces missing (be sure to ask the seller!), if the envelope is in terrible condition, or if the instructions/pieces are so old and brittle it's nearly impossible to use.

Another thing that drives the price up: a hollywood actress on the front, which will make it a piece of hollywood, not just vintage sewing.

All that said, if you want to sew, regular (non-spectacular) vintage patterns aren't that much more than a new pattern. (if you're buying on Ebay, check the shipping. Some sellers try to make extra with high shipping.)

For regular patterns, my upper limits are $10 for a 1940's(incl.tax/shipping), $15 for 1930's.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Sewing, Vintage Patterns Making a Comeback

Sewing is on the rise, says today's Wall Street Journal (link requires subscription; see page D1 of the paper).

The article credits "Project Runway," interest in vintage clothing and demand for personalization amidst all our electronic gadgets.

Also, it says that McCall has re-issued over 30 patterns from the 30s, 40s and 50s under Vogue. Among them:

PJ-AI920_pjSEWI_20061031215220.gif

GOK

One Too Many
That's excellent news! However, I do have a bugbear about Vintage Vogue - the instructions. I accept that with modern patterns, the instructions are likely to have errors (and that the patterns often have to be re-cut!) but you'd think that with vintage reproductions, they'd be more precise. Perhaps they are re-written for today's often time-poor modern woman?

Lucky for me, I rarely need to use the instructions but I've had friends show me something and ask why they can't make head nor tail of it. It's a shame because if this is a person's first dressmaking experience, the chances are, they'd be put off trying again.

OTOH, that might mean that the patterns get sold off cheaply in sales! lol

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I don't sew, but it seems to me they'd have to make a few adjustments (such as supplying instructions for neophytes). Probably, those patterns are designed with smaller, girdle- or corset-wearing women in mind. Today's ladies are shaped differently; perhaps McCall has added some instructions for adjusting the patterns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy