Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I've been tempted to buy the 40's evening gown and jacket. Has anyone picked that one up? Its really hard for me to tell from that bitty little picture what it looks like.

Honey Doll

Rosie

One Too Many
I am so loving this:

t1541_x.jpg

and there was a 7 piece wardrobe that I came across last night that I can't seem to find now. :(

Rosie

One Too Many
Honey Doll said:
I've been tempted to buy the 40's evening gown and jacket. Has anyone picked that one up? Its really hard for me to tell from that bitty little picture what it looks like.

Honey Doll

If you click on the picture of the outfit, it will enlarge.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Rosie said:
I am so loving this:

t1541_x.jpg

and there was a 7 piece wardrobe that I came across last night that I can't seem to find now. :(

I have the 7 piece! Well more accurately the Pattern Cabal has them....

They might have not had more copies and taken it down due to that...since I do not think its a huge multi-employee operation or anything.

decodoll

Practically Family
I have a number of VPLL patterns in my stash, but I think I've only made up one:

f3680.jpg

I was in a terrible rush when I made it and so kinda fudged a few things, but it came out ok. The yardage listed on the envelope, however, was incorrect, and I didn't end up having enough fabric to do the ruffles and had to piece the skirt.

Snookie

Practically Family
I just received my first pattern from them. I bought the 1929 Fishtail Evening Dress (currently the #1 bestseller). I cut out my mock-up fabric last night (I'm making the dress for a class project so I'm deadline oriented). There are some very helpful notes added to the pattern that I'm sure the original didn't have.

popup_image.php

Great customer service -- I was having issues with the shopping cart on the website and then the US Postal Service held onto my pattern too long, and Janyce, the librarian, was REALLY helpful and nice, and even offered to send me another pattern if the first was officially lost in the mail.

Shipping seemed expensive - mine was almost $5.

Is anyone a subscribing member, or do we all just purchase?

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
decodoll said:
I have a number of VPLL patterns in my stash, but I think I've only made up one:

f3680.jpg

I was in a terrible rush when I made it and so kinda fudged a few things, but it came out ok. The yardage listed on the envelope, however, was incorrect, and I didn't end up having enough fabric to do the ruffles and had to piece the skirt.

Oh! I have that one in a vintage pattern. I love the little jacket! Did you make that up, too?

Ok, Snookie! I feel like such a dork. I've seen you around a bunch but until you posted that pic I had no idea that was you at the dance :eek:

decodoll

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Oh! I have that one in a vintage pattern. I love the little jacket! Did you make that up, too?

Yes, I made the jacket in gold lame, and the dress in white dupioni silk with gold rick rack trim.

Snookie

Practically Family
Lauren Henline said:
Ok, Snookie! I feel like such a dork. I've seen you around a bunch but until you posted that pic I had no idea that was you at the dance :eek:

That's ok! I felt stupid afterward for not introducing myself to more people, but I got shy I guess. Next time.

DecoDoll--That's the dress I *wish* I were making! I'm doing mine for an art history class project, and I thought an Art Deco dress would be better than a 1940's dress. You said you didn't make the ruffles? Too bad -- I've always wondered how ruffles like that would hold up under a jacket. I'll have to be my own guinea pig, I guess.

Snookie

Practically Family
Tourbillion said:
Why do you think the girl in the red trousers has her hands behind her back. Probably holding the trousers up until she can get to the bathroom and fix them!
lol

Haha! Love it! There's the bathroom in the image behind her!

I actually do like these a lot, I really love lounging pyjamas, I just thought that buckle feature was odd. Better if it were in the front or something.

decodoll

Practically Family
I really liked the ruffles too, and was planning on making it with them until I realized I didn't have enough fabric. However, I think that probably turned out to be a good thing. I have a feeling the ruffles would have looked bulky under the jacket.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The other day I was looking through Walmarts fabrics and patterns and saw some really cute patterns for wide-legged pants. I'm pretty sure the pattern was from McCall's.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Hi! I haven't posted in a long time, but just had to comment on the new Simplicity pattern. This looks like a great pattern for bigger gals, since most of the vintage ones I've found are quite small. My local chain fabric store will be running Simplicity at $1.99 next weekend, so I plan to pick this one up. They also have another new vintage pattern out, a 50's style swing jacket suit that looks really cute.

kamikat

Barbara

One of the Regulars
Looking for a vintage child's pattern replacement

I am looking for Advance 2502 pattern, I think it's 40s, sunsuit, bonnet type dress for a girl. I really need the envelope, which I am missing...I'd even buy a new one if I could find it.

Anyone?

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Anyone remembers that I posted in the "Show us your purchases" thread that I bid on 10 patterns that looked old but didn´t show WHAT to make of them? I got them and I had guessed right: They don´t just look vintage. They ARE. Those are definately 40s patterns (and 2 from the 60s mixed in). 3 of them have pictures of the finished outfit (I still try to do research on the other patterns) and have my vintage size. Ok, I´ll have to add about 2 inches in the waist, but besides that they should fit. The rest of them are blouses that I might try to figure out when I have more sewing experience.

Long talking.... Here are the ones from the 40s! Aren´t they georgous?

Elaina

One Too Many
I don't have that many patterns that are truly vinatge anymore (only about 18 all total, due to a fire that got all of them, plus a few machines and all my fabric, and I'm STILL rebuilding), most of mine are either copies modernly, or self designed patterns, but I'd be happy to copy them off for anyone.

I usually go the cheap route with my patterns. I copy them onto the local paper and transfer all the markings over, then take the instruction sheet to a copy shop and have them reproduce both sides.

I get a pattern I can recopy, destry by resizing, or use for a garment as is. I have a couple 1940's patterns that are now falling apart at the fold line.s

Elaina

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Decodoll, I don't know how in the world I missed it, but your patterns pages are fabulous! Makes me think I should get busy and do it too :D

RetroModelSari, those are cute! I've never seen patterns like that before!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Elaina: I´m so sorry to hear about the fire and your loss of your patterns and fabrics! What a shame to lose your collection!

Laura: I guess it´s cause those are German patterns. The funny thing about them is that all the pieces are cut out already and they probably where sold this way! I wouldn´t have had the heart to cut a vintage pattern so them beeing "ready to use" saves me loads of time. I guess I´ll start a collection of those :)

Nashoba

One Too Many
Most of my patterns are repro copies of old patterns. Most of the major pattern companies have been nice enough to dig into their archives lately and reprint some of their vintage stuff. Alot of my patterns are those, including the dress that I'll be making for the Marine Corps Ball this year. I've found a lot of vintage patterns in the thrift stores and antique stores but a lot of them at this point are from the 80's and I try not to remember the fashions from the 80's it just makes me want to throw up. I have bad memories of poofy sleeves layered skirts and four pairs of scrunchie socks.
I've seen some great ones on Ebay, but I keep losing auctions :( . I let a really great evening gown pattern get away a couple of years ago and I still havn't forgiven myself :).
Nashoba

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy