Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

jugband1

New in Town
slightly :eek:fftopic:

I am starting a sewing class and have been told to pick a pattern to learn with-- so of course it has to be vintage-- but can any of you seamstresses recommend a few that might be easier to cut my teeth on? I don;t want to get in over my head with something really complex and get discouraged :rolleyes: I figure you with all the patterns would be the ones in the know.

any help/advice appreciated.

kate

GOK

One Too Many
I'd go for a basic day dress such as any of the top ones in this image (particularly the top right):

DSC00043.jpg

Good luck! :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
This is gonna sound grouchy...but bear with me.

The teacher in the class may very well not know how to work with vintage patterns. If its a beginning class, you are possibly better off learning to read the same type of pattern that the rest of the class is, so that you can learn the sewing. If the teacher does not know how to help with the pattern, they might leave you more to your own devices in that area and continue on with teaching the other parts...

I would say, go find a modern but classic lined pattern, like a a-line skirt as a first pattern. It can -be- vintage....and you are guaranteed to learn what the class has to teach, instead of spending more time figuring out how your pattern is different then what the teacher is talkng about.

jugband1

New in Town
not grouchy at all-- exactly the kind of advice I need! I will try to find something modern with a vintage twist...I suppose I didn't realize that there was a large difference in the patterns of yesterday and today....sigh....

I will just keep ogling the ones on ebay for now;)

thanks--if anyone knows of such a modern pattern that looks vintage-y -- feel free to toss it out there. I have a month to pick something out.

thanks-- kate

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
A good starter is Butterick 4790

B4790.jpg

I have made only other piece in a sewing-class and now I try that one all by myself and get along quiet fine with it since it has no really difficult parts (I just used a silk-fabric that makes coming by hard since it is so slippy.... idiotic me!) It is just 4 pieces and looks more complicated in the pattern-pic than it is in real life. You also don´t need to make button holes.

Don´t do the same mistake as me and start with a blouse... That´s the other piece I did in my class and I spended all the lessons there trying to make it and it still isn´t complete and I´m to scared to finish it alone so I wait for the next class to go on with it.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Lady: I´m still in the progress to do the lining, but I hope I can post some nice pictures in the "Show us what you made"-thread soon. I couldn´t find tape in the very colours or dress so I have to make those myself which is sort of time-comsuming

jugband1

New in Town
very nice pattern! 4 pieces sounds manageable to me :) I am a bit nervous to try it because I have only ever sewed on buttons and hems...never made anything from scratch! you girls are so talented with it! that's why I am trying to start slow....

kate

Nightshade

New in Town
imoldfashioned said:
A cloudy cold day here in Beantown (and finally some snow!)--a perfect day to look through one's patterns. Here are some of mine--I know I have more that will turn up as I keep organizing.

If anyone wants copies just let me know, I'm happy to share.

OMG Really? I would love any 1930's or 40's. Give as many copies as you like. You are great :) .

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Vest pattern trade anyone?

Hello Ladies,

Im preparing for the Spring and in the mood for vests. Would anyone like to trade patterns, mainly vests for me, and I can offer what ever I have that you may like.

Thanks,
LD

Folly

One of the Regulars
I really don't have many at all and all of mine are reproductions. They're also all 1950's ones.
I also can't find two of them [huh] they must be hidden amongst all the fabric shop bags and bits of fabric in the depths of the spare room which is in a state of turmoil at present. One is an Edwardian skirt pattern (I'm making that now) and the other is my only forties one, and misplacing that is a pain as I have the fabric all cut out ready for the next dress :rolleyes:

DSCF4280Small.jpg

Folly

One of the Regulars
Isn't it lovely! I want to make that this year for the summer. It's meant to be easy, so I really hope it is, as I'm not very experienced.
The reason most of my patterns are fifties ones is because I have hips two sizes larger than my waist and finding clothes to fit is a pain and as I'm not very experienced, a full skirt seems the better option than trying to tailor something to fit around these hips of mine lol

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
I am not experienced at all. But I am about to take sewing lessons. The first thing I made was a skirt and it was not really easy. So I think a dress is more diffucult. But I have so many vintage patterns and I want to use them and make some nice dresses for summer. My patterns are more 30s and 40s.:)

Folly

One of the Regulars
You have some lovely patterns - I can imagine how much you want to make them!

I got all of my patterns before the forties bug really hit me, hence why they're all fifties for the most part. I really wish I had some other forties ones as I keep wearing the same dress to all of the events, just in different fabrics lol and besides, the pattern I have, I find so hard to make.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic