Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

LadyDeWinter

A-List Customer
Vest/Waistcoat

Lady Day,

Do you mean something like this?

315465.jpg

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Just so you know, no live auctions are allowed for posting, just completed ones or buy it now postings.

*but yes that is a cute vest*

LD

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Pencil skirt sewing pattern suggestion

I secretly plan on making a pencil skirt for my friend who has the most gorgeous full vintage figure (large waist-hip ratio) but isn't aware of it ...yet!

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good pattern that isn't too fussy (vintage or modern) ... obviously it's got to have a waistband at the natural waistline, and I also want it to have a slit or kick pleat at the centre back.
The best one I've been able to find is this one

But it just doesn't look quite curvy enough around the hips, and finding a vintage pattern with a 31" waist is difficult ...
thanks in advance! :)

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I have a 32 inch waist and I just did the skirt of Simplicity 4047

s4047.jpg

It was easy to do (and I NEVER made a skirt before) and it looks good. What you can´t see is that it has a really cute pleat in the back.

P.s.: The blouse is a real pain to do though ;-)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Pencil skirts/ tube skirts dont look too curvy unless you are in them. You could trace a skirt you already have and use that, taking it in where needed. I did that with a black number I have.

Good luck,

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
I'll echo RMS, the skirt is pretty easy and looks nice. The pants have a crotch problem, I posted about that on another place here tho.

Usually what I do is take my good old, out of print, straight skirt and gradually fit it better then the pattern is, so the waist fits and the hips are tighter. No pleat, kick or slit in back, however, but it fits like a dream.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
RetroModelSari said:

:eek:fftopic:
I just think how in the drawing, the skirt is below the knee, true of the time, but in the pic with the woman, they hiked it up above the knee. [huh]

Okay, Im back now.

LD

Elaina

One Too Many
You're not alone LD. I DID lengthen mine, but I don't like my knees showing. I was a klutzy tomboy and they show it. I don't think about things like that, because while I'm not tall, I have a long inseam and so I lengthen everything that goes on my lower portion of the body.

P

Paul

I tend to think that a pencil skirt looks best in a patterned fabric and a sort slit up the side but that might not be so much a vintage style.
I might be totally wrong but it sounded as if your friend has not worn a pencil skirt or are you thinking about easing her into vintage gently. Whatever it’s a nice thing to do for some one oh yes the right shoes make all the difference.

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Paul said:
I might be totally wrong but it sounded as if your friend has not worn a pencil skirt or are you thinking about easing her into vintage gently. Whatever it’s a nice thing to do for some one oh yes the right shoes make all the difference.

Hi Paul, well yes that was sort the idea. I do feel a bit ambivalent about secret campaigns like that, because I won't put pressure on anyone and people can wear whatever they want, but on the other hand I just think it's sad to see a girl with a lovely figure not appreciating her curves because she thinks she has to fit into a pair of low-waisted jeans.

And thanks a lot for the great suggestions everybody :)
The skirt pattern generator thing looks really cool.

P

Paul

I can understand your reluctance to put a lot of pressure on some one to change how they dress because in the long run it will not work, I think that there could be something that you do not know about, like your friend might have had a remark made to her once when she wore a skirt for example about her legs, and deep down we are all sensitive about our appearance and looks others can be so cruel sometimes.
Or it could be as simple that every one else in her circle of friend wears jeans and she does not want to be the odd one out. How knows!
I do think its worth trying, if possible it might be worth taking her somewhere first where a skirt is more common been worn then jeans and have a good night out without making too much about fashion.
It good you’re taking the time and trouble especially when the outcome is not certain.
Please do keep us informed as the outcome even if it is has not gone the way you intend it will be great to see the skirt you made anyhow.

Rabidgirl

New in Town
Vintage Vogue has a nice pattern thats a slightly flaired skirt that still looks like a pencil skirt i think. it's pattern # 2885vog there is also a great looking jacket with the skirt pattern.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
2 of my latest.

My girlfriend gave these to me for my birthday! The sizes are too big, so I will have to learn how to alter, but I think she is a doll for getting them for me. :) I am assuming these are from the early to mid 50's.

mp0001.jpg
mp0002.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I bought a couple of patterns at JoAnn's today. (Psst, they're having a sale for President's Day.... cheap patterns!)

The first I bought is:

B4790.jpg

I bought a teal/cream/gold fabric with a Hawaiian feel to it for the dress with teal piping and buttons that look like carved bone.

The other I bought is this:

4282.jpg

I'm contemplating making apron-and-potholder sets for my girlfriends for Christmas. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80