Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

anabolina

A-List Customer
deadpandiva said:
DSCN4814.jpg

This pattern is missing the sleeve stiffining. I don't know if that matters though.
19e4_1.JPG

I think this is mine. I am not sure yet.[huh]
101131a.jpg

Wow, I love that first one. I haven't seen any other patterns that are really the same.

You all are so bad for my pocketbook. I haven't bought any vintage patterns for 6 months and bought 4 this past weekend. lol.

miss_elise said:
i really like the first dress...which hat are you going to make?

I think I will be making the first one. I prefer the longer sleeve length for a night out (I know it sounds crazy, especially as the place we're going to looks pretty sweaty!!). I like the veiling on the first hat (big picture) but prefer the purple flowers on the other one. SO I think I may make a mix up of those two lol Adventurous me!!

Deadpandiva; The first pattern there looks a lot like one I have;

dresspatt3.jpg

If this is the one you have I'll gladly scan any missing bits you need :)

desi_de_lu_lu

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
Ordered this on to make something to go with my dress for the London ladies night out

V8052.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could (make and) wear to keep myself warm? I'm making this;
V2903.jpg

or this;
V2960.jpg

I think the second one would look nice with a bolero jacket perhaps? But what about the first? I am leaning towards that one tbh,it doesn't have buttonholes...

Sorry...

That second dress is a beyotch to make.... trust me. It fits all weird.

ShoreRoadLady said:
If you're worried about fitting, I'd agree that the first pattern is better. You only have vertical princess seams to deal with, instead of that curved midriff band. And I love the pleats. :)

I'm decided on the first one now yes! I thought it would be easier as it has no buttonholes & as you say, it's an altogether easier shape to deal with and I'm very lazy when it comes to such matters!

GOt fabric today hurrah!! and net for my crinoline finally

anabolina

A-List Customer
I'm sure you'll do a great job Dolly, and bottonholes can SO be the opposite of fun. I have a 4 step buttonholer and the thread is always breaking when I try to do them, so I just don't and sew buttons on the outside and hook and eyes on the inside, cheating, but I have developed a pronounced avoidance of buttons, maybe when I have money for a nice machine with a 1 step buttonholer I'll do more of those heavily buttoned things. I think there's a review for the first one on patternreview if you're interested. I can tell you from experience that the second one has some issues. I tried it a year ago and it runs much bigger than expected and these buttonholes really got on my nerves, it's a UFO and destined to stay that way. lol. I have used the longer sleeves on the first one for my Christmas dress last December and they come together really nicely and are a nice length.

Anyway, this thread inspired me and I wandered over to ebay to buy these on Sunday and got them in the mail today, really fast and from 2 different sellers too.

f2eb_1_sbl.jpg

simp3636.jpg

I think I'll do the Simplicity pattern first, maybe something patriotic for the 4th. I'll leave the shorts and blouse for another project and focus on the dress/pinafore. The problem willl be picking a good fabric for it (and getting around to doing some of my UFOs, but my parents and sisters will be gone next week, so I'll have time and space to get out the old sewing machine again.)

anabolina

A-List Customer
Thanks ShoreRoadLady and GreyandWhiteCat, I'm looking forward to trying them out. I'm leaning toward a medium weight cotton with a small white and pale green pattern right now, but that can certainly change after going through the ol' stash.

Oh everyone is saying the 2nd pattern is a pig!! My mum was saying to just fake the buttons & put a zip in it lol

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll let you know how I go on no doubt :)

anabolina, I love those patterns!! The dresses are soooo lovely, especially the pinafore! Do show us when you are finished! YAy!!!

anabolina

A-List Customer
dollydaydream said:
Oh everyone is saying the 2nd pattern is a pig!! My mum was saying to just fake the buttons & put a zip in it lol

Thanks for your help everyone, I'll let you know how I go on no doubt :)

anabolina, I love those patterns!! The dresses are soooo lovely, especially the pinafore! Do show us when you are finished! YAy!!!

I just remembered a blogger who tried this pattern last year. I think it has some good tips.
http://kathleens-sewing.blogspot.com/2007/12/vogue-2960.html

Hmm, I see that patternreview has a lot of reviews for this pattern too and some of the versions are really inspirational. Good luck!!!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
This just arrived today! I have enough of a very fine, bright turquoise blue linen in my stash that would work for this.
2596421222_1aa29c7230.jpg

alexandra

Practically Family
My dad just brought me home the mother load. He picked these up for a grand total of $1.50 at a garage sale on the way home from work for me. I'm so excited!

34o3lll.jpg

fluffy-tiger

New in Town
alexandra said:
My dad just brought me home the mother load. He picked these up for a grand total of $1.50 at a garage sale on the way home from work for me. I'm so excited!

34o3lll.jpg

OMG!!!! Lucky girl, can I steal him, my Dad's hopeless at gifts, I swear he just uses my nearest petrol station :D
You will need to post some close ups so we can get a good look and get even more jealous!!!!!

alexandra

Practically Family
fluffy-tiger said:
OMG!!!! Lucky girl, can I steal him, my Dad's hopeless at gifts, I swear he just uses my nearest petrol station :D
You will need to post some close ups so we can get a good look and get even more jealous!!!!!

I haven't even looked very closely at them yet, but some of them are in nearly new condition. My dad is the best bargain hunter I've ever met. He taught me everything I know!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot