Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage patterns!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lauren said:
patternstash10.jpg
OMG! I am in love!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Lady Day said:
Im curious to know if you ladies have a rotation of patterns.
I go to about 70 or so, then after that I feel I need to purge the stash.

LD
I don't really have a number but I tend to get obsessed with certain style elements, then buy up a bunch with that element. Once that obsession passes, I will go through them and decide if I will keep them. Some obsessions have turned out to not be flattering to me, so I get rid of all of them. I also like to go through the whole collection at least once a year. I have 2 file boxes for vintage and 2 for modern patterns. That seems to be a good limit. Any time the boxes overflow, I try to stop buying. Although, I did recently add another box for patterns that aren't for me, ie home dec, baby gifts, menswear, ect.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I decided to buy the pattern I showed in the "casual clothes" thread. The outfit may have been intended for pajamas, but I plan on making them for sick days or laundry days.
S5205.jpg

I also bought this one, because I feel like I need a good, basic jacket pattern. So many 50s jackets/suits are a bit fussy. This one looks very classic.
B7509.jpg

I also wanted to share this site. I bought both of these patterns for less than $20, including shipping. Since eBay prices are going up, this site might have what you're looking for at a better price. I've bought from her before and been very happy. http://www.mainstreetmallonline.com/patterns/store.php?ref=15

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Very cute, Kamikat! I like the second one :)

LD, I am a die hard collector, unfortunately. I recently figured out that I want to keep the original of my Mccall patterns, but slowly will be de-stashing any post 30s ones of other brands. As long as I trace a copy of the other ones I don't mind so much not having the originals. It's just finding the time to trace them all off! I've got over 600 patterns in my personal stash. I did a photo catalog for myself and was surprised at that. And that's not counting the others I've got in the "to sell" box :eek: But at least I have the consolation that I've been collecting for 10 years so it's really not that bad, considering. That's what I tell myself anyways. lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lady Day said:
Im curious to know if you ladies have a rotation of patterns.
I go to about 70 or so, then after that I feel I need to purge the stash.

LD

I don't really know how many patterns I have -- they tend to be scattered all over the place, and I end up finding ones I didn't remember owning. But most of them tend to be variations on the same style of late-30s/early '40s shirtwaist dress, and I tend to make them up in spurts of two or three versions off the same pattern at a time. Then I'll get tired of that one and move on to another one.

I made a resolution this year not to buy any more patterns until I'd worked thru all the ones I have, but I can't really get to that point until I've figured out where they all are. Oh hey, there's one now poking out from under the couch...

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I love looking at patterns, but I confess, I actually rarely buy them!

I often see one that I like and think 'Oooo, nice!', then think, well, that's very like alot of others that you see, or I have one similar, or I realise there is an element of the design I'm not so keen on, so I resist. I am also super fussy about what I like anyway.

I do, however, have alot more knitting patterns than I will ever be able to knit. [huh] I don't even knit all the time! Oh well, guess we all have our quirks, and there are alot worse ones than collecting old patterns!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Sis said:
I often see one that I like and think 'Oooo, nice!', then think, well, that's very like alot of others that you see, or I have one similar, or I realise there is an element of the design I'm not so keen on, so I resist. I am also super fussy about what I like anyway.

Im starting to do more and more as well, because of the patterns I see, I see elements in ones I already own and why spend the money?

Im also concentrating what I look for. Late 20s to mid 40s is my window, and I rarely stray from that. Imagine how hard those eras are to find in 40 bust or higher. Thats all I get now, I cant deal with grading from a 34 any longer. I rarely get lots anymore, not only because of their sacristy, but they tend to only have 2 or 3 patterns in the bunch Im interested in.

About 70-120 (I counted :eek: ) are in my normal rotation, then like Lauren, I have my 'to sell' stash. There are roughly 50 in that. Geeze, I gotta get more fabric!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
kamikat said:
I also wanted to share this site. I bought both of these patterns for less than $20, including shipping. Since eBay prices are going up, this site might have what you're looking for at a better price. I've bought from her before and been very happy. http://www.mainstreetmallonline.com/patterns/store.php?ref=15

Thanks for the link. This site is cool, and their main search is great!

LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I really wasn't expecting to win either of these, what with the pattern prices going the way they have lately, but I was as pleased at punch that I got them both for inexpensively! :D I'm having all sorts of visions for the 30s one. It's missing instructions, but I don't care.
mccall9768s.jpg
mccall4115s.jpg

SayCici

Practically Family
The one on the left is especially gorgeous!

Which do you ladies prefer:
il_430xN.80357806.jpg

il_430xN.69734909.jpg

I've wanted a pattern for a REALLY puffy sleeved blouse since I saw one of Lauren Bacall's outfits in How to Marry a Millionaire, even though I made fun of it first. View 2 on the second one evokes a certain 30s look I like, but I don't know how much I like the shape of the collar.

Inky

One Too Many
I like the blouses because of the three views, would you make all three or would you make the dress/jumper in the first pattern? which is most practical for you?

I also love that blouse - the clothes in that movie are such fun.

SayCici

Practically Family
I would probably make two of them! I want a jumper pattern but I'm not in love with the one in the first pattern, I don't like the pleats. :eek:

Haha, just talking out my decision making process makes it kinda obvious what to go with. ;) Thank you Inky!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner