Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show us your vintage-vintage inspired Engagement Ring!

Mary

Practically Family
What lovely rings!

I'm looking for an engagement ring in silver, without any stones but there is two hands holding hand. I can't find any photos of it at all. Did I dream this one up in my head?!:p I thought it was common? What should I seach for?

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Mary said:
What lovely rings!

I'm looking for an engagement ring in silver, without any stones but there is two hands holding hand. I can't find any photos of it at all. Did I dream this one up in my head?!:p I thought it was common? What should I seach for?

Is this what you are looking for:

http://www.georgianjewelry.com/items/show/10822-antique-silver-clasped-hands-ring

Or else maybe you are thinking of a Claddagh ring (an Irish engagement/wedding ring):

http://www.claddaghring.ie/

Spearmint

New in Town
When I get my ring I will be sure to get a picture for you ladies, my finance is not telling me when I am getting it (all I know is by Christmas Eve). Because he says I already know what it looks like and I ruin all of his romantic gestures (I hate suprises). Sigh.

So in the meantime I am using my Great-Grandmothers ring, the ring my ring is inspired by, same type of stone... a garnet. But with a diffrent cut marquise vs round and on a thick instead of a band so thin that if I hit my hand hard enough it will snap in two.

The reason why its not diamond is because I hate diamonds especially in engagement and wedding rings, I see my mothers huge ring and cannot for the life of me understand the appeal of diamonds, the only diamonds I own are tiny ones that are accents to my sapphires and garnets, so in my eyes they don't count.

GlamourDoll

Familiar Face
I'm not married. But my honey's mom tells me he is on the look out for one. But if I had to pick for myself...I would love to have a square cut diamond surrounded by princess cut diamonds on the band. Not real vintage but I'm a sucker for bling!;)

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Here is my engagement ring:
engagementrings.jpg

I'm not usually a fan of diamonds, but this setting was just so cute. Plus, its not the type of ring where you would notice the gem first.
I've seen post-war bracelets that look like belts, but never rings. So I figure its vintage inspired? Of course, I could always be wrong...

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
One of the things I like best about vintage-inspired rings is that they tend to reflect the people involved in the relationship more than the third diamond from the left at the jewelery store at the mall.

I'm on my second marriage. First engagement ring was from an estate jeweler, it was from the 1920's. Current ring:
ring2-2-060001.jpg

The diamond is my grandmother's, possibly from one of her ancestors, possibly from one of the men she was engaged to before my grandfather (Fran was a hot ticket). My husband added the rubies on the sides and the diamond chips on either side: there are 11 stones total, since we're both born in November. We both liked that rubies and sapphires and other stones used to be traditional engagement jewelery, so we wanted to incorporate that idea.

Wedding band is titanium so I can leave it on while baking, gardening, playing roller derby, etc. and not destroy it. :)

Jezebel_Amazon

One of the Regulars
I'm jealous of all you girls! I don't think my sweetie has thoughts of me like that yet, sadly. I'm hopeful for even a promise ring which I would be so happy about.
Maybe is should pop the question first?:eusa_doh:

Mary

Practically Family
If I had a sweetheart I'd propose once a week. It seem so much fun. Put rings in food and drinks, kneel, quote poetry but up I love you signs all over town and all that. It's such a fun tradition!

Of course you should surprise your sweetheart!

Jezebel_Amazon said:
I'm jealous of all you girls! I don't think my sweetie has thoughts of me like that yet, sadly. I'm hopeful for even a promise ring which I would be so happy about.
Maybe is should pop the question first?:eusa_doh:

NicolettaRose

Practically Family
Elaina said:
That would require me to get off my anti-marriage kick. That said I want this:

http://www.faycullen.com/art_deco_engagement_rings/800/g317r2de.html

It's my birthstone and my son's, but the day I spent $2500 on jewelry is never going to happen.

Love this ring and this website, I drool over it regularly! You don't need to get married to get a pretty ring, it could be a special birthday present, a promise ring or for no occasion at all!

Christy

One of the Regulars
Wow, all of your rings are beautiful!
Here's a picture of my ring from the manicures, thread, that's about the best picture I have of it.
http://thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=857743&postcount=457

I think it looks a little vintage inspired. The center diamond is a marquis cut and there are three small diamonds on each side. The wedding band that goes with it has three diamonds that wrap around the top part of the marquis and three that wrap around the bottom. My fiance picked it out all by himself, I was so surprised. However, now he wants to get me a different ring because his sister ended up with the same exact ring. I'm not sure how I feel about getting a new ring. On one hand it'd be neat to get something unique, but on the other hand my ring has a lot of sentimental value.

Anyway, I have some questions about vintage engagement rings, since I know nothing about them. Was it more common to have a colored stone as an engagement ring, or was it still the diamond? Once the couple was married would the wife still wear the engagement ring on the left ring finger in addition to the wedding band or would she just wear the wedding band and switch the engagement ring to the right hand? If I do end up getting a new ring I think I'd want one with a sapphire as the center stone.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
It's beautiful, Christy! Good for your FDH - I chose mine myself, because my fiancé didn't have a clue lol
Would it really bother him if you kept that ring? If you're too attached to it (and how could you not be?) then his sister having it shouldn't stop you from keeping it. After all, would he expect her to give up her ring?

My engagement ring isn't my original one. Kyle bought me a beautiful aquamarine set in a thin gold band. It was lovely - only the band broke, and we soon discovered it would cost more to fix it than it would be to buy a new one. So, that's what we did - and this time, with a sturdy band. I missed my aquamarine, but my little belt ring means just as much because he gave it to me.

I found a site on early history of diamond engagement rings - I don't think its what you're looking for, but its interesting anyway. :)

Christy

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the link C-dot, somehow I missed your post! I'd like to learn more in general about engagement rings, so I'll enjoy reading the link you posted.

I don't think he'd be bothered if I kept my ring, he's just silly like that. I don't think he realizes that it doesn't really matter to me what it looks like, it's the meaning behind it, boys!

I really like your belt ring, it's really pretty and unique.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I don't have a photo of my rings, but I think I'd describe them as classic. My engagement ring is a plain yellow gold band with a round diamond solitaire, my wedding band is plain yellow gold. Very simple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112