Show Us Your Wool

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Turnip, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

First thread, though I used the search function I didn’t find a more generalized thread like this one is intended to be.

I would like to invite everybody to show any woolen, also blended woolen clothing and accessory here.

Jackets, sweaters, jumpers, scarves, pants, gloves and caps...

[​IMG]

Post pictures, stories, recommendations...whatever you like.

I’ll start with a Troyer / Quarter Zip...from Rymhart which I recently received and unboxed today.

It’s the „Heavy Wool“ version, color is Navy, size is XXL, standard fit.
    There are also respective slim fit and comfort fit sizes available, as well as an even heavier version with additional inner cotton lining and a lighter edition in Merino with limited color range, custom products are possible too.

Opening the box and removing the paper you’ll find a pretty stabile sailcloth bag
    which contains the Troyer.

[​IMG]

Package includes also an envelope with additional information, certificate with serial number and a refreshment voucher.

[​IMG]

The sewn in neck label shows the serial number, hang tag and moth bag with cloves, lavender and some more are removably attached, smells quite nice.

[​IMG]

Zip is made from nickeled brass with additional chrome plating and goes smooth as silk. Tag is made from nickel silver. This below pic also comes closest to the real color.

[​IMG]

Zipped up, the double layered collar covers the whole neck and chin, well up to ears and nose.

[​IMG]

Knitting is pretty tight and gives good flexibility, though „standard“ wool it is pretty smooth and doesn’t itch at all, just very little, natural smell. Material is relative heavy, XXL standard fit brings 1.690kg onto the scale, the grip is real solid but though smooth.

Fits like tailored to measure.

Spinning, dyeing, knitting, tailoring all Made In Germany, Organic Dyes, Sustainable Production and Economizing.

A very, very excellent piece of clothing, in fact the very best knitted Troyer I ever held in my hands. Price tag might appear to be hefty but considering what you get for that money in relation to huge brands like Boss, Paul&Shark... this a more than fair deal.

So if you’re after „the ultimate“ Troyer / Quarter Zip I would recommend to give this one a try if you can get your hands on it.

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoyed and may add some stuff to this Fred.

Cheers

Turnip

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
    STEVIEBOY1 and Peacoat like this.
  2. Turnip

Today it’s an Aero Submariner in Navy, pure Shetland Wool, size XXL.

XXL-Submariner-Data:
    Weight: 630g
    Pit to pit width: 595mm
    Back length from collar seam: 665mm
    Sleeve length from pit: 470mm

Having initially ordered a pair of Town Boots from Aero, while waiting for my HWM, this one followed soon after.

[​IMG]

Being pretty impressed with the quality of this sweater, i finally decided to switch large parts of wardrobe from US to European stuff.

[​IMG]

The Wool is relatively smooth and doesn’t cause itching.
    The fit is comfortable but not loose what makes it well wearable under my leather jacket or one of the three remaining Carhartt jackets.

[​IMG]

The knitting is tight but not as tight as the Rymhart what makes it less than half the weight and slightly more fluffy.

[​IMG]

Cuffs and roll neck are not too long and single layered, what makes it preferable to be worn beneath a jacket, rather than stand alone, but that’s only my personal taste.

Cheers

Turnip

3. Turnip

Today it´s a BRAX quater zip sweater, Navy, size 56 (continental European), blend of 80% Merino and 20% cotton, weight 715g.

[​IMG]

This is one of the oldest sweaters in my "collection", purchased years ago. The brand BRAX is a German fashion brand that´s focussed more on ald sack clothing style, so pretty attractive for an old sack like me.

[​IMG]

The sweater is kind of a fashinonable interpretation of a Troyer, rather than a real Troyer. The collar covers the neck up to the chin, so rather a stand-up than a Troyer collar when zipped up.
    It shows some visible marks of wear meanwhile but the plastic zipper with metal tag still works reliably and i could so far not find any pilling, though i machine washed it quite often during the years.

[​IMG]

I would estimate this sweater to be medium heavy and very well "climatizing" temperatures between 10°C and 20°C, so a classic spring/fall sweater but too light for real winter.

[​IMG]

Cuffs are rather on the shorter end, knitting quality, texture and grip feel superb, comfortable and reliable for not too cold weather, no itching from the very beginning.

[​IMG]

Time to visit the farmers market now!

Cheers

Turnip

4. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB Familiar Face

Rascher (Austria) loden hunting jacket. AQA/Thinsulate waterproof membrane lined with inner lining of quilted polyester on top and tartan cotton on the bottom. Imported from Grube.de. Very warm, very comfortable with the cashmere lined collar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Turnip likes this.
  5. Turnip

Looks very good!

Loden is THE classic alpine outdoor shell since centuries, simply timeless excellence.

6. Turnip

Just a scarf today. Paul&Shark, 100% Virgin Wool, Length With Fringes 1850mm, Length Without Fringes 1690mm, Width 250mm, Weight 420g.

[​IMG]

Passed down to me from my dad who had no opportunity to wear it before he died.

[​IMG]

As usual with P&S made very well using finest materials, made in Europe.
    Fine grip, no itching, soft grip though tightly woven.
    Sturdy enough to fit the purpose, sailing, yachting, working on or near water.
    So not just posing but a real peace of utility clothing.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Turnip

Horseoak likes this.
  7. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Here's some of my wool accoutrement...

Brixton wool newsboy...
    [​IMG]

Two Irish tweed caps from Kevin & Howlin, Dublin:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Wool knit beanie:
    [​IMG]

A couple Irish wool sweaters:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Woolly pully:
    [​IMG]

Wool J. A. Bank overcoat I bought for a whole $12 at a GoodWill!
    [​IMG]

Wool scarf:
    [​IMG]

Turnip likes this.
  8. Turnip

Puuuh, pretty impressive collection!
    I really like those Irish sweaters.

I like Ireland anyway, met many friendly Irish and have also been over there at several occasions.

What are the colors of the scarf about? Some Hurling or Gaelic Football colors?

Cheers

Turnip

Bushman likes this.
  9. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB Familiar Face

I too like those Irish sweaters. Very nice.

Bushman likes this.
  10. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Thank you, gentlemen! I purchased them in Dublin while there on a study-abroad in college.

The scarf is actually patterned off of the Gryffindor-house Harry Potter scarves, particularly their design in the first two Chris Columbus directed movies:
    [​IMG]

Turnip likes this.
  11. Flanderian

Flanderian A-List Customer

Alex Begg of Scotland makes a line of scarves they have named Jura. It is a blend of 75% lambswool and 25% angora.

I particularly enjoy cashmere scarves, but less so paying for them. ;) Surprisingly, the Begg scarves are remarkably similar to cashmere in both softness and warmth, but offer it at 1/2 to 1/3 the price of cashmere.

Jura.jpg

Peacoat and Turnip like this.
  12. Turnip

Excellent, thanks for the hint!

Something to snoop for souvenir during my Scotland vacation.

:)

13. Aerielle Max

Aerielle Max New in Town

Nice they look awesoem! I love it

Turnip likes this.
  14. Turnip

Thank you very much!

:)

Will add some more later today

15. Turnip

Today it’s an Aero Donegal rollneck sweater, flecked brown, size XXL, 100% Merino.

[​IMG]

XXL-Donegal-Data:
    Weight:440g
    Pit to pit width: 580mm
    Back length from collar seam: 650mm
    Sleeve length from pit: 440mm

[​IMG]

Pattern is quite close to the Submariner further up, dimensions are slightly different, weight is remarkably different.

[​IMG]

Knitting is less tight than on the Submariner so this needs at least a long sleeved shirt to work without a jacket.

[​IMG]

The roll neck is not overly long but covers lower ears and chin when rolled out, though of course not too thick and really windproof anymore.

[​IMG]

Cuffs and bottom knitting are on the shorter end.

[​IMG]

Over all a very nice piece of knitting. Remarkably lighter and less tightly knitted this is a really fine sweater for layering, especially along with a coat or jacket, rather than a stand alone. Purchased for 65,- bucks from Aero there’s nothing to regret.

Cheers

Turnip

Ticklishchap, Cornelius and Bushman like this.
  16. Turnip

Just a watch cap today..100% wool, Weight 135g, Height 18cm, Black

[​IMG]

Double layered, fine knitting inside fore better comfort.

[​IMG]

Cheers

Turnip

17. Turnip

Rymhart Cardigan Today, 100% Wool, Cotton Inner Lining, Machine Washable, Navy, Size XXL, Weight 2,35kg.

No plastic bags or similar used in the box or packaging.

[​IMG]

Just a heavy duty sail cloth bag inside.

[​IMG]

Out comes this.

[​IMG]

Quite solid feeling, tough is the right word. Zipper´s well covered by front flaps for better wind resilience.

[​IMG]

Tightly woven inner cotton lining on body and sleeves keep the wind outside.

[​IMG]

Double layered neck covers face and ears up to the eyes.

[​IMG]

Inside pocket on left side and two handwarmer pockets on outside.

[​IMG]

Excellent finish down to smallest details.

[​IMG]

Long but not excessive length wear, comfortable handling and just the right elasticity, perfect width in shoulders and very comfortable sleeve length/width.

[​IMG]

Over all another excellent piece of craftsmanship in my opinion. For sure a hefty price tag but worth every Cent from my point of view.

Cheers

Turnip

Cornelius likes this.
  18. Turnip

Joop! Jumper Today, 100% Merino, Extra Fine Knitting, Size XXXL

[​IMG]

Low stand-up collar makes is excellently wearable und my leather jacket, without roll neck feeling.

[​IMG]

Extra fine knitting on body and bands.

[​IMG]

Over all a very nice, soft and non-itchy jumper. As usual with Merino it’s excellently climatizing at an astonishing wide temperature range.

Cheers

Turnip