Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Show your natural leather

torfjord

Call Me a Cab
noted:D I can't find leather grease locally, but Obenauf HeavyDuty LP is almost the same right? I don't like Obenauf leather oil, many people turn their wallet into dirty ugly brown by using obenauf leather oil.

I haven’t tried any Obenauf products so I can’t really say. The stuff I use will darken the leather just a little bit, and it has a low absorption rate, most of it stays on top of the leather.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
great job man, great patience and craftmanship, and the leather all looking nice and not grubby, how do you kept them under control in their "patina" building? did you protect them with leather finish top coat of some sort?

My belt and wallet look pretty much the same and all i have used is neatsfoot oil once a year.
It darkens the leather for a couple days and then the colour lightens again.
It doesn't leave a greasy/sticky surface at all.

Edit, found pics:

gtfQ6FF.jpg

YZFFD3a.jpg

eYYwR0z.jpg

Last edited:

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
New Daltech Bull Belt in natural, day 1 out of the box. Not at all pale, it looks like it's got some darkening already. It's a 1/4" thick, and under $40 shipped, and it arrived 2 days after ordering. They even swapped the standard hardware for brass at my request for no charge. Nice company to deal with.

img_20200804_132041_7-jpg.251818

Attachments

• IMG_20200804_132041_7.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 1,946

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday i made simple wraparound bracelet for my aunt's bday, using left over vegtan cow 2mm hide of my jacket and jeans button
20201209_165136.jpg

I used oil to keep it supple so it can be uncoiled back into flat piece.
She likes it, and i think perhaps i should make another for her husband too.

And today I made slightly different one
Using water to harden the leather into shape, for myself and 1 more for her husband
20201209_165211.jpg

20201209_165322.jpg
20201209_165342.jpg

Was fun, manually slicking the edges actually take hours and elbow grease with wooden slicker wand, while cutting and wet shaping it only take minutes.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I make bracelet again from nat vegtan cow, for my mom's birthday.
Using water to stretch that flaring out edges. Buffing it when it is almost dry with wooden edge slicker for few Hours while watching tv.
IMG_20210105_074742.jpg

Strange boringly fun activity...

My own bracelet i wear daily for a month
IMG_20210105_200557.jpg

Visibly darkening

Last edited:

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Natural vegtan cow wristbands I frequently wear.
20210218_085406.jpg

The thin simple one on the left is 2 yrs once over saturated with conditioner when only several weeks old and turned dirty matte brown (impatient rookie error) over time with no more conditioner and just wearing it turn brighter and has some glow back

The middle double wrap one is from March 2020 almost 1 year just before covid hit here, so only been wearing it indoor mostly, i put in the sun once or twice, and light condition it with mink oil and rub beeswax on it and buff into shine several time, worn doing housechore mostly, i like the redness tone it grows into.

The right fancy one lol, i made that from the leftover leather of my jacket last december 2020, 2 mnths old, it was water shaped so that made it darker from start, lightly conditioned with waterbased conditioner, and rubbed with beeswax and buffed, never suntanned. Frequently worn also by doing housechore indoor washing my dishes, frequent covid hand washing protocol.

My vegtan jacket is being worn often since june2020 so 8months old , spent sometime being sun tanned directly under the sun facing the sun or hanged whole day for weeks in the shade outside on a hanger before rainy season started, treated with minkoil, and recently "formula1 mr leather cleaner & conditioner mink oil enriched" leather conditioner from hardware store.
20210218_082706.jpg

I read somewhere online, about mink oil, and sun tanning giving the redness tone patina on natural veg tan, dunno by how much, but my jacket does appear more red than my wristband made from the same leather.

Attachments

• 20210218_085214.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 680

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Screenshot_20210318-072631_Gallery.jpg

My 3 months old leather wristband compared to belt clip wallet chain i made yesterday using same leftover leather of my jacket, i added that mushroom stud bolt thing on my wristband because loop and friction doesnt work anymore when the leather has gotten smoother around the edges and stretched a bit.
Screenshot_20210318-072320_Gallery.jpg

I bought at Diy hobby supplier online shop; 1m square chain ($1), a pair of clasps (2× $1/2), and spring loaded keychain ring ($1/2) and free delivery, online on local marketplace app, spending less than $3 and use the last usable bit of the leftover leather, and i have new wallet chain:)
I coat the belt clip part with final coat creme, but I leave the pant protector( chain sleeve thing ) completely natural, i want some indigo stain on it.:D i want to compare how they would evolve x months from now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana