Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Showcase of Non-Indy Federations

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
I've always avoided black fedoras because I fear looking like Jack Abramoff, but I have softened toward them recently, and wouldn't mind owning one with about a 2-inch brim.

As for a ribbon swap, I still find a contrasting ribbon on a black hat a bit too "gangster" for my taste.

-Dave

carter

I'll Lock Up
Federation III, Heritage quality felt
3201164431_aee9223178.jpg

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
filfoster said:
David Conwill said:
I've always avoided black fedoras because I fear looking like Jack Abramoff, but I have softened toward them recently, and wouldn't mind owning one with about a 2-inch brim.
jack_abramoff_6.jpg

Hey! Inspector Gadget!

Hey Indy! Where's your whip?

Where's your horse, cowboy?

Did you catch the bad guy, Dick Tracy?

Note:
In case you think I've gone around the bend, check out the "Dumbest Comment I Ever Heard" thread.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You don't know Jack

I believe Jack got his hat at Bencraft. At least that is what I have read. I also read that it is a Borso Diamante.

Whatever, I have had the Borso Diamante in Black from Bencraft for a few years. People still like me, puppies don't bite me and no one calls me Jack.

He is a jerk the hat is great.

dschonn

Familiar Face
I really feel like I need a Federation. Alas, I have not the funds necessary. Yet. I shall someday have one. I shall.

I have a feeling I'll want to trim the brim, too, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

These Feds all look wonderful, guys.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
dschonn said:
I really feel like I need a Federation. Alas, I have not the funds necessary. Yet. I shall someday have one. I shall.

I have a feeling I'll want to trim the brim, too, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Depends on your face shape. Trimming the brim worked for UWS Cowboy. How that crown height looks on me, however, I wouldn't trim the brim.

I have two Fed IVs, a std. tawny fawn and a Deluxe moonstone. For the money they are ridiculously good--comfortable, resilient, bashable, weather-shedding, and shrink-resistant.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
dschonn said:

FYI, I hate to offer temptation, but theres a whole thread on how the Aussie dollar has dropped, so ordering the Akubra is quite a value right now:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34674&highlight=akubra+value+soaring

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
MrBern said:
FYI, I hate to offer temptation, but theres a whole thread on how the Aussie dollar has dropped, so ordering the Akubra is quite a value right now:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=34674&highlight=akubra+value+soaring
I got a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe for $140 shipped, or the price of a heavily discounted Stetson Nostalgia, Temple, or Chatham not including shipping.

The regular Fed IV comes out to about $96 shipped, or less than a Dorfman-Pacific Indiana Jones.

dschonn

Familiar Face
Man oh man. I am sorely tempted. I am still vacillating between the carbon grey and the moonstone, though, and between the regular and deluxe.

My birthday's coming up. Maybe I can get somebody to pitch in.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
JohnnyB53 said:
I got a moonstone Fed IV Deluxe for $140 shipped, or the price of a heavily discounted Stetson Nostalgia, Temple, or Chatham not including shipping.

The regular Fed IV comes out to about $96 shipped, or less than a Dorfman-Pacific Indiana Jones.

And Ive noticed that ordering more than one hat, you can save on combined shipping.
I've got too many brown or black hats, Im feeling the need for a carbon grey or maybe moonstone.

I was thinking of ordering a stylemaster from http://everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?Search=Yes&sppp=18 Its a bit cheaper there, but the 3 month wait would kill me.

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
dschonn said:
Man oh man. I am sorely tempted. I am still vacillating between the carbon grey and the moonstone, though, and between the regular and deluxe.

My birthday's coming up. Maybe I can get somebody to pitch in.
Stateside, a decent entry-level fur felt fedora from Stetson, Dobbs, or Bailey will run at least $140 and more like $160-170. For $140-ish, you can get a Fed IV Deluxe delivered to your door, and the felt on that hat feels so substantial and yet luxurious all at the same time. I got myself a Fed IV Deluxe in moonstone (after getting a Fed IV std. tawny fawn, CEO, and DM Adventurer), and the Deluxe is by far my favorite hat and the one that makes me feel hte most pampered when I wear it.

dschonn

Familiar Face
UWS Cowboy said:
One last trim. It measures right over 2 and a quarter.
Did you make the brim the same all the way around, or is it still dimensional?

I have a Fed IV coming, and I'm thinking I might have to trim the brim to be able to wear it without looking, in the words of one poster on this forum, like a pez dispenser. I'm wondering whether to retain the dimensional cut or make it "circular".

citRon

A-List Customer
dschonn said:
I'm thinking I might have to trim the brim to be able to wear it without looking, in the words of one poster on this forum, like a pez dispenser.
:D that's the best one I've heard in a while!!

JohnnyB53

One of the Regulars
citRon said:
:D that's the best one I've heard in a while!!
If anything, you run the risk of looking more like a Pez dispenser if you trim the brim. The Fed has a relatively high, straight-sided crown. The smaller the brim, the more the crown dominates and less influence the brim has on reminding the viewer that it's a hat. You can bash the crown to introduce some taper and what not, but I strongly recommend that you wear the hat as shipped for awhile before cutting it.

I'm also a fan of the dimensional brim. It gives you the more imposing profile of a bigger brim while not swallowing you up when viewed from the front.

dschonn

Familiar Face
Well, yeah, I wasn't going to trim any without trying it out as is first. And I wouldn't take off any more than absolutely necessary, probably only 1/8 or 1/4 inch. I just like the deep bash you see in those old movies (H. Bogart, W. Powell, J. Stewart, et cetera), and I feel like that might screw up the proportions. Actually, I'm not at all sure I'll trim at all. I'm just too excited about getting the hat not to think about it constantly.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Not-Bogart13 said:
Well, since we brought it up at Copa's, I had to have a look. I like what you did with it. Very dashing.
Why thank U very much.
But really, I think the photo is just a good angle. The brim feels a bit wide for wearing on the street & Ive seriously considered trimming it down a bit.
Ive got some new akubras on the way so I'll be making some brim decisions soon.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24