Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shrinking a hat to reverse taper?

fenris

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering if this was possible...

Can you in fact attempt to shrink only one part of the hat? Particularly the bottom of the crown to form a sort of reverse taper...

Anyone ever try this either by accident or intentional? What steps / techniques did you use?

tnitz

New in Town
Spot shrinking

I have carefully applied steam to just the sweat area to shrink a hat and also to avoid shrinking the upper crown. I can't say I ever accomplished reverse taper, but I have successfully steamed the lower crown, ribbon/sweat area without affecting the top of the crown. Unfortunately, the hat I shrunk the most was already tapered and once I had it shrunk to size I immediately took it for reblocking, so I can't say if what you suggest is possible.

fenris

One of the Regulars
I was thinking just that, but was a little wary about using steam since steam rises and it might not get concentrated on the bottom of the crown and I might end up tapering the top of the crown.

I was actually thinking of getting the bottom of the crown wet then using a hair-dryer to concentrate the heat source. But I'm still afraid of what might happen. Hehehe...

Anybody else have a better suggestion?

Tone

A-List Customer
Hi Fenris,

Is there a certain look or hat you are trying to copy with the notion of reverse taper?

Any pics of what you are trying to replicate? Or are you trying to do a Dr. Seuss type of top hat?

fenris

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
Hi Fenris,

Is there a certain look or hat you are trying to copy with the notion of reverse taper?

Any pics of what you are trying to replicate? Or are you trying to do a Dr. Seuss type of top hat?

Not really... just wondering if it was possible.

But I might go that route to make the PB hat fit better without having to use 2 foam strips and probably get an exaggerated Raiders look.

fenris

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
What does the PB look like on you now?

It looks bigger than the Fed IV and it's really loose. I got it 2nd hand from Texan Scott at COW... It has a possibility to be an exaggerated Raiders hat in my opinion.

fenris

One of the Regulars
I'm too far away and I have this strange DIY thing... I always wanna try and do stuff on my own. It usually ends up as a "Destroy It Yourself" project, but at least I learned something.

I DIY'ed my car audio system and ended up screwing up making a fiberglass enclosure for my subwoofer and kickpods for my front speakers. But what the heck? I did learn something in the process.

Same with my Christy's which I attempted a reblock on.

Right now the PB is on my other home-made block. I wet the entire sweatband and lower portion of the crown (not the entire crown and left the brim dry) and applied a little heat on that area before putting it on the block.

Anyway, funny thing is while I was massaging the hat into the block, some fur would come out. I rubbed my hand around the hat in a clockwise fashion and it was like I was pouncing it... some fur fibers would come off just like when pouncing a hat. I doubt my thumb and hand were as rough as sandpaper. Weird.

Tone

A-List Customer
Second hand, huh? Exaggerated Indy hat? Maybe there's a reason it went up for sale in the first place. Hope it didn't cost too much as a new PB is currently only, what? $205 or so? I don't think they're making the FED III crown height versions anymore, either. (Though, they're custom, so... I guess somebody could order one all tall again for one of those exaggerated Indy crowns if they wanted.)

Well, good luck with that home block. Too bad there are no before shots to see where the problem was; but maybe we'll get to see what you end up doing to it.

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
I've had good success shrinking a hat using the following method,

Wet the sweatband with a spray bottle, soak it actually. Turn the hat upside down and put a dish towel inside. Arrange the dish towel so only the sweatband is exposed. Hang a light bulb in the hat so the heat from the bulb will heat the leather and shrink it. The moisture from the sweatband and the heat from the bulb will also help the felt to continue the felting process and "shrink" It takes about 20 - 30 minutes to start happening then you need to watch it carefully so it doesn't shrink too much. If you go slow you might be able to get a reverse taper on the crown

fenris

One of the Regulars
Tone said:
Second hand, huh? Exaggerated Indy hat? Maybe there's a reason it went up for sale in the first place. Hope it didn't cost too much as a new PB is currently only, what? $205 or so? I don't think they're making the FED III crown height versions anymore, either. (Though, they're custom, so... I guess somebody could order one all tall again for one of those exaggerated Indy crowns if they wanted.)

Well, good luck with that home block. Too bad there are no before shots to see where the problem was; but maybe we'll get to see what you end up doing to it.

Actually, there's no problem. It's just big for me that's why I thought it would make a great "exaggerated" Raiders hat. It's a very nice hat and got it almost brand new. And don't worry, I got a really super-duper great deal on the hat.

I'm starting to like the way it looks on my head... just wanted to know if I can shrink the sweatband and felt to make it an exaggerated raiders.

Reverse taper

I love a reverse taper. Is this what you are looking for at the rear of the hat? Pics 3 and 4 show it well.

Steam, and a very sharp blow to create a deep center dent will move the crown reverse.

I got the tip from Art.;)

Check out my first VS bash.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=48630

fenris said:
I was just wondering if this was possible...

Can you in fact attempt to shrink only one part of the hat? Particularly the bottom of the crown to form a sort of reverse taper...

Anyone ever try this either by accident or intentional? What steps / techniques did you use?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24