Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Ronsirs: Not What they Used to Be

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks for your thoughtful post. I own the Freeway frames in brown tortoise, and while I haven't filled them yet (in glass!), I found them to be rugged-looking anyway. Do you have an opinion on the Freeways? I'm also interested in your opinion of the Saville Row Windsors:

http://www.optometristattic.com/6996_Optometrist_Attic.htm

Thanks for your feedback.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
The Freeways feel like tough sons-of-guns. If not on par with Ray-Ban, then certainly just below them. I haven't got much hands-on experience with them, but they feel very solid. Absolutely no experience with any Saville Row products, so I cannot give any feedback.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Re Rayban Clubmasters.... I have a couple of pairs of those somewhere, from when I used to wear contacts frequently. Nice sunglasses. I prefer the Shurons, though - not least for the range of sizes available (Rayban, to the best of my knowledge, only do two overall widths, no other variables). FWIW, a number of opticians over the years have advised me that Raybans aren't worth paying for if you plan to install prescription lenses, as a significant proportion of what you pay for with the Bans is the quality of the lenses. Course, you could always go used - I've seen plenty of lenseless pairs on eBay...

Ironically I bought a 52mm pair at Sunglass hut two years ago for about $140.00. Saw a pair recently at an opticians where the tortoise clubmaster frames like mine were available without the sunglass lenses...for $160.00. That's a lot of markup for an eyedoctor compared to the mall which usually isn't that inexpensive. ;)

D

Deleted member 16736

The Freeways feel like tough sons-of-guns. If not on par with Ray-Ban, then certainly just below them. I haven't got much hands-on experience with them, but they feel very solid. Absolutely no experience with any Saville Row products, so I cannot give any feedback.

Thank you. Greatly appreciated.

univibe88

One Too Many
I wish Shuron would reply. I have had my blackwood Ronsirs for about 4 years and I love them. My 80 something year old optometrist really loves them.

Edward

Bartender
Ironically I bought a 52mm pair at Sunglass hut two years ago for about $140.00. Saw a pair recently at an opticians where the tortoise clubmaster frames like mine were available without the sunglass lenses...for $160.00. That's a lot of markup for an eyedoctor compared to the mall which usually isn't that inexpensive. ;)

Jinkies, that's a gouge!

Edward

Bartender
I wish Shuron would reply. I have had my blackwood Ronsirs for about 4 years and I love them. My 80 something year old optometrist really loves them.

I'm the same. Be interesting to know if I'm just really not hard on glasses, or if they had a bad batch recently.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Long story short, everyone I've been e-mailing has been getting my messages in their spam filter. I've had to create a new e-mail address, and will be using it to re-send my message to Shuron before the end of the day.

CircuitRider

One of the Regulars
Jinkies, that's a gouge!
The "Eyemart" where I went charged me $10.00 dollars to use my frames, but was still cheaper, plus I have the ray-ban lenses. been wearing these about three years, well made. Was watching Moholland Falls on netflix, Bruce Dern's Character had an awesome pair of gray and white browmaster type glasses, looked like Shuron.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Got a response this morning. It's... not quite what I expected, but, something, I guess. I'm not sure what I expected, honestly, but, this isn't it.

Hello ________,

Thanks for taking the time to send the email. We will pass along the comments. Honestly, we rarely hear any complaints for the Ronsir/Revelation. Most customers are on the other side of the spectrum. From time to time, we do have a few Tortoise top pieces that are not quite dark enough. We apologize for this situation. We try to monitor/inspect the raw sheets of ZYL that we bring in to make the parts, but there is some variance. We will definitely give our production staff the comments regarding the bridge design. Most of our customers favor the ability to add base curvature as needed. Have a nice weekend. Thanks.

Regards,

Peter

ojaw

A-List Customer
Not sure what you expected either, but my experience with Shuron has been positive.
I have two prescription pairs from them; sunglass Revelations and clear Ronsirs.
They are the only company I was able to find that had 24mm bridge options in the style that I was looking for.

You tried to bend frames without using hot water or a sand tray?!
tut tut

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner