Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shuron Ronsirs: Not What they Used to Be

MisterGrey

Practically Family
First let me say that while I understand if this is merged into the extant Vintage Eyewear thread, I understand. Let me also say that I believe this to be a very important topic that every optically challenged Lounger should read.

For even longer than I have been a member of the Fedora Lounge I have been aware of Shuron as the manufacturer of vintage eyewear. Heck, they invented half of the styles they sell, and are probably responsible for perfecting many others. For many years I've had an affinity for the brand-- a pair of Ronsirs that I got as part of a try-on program in 2008 first brought me to the Lounge, and my Regis rimless frames saw me through nearly three years of wear. Despite the fact that they were rimless, they were the toughest little frames I'd owned. On top of this, their customer service has always been excellent, bar none; their home try-on program revolutionary, simple, and helpful beyond all means.

When I went to work as an optician some time ago in an independent office, and saw the rimless glasses we were offering, I made it an ongoing project of mine to try and get Shuron Regis in stock as a tougher, more stable alternative to the flimsier "dress" frames then in store; failing that, I at least wanted to share Shuron's plastic frames with our customers, a tough, American made alternative to the more expensive, foreign-produced designer products dominating our stock. After all, foreign-produced products are a point of contention with several of our patients, who are largely blue-collar, multi-generational Americans who themselves work in production-based industries directly affected by the outsourcing of labor. On every front, everyone would be a winner: The office would make a higher profit with Shuron than any other line in store; patients would be receiving a quality product; American jobs would be supported.

An opportunity arose recently when two gentlemen in as many days asked about getting their hands on browline frames. I was the only one in the office to recognize a quick, easy source for the kind of frames these men wanted, and within a week I was on the phone with Shuron arranging to have a supply of Ronsirs and some Freeways sent to our office. Things were looking up.

Then, they came in.

There is no doubt that the Ronsir and the Revelation are fine looking frames, and they carry, for the most part, the same old-school aesthetic that put Shuron on the map half a century ago (I say "for the most part" because I was somewhat troubled by how translucent the tortoiseshell and lighter plastics really are-- you can read the markings through the front of the frame. But, I figured, who would see that unless someone inches from your face? And if they're that close, why would they care that they can read the size of the glasses through your frame)? When I decided to try on a pair for myself, however, I got a sinking feeling.

The bridge of the Ronsir is perhaps one of the flimsiest eyeglass bridges I have had the displeasure of having handled in my 13 years of glasses wearing, collecting, and selling. With virtually no effort, I was able to bend the bridge pretty much in half. I am a large man but not an exceptionally strong man. I can only do two pullups, and am able to bench only about ~85% of my own body weight. I am not Arnold. I am not Charles Atlas. This is not a case of exceptional strength damaging a sturdy product. The bridge was flimsy, thin, and malleable. The simple act of opening the temples of the frames caused the outer portion of the frame to "flex" as the bridge bent. Closer inspection revealed a "wide" gap between the plastic brows and the metal portion of the frame encircling the lenses-- only a few mm, but, on other browlines I have handled, the brows sit flush with the metal, with no room between; I could easily slip the corner of an index card into these.

Of all the Revelations and Ronsirs we received, each of them fits this criteria. I was ashamed to present the Shurons to these gentlemen, and made sure to point out-- and demonstrate-- the malleability of the bridges. Thankfully, there was no/minimal concern, with one gentleman only wanting to wear them for a desk job and the other satisfied that he could replace them within a year through warranty were they to break. Nevertheless, it was-- is-- a point of personal disappointment that I could have ever vouched for these frames.

Ladies and gentlemen of the lounge, the Shuron Ronsirs and Revelations are of no higher a quality than dollar store sunglasses frames. As someone who has long wanted to own a pair for himself, who had faith in the company, I am extremely disappointed. Other modern browline frames demonstrate nowhere near the flimsiness of Shurons. The Ray-Ban clubmaster is solid; so are POMY browlines, a now-discontinued knock-off produced by-- wait for it-- Wal-Mart. Yes, my dear ladies and fellows, a no-name, bargain-basement, knock-off frame is tougher, more solid, a more durable piece of eyewear than the product manufactured by the company that invented it. This is not just a disappointment; it is a disgrace.

I post this not only as a warning to the ladies and gentlemen of the Lounge who may be considerng or might consider purchasing a pair of Revelations or Ronsirs to compliment/complete their vintage look; I post it as a call to arms. Get your hands on a pair-- through the try on program, or through a vendor who carries them. See this tragedy for yourselves. Then, take action. This is not the quality of product that aided the men of a generation; this is a poor imitation. We deserve better; Shuron themselves deserve better.

Last edited:

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Have you considered bringing your concerns to the company execs? Considering you work in the industry and obviously have considerable knowledge and experience, your opinion would likely carry more weight than the average joe. Perhaps they are unaware of the deplorable quality of this particular run of product, and maybe it could be rectified.

Just a thought.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Do you think I should? Since I'm just one person, professional or not, I don't know how much weight my input would carry. Also, since all of their production is done on sight, how could a production error fail to be seen by anyone, especially when it's a matter of the bridge having lost the thickness/rigidity to provide proper support?

And though it isn't related to the structural quality of the frames, a review of photos of the frame on various sites have confirmed that the translucency of the lighter plastics is not isolated to the frames we received; you can very clearly see size markings through the plastic.

I'm willing to bet that you've run into their effort to lighten the frame (lighter plastic, less weighty bridge material). One of the issues I can imagine a focus group having is the weight of the Ronsir frame. My vintage ones are really quite heavy to wear.

And yes, of course you should bring your concerns to the company. At least you might get an answer as to why the glasses are how they are.

bk

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Do you think I should? Since I'm just one person, professional or not, I don't know how much weight my input would carry. Also, since all of their production is done on sight, how could a production error fail to be seen by anyone, especially when it's a matter of the bridge having lost the thickness/rigidity to provide proper support?

And though it isn't related to the structural quality of the frames, a review of photos of the frame on various sites have confirmed that the translucency of the lighter plastics is not isolated to the frames we received; you can very clearly see size markings through the plastic.

I agree with Baron, you definitely should. It's possible there may be metallurgy issues that people in the company are not aware of.

Or it may be a case of the company trying to fly some crap under the radar and save money, thinking their customers won't notice, in which case it's all the more important that you let them know they're not getting away with it. Hopefully they'll rethink such an ill advised strategy if they start getting feedback calling them out on it.

Edward

Bartender
I'm willing to bet that you've run into their effort to lighten the frame (lighter plastic, less weighty bridge material). One of the issues I can imagine a focus group having is the weight of the Ronsir frame. My vintage ones are really quite heavy to wear.

And yes, of course you should bring your concerns to the company. At least you might get an answer as to why the glasses are how they are.

bk

Sounds reasonable. For what it's worth, I've been wearing mine for our years now. I had to have a leg replaced on one pair, due to my own handling rather than anything wrong with the manufacture. Never had a problem with the bridge, though I've never put it under the sort of stress that bending it with my hands would occasion.

seabass

Call Me a Cab
I have been wearing these for a while & my last pair i got last december does seem flimsy compared to my past pairs & i have been wondering why. It does affect my vision since the lenses do not stay put. i use progressives so you have to have the perfect fit and angal on your face,,, this new pair keeps moving....This Sucks

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Based on the suggestions in this thread, I have gone ahead and written Shuron. I'm including a redacted version of my letter below, as a point of reference for when they (hopefully) reply:

To Whom it May Concern:

My name is ______________ and I currently work as an optician in an eye practice in ____________, TX. As a longtime wearer of Shuron frames, I was greatly pleased that my office recently made a decision to begin carrying Ronsirs, Revelations, and Freeways, after a coincidental request by two patients for browline frames. Because of my experience with the brand, I was placed in charge of identifying and ordering the frames, and last week our first shipment came in to the office.

First allow me to say that my current pair of Shurons-- the Regis-- are by far the best rimless glasses I have ever had the pleasure of encountering. It is still a goal of mine for our office to carry them as a "workhorse" alternative to more delicate, "dressy" rimless glasses. Mine have endured grueling gym sessions, nature hikes, a mountain climb, and a car crash, not to mention the rigors of day-to-day wear. For the perfect combination of durability, comfort, and a look of classic refinement, the Regis cannot be beat by any other rimless frame on the market.

Now allow me to offer my analysis of the frames we received last week. It is my procedure that, upon checking in frames to be placed on the board, I examine them not only for possible damage sustained in transit but also for their overall quality-- durability, comfort, ease of adjustment, etc.

Upon inspecting the Freeways, I was proud to find the same combination of durability and style offered by the Regis. Though I have not subjected them to the kind of field-battery my Regis frames received, a thorough examination has demonstrated them to be of the same caliber construction. Despite their size they are much lighter weight than many other smaller plastic frames currently being offered by designer labels, and after trying them on, I can also say that they are much more comfortable. The keyhole bridge has clearly been designed to function as it was intended, rather than as a nifty design feature, another impressive accomplishment over more well known lines. I found the hinges to be tightly constructed yet smooth-opening, and the overall build of the frame quite solid.

All of this, however, leads me to my inspection of the Ronsirs and the Revelations. As they are essentially the same frame- constructed from the same materials, the same basic design, etc-- I will refer only to the Ronsir in my analysis. However, what I say applies to both models.

My first impression upon inspecting the tortoise/gold frames was the translucency of the brow portions-- the markings on the back of the brow are very easily seen through the front of the frame. While this is only a minor point of contention-- if someone is so close to you that you can read these numbers, the fact that they are visible is probably the last thing on your mind-- it is rare for me to encounter a frame with such translucency; and even when I do, such frames are usually of an exceptionally low quality.

Upon opening the temples of the Ronsirs, I found the hinges to be so tight that the frame began to bend. While the tightness of the hinges should be easily corrected by loosening them, it led me to the troubling discovery of the stability and durability of the bridge. Allow me to say here that while I am a strong individual I am not exceptionally strong, and the physical force I am able to exert with my upper body probably falls in line with that of the average adult male. However, with very little effort, I was able to bend the Ronsirs almost in half. This is a trait shared only by some of the most inexpensive frames I have encountered in my thirteen years of wearing, collecting, studying, and selling eyeglasses; which is to say the cheapest frames I have encountered. The bridge is so thin, so flimsy, that it appears to compromise the structural integrity of the entire frame; the simple act of opening the temples potentially upsets the frame's frontal adjustment. Having studied older Ronsirs from Shuron's "glory days" of the mid-20th-century, and even more recent models, there appears to be a significant change in the quality of the frame. I took my concerns to several other individuals who have years of hands-on expertise with vintage eyeglasses, including the members of an online community concerning vintage clothing and accessories, and have discovered other, similar concerns with what we all perceive as a change in quality from past Ronsirs.

I do not offer this letter as an attempt at a refund or a reimbursement; even after pointing out the lacking stability of the Ronsir's bridge, the model has still been a hit with our patients, and just today it was necessary for me to place an order for two additional Ronsirs to accommodate another patient's request. I found it necessary, rather, to write to you as a matter of personal concern and integrity. I have come to expect a certain "hardcore" quality from Shuron frames that I had hoped to offer our patients; I found it to be completely lacking in the Ronsir and the Revelation, and barring any future, specific requests for them, I cannot in good conscience suggest them to any future patients. This was certainly not what i expected when ordering these frames, and not what I expected from the Shuron name. A cursory examination of similar, competing styles demonstrated to me that this is a design issue apparently isolated to Shuron: The Ray-Ban Clubmaster has an exceptionally sturdy bridge; so does the POMY406, a recently discontinued knock-off of the Ronsir manufactured for Wal-Mart. That the company which designed, perfected, and put the Browline frame on the map could allow its own browlines to fall behind its competitors in quality is highly disappointing to me: as a consumer, as an aficionado of your frames, and as a supporter of your company.

It is my hope that this letter will at the very least lead to an assessment of the current quality of the Ronsir and its various brother/sister frames (Revelation, Nusir, etc). I still have a great deal of respect for your company and for several of its other products, and am interested in learning more about its history for my own interest and personal growth as an optician. Current eyewear trends are leaning more and more towards "retro" fashions, and with the glut of solid plastic frames on the market, a demand is slowly building for similarly retro alternatives; the browline is shaping up to be that alternative, and Shuron could once again explode onto the eyewear scene and recapture at least a piece of its former visibility. I would love to see this happen. It is my belief that cannot happen, though, with the current state of Ronsirs. I would hate to see Shuron not only miss this opportunity, but to fade into even further obscurity as the out-of-touch manufacturer of shoddy, third-rate frames.

Sincerely yours

53Effie

A-List Customer
Just a quick comment. I just received a pair of new Revelations today and they seem to be of good quality. They are as substantial as several pair of other glasses purchased locally that I have been wearing alternately. I had Shuron make the progressive lenses in plastic with anti-glare and anti-scratch coating and they got the prescription just right as well. I like them fine so far. I'll check back if any issues develop. I have really never handled any vintage Shurons; so, I can't make that type of comparison. I would add also that customer service was quite good. They were willing to spend time with me to get things right. So far, a good experience. We'll see how they hold up in light of what I have read above.

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Sir,

I'm very interested in your experience with your recent Revelations purchase. If I may ask, how tight did you find the hinges upon receiving them, and how would you gauge the pliability of the bridge? Also, if the brows are not black, how translucent would you say the plastic is? I do not mean to sound interrogative, I'm just genuinely curious so that I have a point of comparison so the shipment that I was in receipt of (we actually have another coming today or tomorrow).

I must agree, though, that Shuron's customer service department is excellent. In the past I've primarily dealt with a Mr. Rivers who I found to be exceptional in his courtesy and efficiency. Like I said, other than the browlines, all of the Shuron glasses I've handled have been of excellent quality, if not of a superior quality to other manufacturers' frames; this, combined with their longevity and reputation, is why I am surprised/concerned.

53Effie

A-List Customer
Good morning. My Revelations are black briar, so the are not transparent at all. The hinges are indeed pretty snug. I compared the bridge to another frame I have that has a tube shaped bridge rather than a flat surface. The Shurons are just slightly more flexible. There are no gaps on mine around the edges as you mentioned in your first post. Hopefully, they will be durable. They are comfortable and I like the style.

shindeco

A-List Customer
I've been wearing modern Ronsirs for tha past 3 years and have always been disappointed in their flimsiness. I keep my eyes open for a suitable replacement but no luck ...yet. Thanks for being a reputable voice to the company!

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Tomorrow's one week since I sent the e-mail. No response; though Shuron is usually quick to respond to inquiries at least with a notice of receipt. As I've been having difficulty with my e-mail server this previous week, would it be too soon to attempt to re-send through the company website? I don't want to come across as aggressive.

In re: suitable counterparts for the Ronsirs, there's always the Ray-Ban Clubman I and II, though I have limited experience with them and am still ambivalent about their nosepads. Anyone have any insight/input on wearing them as eyeglasses instead of suns?

I really wish POMY had not discontinued the browline frame I mention above; it was originally marketed as a women's sunglass frame, though there's nothing feminine about it. It's incredibly sturdy with a good, solid bridge and frames, tough, beautiful looking brows, and spring hinges, for those who like them. I've put forth some effort to try and contact a manufacturer about them, but it would appear that they're simply just another Wal-Mart brand name, and so I've given up hope on ever getting hold of anyone. I'll be very sad the day they inevitably bite the dust.

Edward

Bartender
Re Rayban Clubmasters.... I have a couple of pairs of those somewhere, from when I used to wear contacts frequently. Nice sunglasses. I prefer the Shurons, though - not least for the range of sizes available (Rayban, to the best of my knowledge, only do two overall widths, no other variables). FWIW, a number of opticians over the years have advised me that Raybans aren't worth paying for if you plan to install prescription lenses, as a significant proportion of what you pay for with the Bans is the quality of the lenses. Course, you could always go used - I've seen plenty of lenseless pairs on eBay...

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Re Rayban Clubmasters.... I have a couple of pairs of those somewhere, from when I used to wear contacts frequently. Nice sunglasses. I prefer the Shurons, though - not least for the range of sizes available (Rayban, to the best of my knowledge, only do two overall widths, no other variables). FWIW, a number of opticians over the years have advised me that Raybans aren't worth paying for if you plan to install prescription lenses, as a significant proportion of what you pay for with the Bans is the quality of the lenses. Course, you could always go used - I've seen plenty of lenseless pairs on eBay...

As far as Ray-Ban plastics go, they're my go-to choice for patients who want plastic eyeglasses and are planning on being rough/active with them. Of the current big-brand names on the market now in eyeglass frames, Ray-Ban is, by far, the toughest of the lot, and can take a licking. I say this from personal experience with my Ray-Ban Wayfarers, which only now after ~5 years of continuous use are in need of replacement. Even that's due to my own irresponsible attempts to adjust without the use of a heater. My only concern about the Clubmasters are the rather large, oddly-shaped nosepads, which cannot be interchanged with smaller styles by virtue of their construction; and I have no experience with adjusting the nosepieces of Ray-Bans, and don't know how "friendly" they are.

tonypaj

Practically Family
I have only a slight comment here. I wear daily a pair of turtle Ronsirs with Sidewinder temples. They match fine, the temples are the size of the notch on the side of the frames.

Last year I bought a black pair of Ronsirs and black Sidewinder temples, trying to get a backup non matching stuff. Well, they do not match, as the little notch on the side of the black pair of Ronsirs is smaller than on the turtle ones, for whatever reason, whereas the Sidewinder temples are the same size in both colors. As a result, I have a perfect pair of turtle mongrel glasses, and a less than ideal non-mongrel ones in black.

Last edited:

WideBrimm

A-List Customer

MisterGrey

Practically Family
Mr Grey, have you considered Art-Craft Optical as an alternative to Shuron? They have also been around a very long time, and probably manufacture most of the same vintage styles as does Shuron. http://www.artcraftoptical.com/. Their alternative to the Shuron Ronsirs would be Clubman Art-Rim frames. http://www.artcraftoptical.com/products/dress/legendarylooks/clubman.htm.

I've been wearing the Art-Craft Rimway style for some 20 years, and they are very well made. Top quality.

Sadly, it would appear that they no longer actually manfacture that frame-- they've apparently only got some odds-and-ends lying around the factory that they will sell as replacement/backup parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner