Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Shutter Island (2009)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Im looking forward to this one.

Im so sick of super hero movies, and there seem to be a slew of films coming out about regular people in dynamic situations. Gotta love post blockbuster season :)

LD

vintage68

Practically Family
Dang, you beat me to it. I just read about the film and was going to post about it.

The synopsis:

Leonardo DiCaprio’s new film is for anyone (and by anyone, I mean everyone) who enjoyed “The Departed.” The actor is teaming up again with Martin Scorsese for the new thriller “Shutter Island,” set to release in early October.

DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo play U.S. marshals investigating a hospital for the criminally insane. The fortress-like complex is on a remote, barren island off the Massachusetts coast and a murderess has mysteriously disappeared. Michelle Williams, Patricia Clarkson and Max Von Sydow also star in the film.

Yipee!

Story

I'll Lock Up
Shutter Island

Saw a preview for this last night - directed by Martin Scorsese. With Leonardo DiCaprio, Mark Ruffalo, Ben Kingsley.

shutterislandtrailer.jpg

Shutter-Island-Image-1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdumGs1qoXM
Drama is set in 1954, U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels is investigating the disappearance of a murderess who escaped from a hospital for the criminally insane and is presumed to be hiding on the remote Shutter Island.
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/shutterisland/

GearHead

One of the Regulars
It looks like it could be good but it seems to be one of those movies that will either be really good or really bad.
I'm looking foward to seeing it so hopefully it's a good one.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
This was supposed to come out in the Fall. Now it has been moved to the no-man's land of February 19th. Never a good sign. It indicates the studio is unhappy with the end product.

mummyjohn

Familiar Face
I really want a tie like the one that DiCaprio is wearing as they walk in at the beginning (it's in one of the pictures above; of course it'll be easier to see next time you're at the cinema).

Cricket

Practically Family
I wonder if this one is going to take the "insane in charge of the sane" route? But, wow, looks like it is going to be really good. I will def. see it.

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I'm thinking it will be an over-ripe metaphor for the imagined repression in the US in the 50's, with some allusions to (a grossly misunderstood) Kafka thrown in.

In other words, all the technical talent in the world in the service of abject stupidity.

If the first paragraph and a half or so catch your attention, maybe you want to read the rest of the review. Thrillers typically get much too easy a ride from reviewers in my view, so this is refreshing …

“Shutter Island” takes place off the coast of Massachusetts in 1954. I’m sorry, that should be OFF THE COAST OF MASSACHUSETTS! IN 1954! since every detail and incident in the movie, however minor, is subjected to frantic, almost demented (and not always unenjoyable) amplification. The wail of strangled cellos accompanies shots of the titular island, a sinister, rain-lashed outcropping that is home to a mental hospital for the CRIMINALLY INSANE! The color scheme is lurid, and the camera movements telegraph anxiety. Nothing is as it seems. Something TERRIBLE is afoot.

Sadly, that something turns out to be the movie itself, directed by Martin Scorsese and adapted by Laeta Kalogridis from a peculiar contraption of a thriller by Dennis Lehane.

http://movies.nytimes.com/2010/02/19/movies/19shutter.html?8dpc

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reading the book after Mystic River and the McKenzie/Genarro mysteries was a bit of a shock. From the trailer, the mood of the book seems to be reproduced spot on.

I saw Shutter Island this afternoon. The basic plot is rather simple: U.S. Marshals Teddy Daniels (Leonardo DiCaprio) and Chuck Aule (Mark Ruffalo) are sent to Shutter Island, a hospital for the criminally insane, to investigate the disappearance of a murderess. Obviously there's more to it than that, but I don't want to give anything away.

Although the film has been advertised as a thriller, it's really more of a mystery film. Like any good mystery film there are plenty of twists and turns along the way, unfolding in a manner that allows the audience to "play along" and try to figure it out. Though it's an interesting story, the pacing is l-e-a-d-e-n, especially if you're able to figure it out in the first 20 minutes (like I did). At two hours and 20 minutes the film is overly long, but there really aren't any story elements or scenes that could have been trimmed out without creating huge gaps in the story.

Fortunately, there's a lot to look at along the way. All of the performances are convincing and the sets are extremely atmospheric, and IMO they got the "look" of 1954 right (but I'm no expert).

If you like slow-moving mystery films that are beautifully shot, this is your film. If not, look elsewhere.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I'd consider it a 'watch twice' film. I saw it yesterday and tried to see too much (plot, acting, cinematography, lighting....). One thing I noticed, though, that not many others did, was the important role Leo's necktie played throughout. For one thing the film was set in 1954 and his tie was a few years out of fashion. It was given to him by his wife.

I thought the green screen backgrounds (rear-projection?) were purposely done to recreate a 1940s-50s thriller. I've read some comments in IMDb saying that it looked so fake, but I still say Scorsese did it knowingly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot