Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sideburns help?

johnnyelvis

New in Town
Anybody have any tips for trimming and styling good rockabilly sideburns a la Brian Setzer? I always get a few days growth, give it a shot and have to go short again because I mess it up. Should I not use one of those 5 blade razors? Any tips would be awesome, and post pictures while you are at it. I'd like to see what chops everyone is rockin'.

I use the sideburn trimmer on my Remington electric razor (about the only thing I use an electric razor for. Works really nice, I've got a diagonal rake on mine too and it's 'razor straight' no pun intended.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have a buzz-cutter, the type thats used for crew cuts. When you turn it over, it makes perfect straight lines. I use it to trim neck lines and side burns. Then just use your choice of shaver, razor or electric, to clean up underneath.

Corto

A-List Customer
Head down to your local Target and they'll have an aisle with old school trimmers and the newfangled kind which have built in guards. I generally sport rockabilly chops and I've found that any cheap, rechargeable adjustable trimmer will do. I think I have a rechargeable Remington with 5 or 6 built in guard settings. Mine cost somewhere in the neighborhood of ...$30-$40 if I remember correctly (but just remember, you get what you pay for...) Mine works just fine though.

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
If you mean the overall length of the sideburn I just use an Atra twin blade and I seem to be able to keep them pretty straight, but I don't really dwell on it. If you mean the overall trim, I take a regular hair brush and brush from the bottom up so they kind of stand straight out on the sides. Then I come from the top down with an Oster trimmer with about a 1/4 inch attachment. A pretty quick process overall.

I would describe mine as more of a Hank Williams Sr. rather than Setzer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff