Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Shinki Hikaku Horsehide

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Now what's your view on Shinki & Clayton HH .. oh wait .... what's your view on Shinki .... oh wait ... what's your view on Aero supplied Shinki :) n??????

I agree. I was thinking Shinki for my Vintage Racer, but heard about the Clayton Veg-Tanned HH and then saw a pic of the Clayton model in the Vintage Brown. Wow! Any more input to the Clayton HH?

Plumbline

One Too Many
'fessed up to what ?

Knowing Will Lauder ..... I've NEVER hidden that fact ( I know KEN, STEVE, AMANDA, GARY and many others In the Leather Jacket world), I counted him as my friend ( as did Ken, Lydia etc. in fact they much more so than I ) ??? His fall out with Aero, didn't stop me buying Aero leather jackets. Equally his subsequent criminal conviction for theft of products from his employer didn't stop me buying SB leather jackets, nor will the fact that he was a founder member of Alexander Leathers, stop me from buying SB jackets in the future. Does that make me just as bad as Will ..... clearly to some on here it does, however, I can live with their condemnation ..... this is an internet forum .... not real life :)

Anyway .... we digress ..... apologies to the OP for the thread hijack.

Seems this old dust up is destined to repeat itself ad nausea for eternity. This, in spite of the fact that Aero was able to recoop their stolen wares, put a nail in the coffin via a purging sale and the offending party was found guilty. It's beyond time to put this saga to bed. Aero and SB are separate entities and folks will patronize whomever they choose. Maybe both, like myself. The pointless arguing here does little to educate anyone on anything more than the past, which likely has little if any influence on their purchase or the future. I get that people are passionate, it's what makes this place great, but this argument has gone nowhere for as long as I've been reading about it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Shinki is shinki, that's the point: shinki is the product of a single tannery, therefore Aero shinki is SB shinki is Buzz Rickson shinki is Good Wear shinki ad nausea. As far as I can tell, only the likes of Buzz Rickson and perhaps Good Wear are able to specify to any extent the grain and finish of shinki hides - the rest of the makers have to take what they are given, which is probably what GW and BR are stipulating. For the record, my jacket was made of shinki samples taken in by Will, so they're just the same as you'd find in other makers - the quality of the jacket and design is a different matter.
Quite honestly, given the range of makers, styles and price-points on offer nowadays, why anyone would bother with a company like SB is beyond me. Really, though, SB could be giving away jackets and I'd still tell them to get lost. Let's face it, just look of the sort of person associated with and it, in turn, associates with...

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
I agree. I was thinking Shinki for my Vintage Racer, but heard about the Clayton Veg-Tanned HH and then saw a pic of the Clayton model in the Vintage Brown. Wow! Any more input to the Clayton HH?
I would say the clayton hh is cxl/bridle-like full of waxes/oils and smooth, but with some interesting grain characteristics. The grain striations are visible. I think someone did a blog posting of clayton hh and mentioned that is tanned, coloured, curried and then set. Currying i think involves hand applying waxes, tallows, oils and setting is like smoothing out /removing excess oil from the leather afterward. I suppose it is somewhat similiar to cxl except the oils in cxl are applied via their steam stuffing method before the coloring. I would say the clayton hh is most similar to uk bridle or cxl. I hope that helps!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I would say the clayton hh is cxl/bridle-like full of waxes/oils and smooth, but with some interesting grain characteristics. The grain striations are visible. I think someone did a blog posting of clayton hh and mentioned that is tanned, coloured, curried and then set. Currying i think involves hand applying waxes, tallows, oils and setting is like smoothing out /removing excess oil from the leather afterward. I suppose it is somewhat similiar to cxl except the oils in cxl are applied via their steam stuffing method before the coloring. I would say the clayton hh is most similar to uk bridle or cxl. I hope that helps!

It helps a bunch. Thanks!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I want this tasty curry:D beef chicken or horse don't matter

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure you could hand-apply waxes in any meaningful way. Horween use industrial-size cement mixers to force waxes etc into their leathers, so the idea that you could do the same by hand seemed unlikely.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure you could hand-apply waxes in any meaningful way. Horween use industrial-size cement mixers to force waxes etc into their leathers, so the idea that you could do the same by hand seemed unlikely.
Why would hand currying be unlikely?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Because you have to force the oils in - Horween literally tumble the skins with molten fats to get them combined.

Pdawg

One of the Regulars
Because you have to force the oils in - Horween literally tumble the skins with molten fats to get them combined.
I have seen videos where they do use hand tools to rub oils in. I mean just because horween uses that method doesn't necessarily preclude others to use that method.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
my stupid analogy again...
"you can hand knead a dough to make a bread... but in factory you use kneader machine because of the quantity and speed (and human labors wage)"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21