Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simmons Bilt Shinki Hikaku Horsehide

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
These 4 are all confirmed by the maker to be Shinki horsehide. John turned the same Brand of hide into 5 distinctive Jackets.

John said this Monarch labeled jacket was his among his first use of Shinki Horsehide.
pwkTnOa96jpOf0oYg85gKNKzsk_5UPJPgZmtfFX5HyqNhIph5aBqvHDfdoT3CJRTMZt3qc3hFqo=w922-h652-no

XlJsF9pnLHWV8635PcUlK4tibAU2c6yR82mgJ0dH7it1rbVwruT6YBahpn8pgbhFzeeaI7_Lq2pbLnZonuj5b4H63Bgxwl-sJgRLuw_eq7fPqyqZdtdTlSbZZNvtWI3fL5yXH5PchaPgKD4QV0yWhEouCi8rU1bFWRj5_Dx3fwpHRX982pGymF8i8Ci_ZwMCOuVN_v94WNEOPh48DKmYxvoR92DNXF0QZerJNNxVGHp0qFewGQIhwS3pUmIFlMIkX52mVR1Vkdo6IBxOj4kR-klcoo5zI3pemJth8DKATbrmEpcYOU-IFm3by7o4wI6ZbLad-7loc3pCNm5LT0UiGpOrzJmTjLff17YHJD_1fWUYZ7ICrLV-Fg4NBJv9TlrCb6Ewojbt9L7-e3uFnmxMDhAODG-0ZRn7t43xdtzH4G_LxOd3vJr2MtW619gENUydNyahayjib_lV1Sz5C6Bfy-epKPH4nA_l2nW-GAX5wyuqzxUVygs1w_ZMCY4vHw9b9KAfTwt8IVkaFyizVMfQLdcCOuivjBv3UCJsm4qWOQYudA-tlar10Yp5u-LeXr23gnzoU_kiKXTYdLScEmpUyYosE4ABsZMUYLUOBZMJoie6HS-N6pMjg8GubAUgmFiL8wLTIi38epUFa3KMX4lCOUHLnyzqO1ju4U99AS0jmy0=w982-h652-no

lZfbn_-abeMR3zAfwKnf5gwGYJXf4pF5mYZ4ngTs9t8s5PVNOY4AUjdRl77JHMAzZIQgCj3DiwZRkjfDXu_vDDANRl43pqNwt49vhjSet9m41-tqrgII1sB1sb8lwhDPmOhsdOvt7N9YXTedXIwbXtpmzEdIt274WA6YxDTgWOIAJ1GQRrBrQZT1EpRVc8vHdeTIl6xubwmPddJtD2NY9kmdaL0UY-DdD0AO_Ikeqs-kD47l_P-25xtWyAgLz4kBbToKfby14iFtavaMLEYRMvLimAU-EOJnZiZ2W7S9_JAZsjc-LTvsfYNF2_NMWvWFl2GgddBBeok9M06WkV-T8X0EaU1pGAewMl1R2dJmUPESCuS8ctCQKZequELMUURP5mcSIYBR0mVhNjRjj1bYarVNSDkNknHGvkE3V7D3he-tf6c2oCPCdzL9CRn0huRdTsS15vIWf-3faQmH27JSvINz2mnqPamV0q6R2wv_AjUmmt202IIgxs3n0I3s8trwRwM15FYPmfROsCjXLi-PpCzGJ_4bA5SWOLthOUl3qSfI0tfGm5083438Mnsb4nHMXcaHRGUsM5LmOAlkRHsxpuy3M3oPX4pld1Ghz8Z3Dg3ebSOwT8AJxQN06JgORFOAHucIcpDZAU58mMeidvktptTY4keRFefEjqs8B67yGnc=w982-h652-no

hdJeggD_b1c_727pzBuJNNMtWs1J5CgMkBhjf5glN6P-5OTIDTWvrPwQjOfLKAaYOOFSLXtl9bo=w1097-h652-no
wPhzyCbfV9WpLEcGqWqvFChPlCIG3VFwpU8YAD1N_qOcxFAd85W8uiHUGZuZ2kGbXGun3yvMNpsya9qiOfHUB9RD94pYS9DCkmuzy90csfjM8_0z7gwHrHuoWYfUnxTooGCxDMh79RUY7waaeh90o9BWze5XwmKf2WHvnQAv0J8nVehKvwyAGAw5SUJK6KtoCkR83B5Zprt9K-UkkEflbKoiK_GLRFTW1wAQaFHrZ9Dteh8dmePmJl5g_jq4jBT_3kRTs5zd7_y_mW00zFrE4g8qg8ch8ayUpK3aXgoQnWIZ6MjSpeGNUKoent29d3ZQ0qrQ8ZXOGa5chpB6YWzrhiIZiCAd_TK-RN1q07L6HNMOLvKJZFX3folXGiaxnZfUEXwKiYs0Mixx6ZX-ap6ub78eLPlWK5QbsmFjpeCCVYc2d-DEs-U_hlY64o_xY1K7ozHO1Aqt3gasLU9xfeUvMY9pMGOKjYe6oAWZXTyrL3VkzN_JjaDiONPeKnl-VCQls2Rc7hwSVe2R6UeBqddqFvWxlQxuJjLg6_5TF0NQm19FF8qfssxRotVZKHaJMA6WtZTDHnxMydgsj9CupOIL2thVzLC7_Fqf88B-v4dhkox6WQgV5om1bv9XC0HWT3iGv0rNBG5lRxXH56yCMFesqMw4j3dB_e7FsAvewbNdTck=w982-h652-no

devilish

A-List Customer
This is another of the reasons JC is so special and why he has a longer than normal wait list. He does a lot of experimenting with his hides and the finishing on them. Have had a couple long conversations with him on leathers in general, Shinki and the process of colouring and treating the hides after he gets them.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, coming up on my 1 yr. deposit and a couple weeks ago I started to check up on the eye candy again.

Here is the thread on the Poncho Barnes Jacket

KO0ENncBVFWq0MWkKvy1ppXFLBKqO8Boy3VtyvlLCMz2CKHGfxc5zJjrcr1E59oscgJpblB3BkhWeUAtXHFDZJBWdrdgyIWMSg=w1708-h960-no
vhl92zKSqmTXEM4TgGxtJj-fLPaGV9O0h9h_5-iFIdKrbMrPWB30qBj--FFLQx6MmyZtXYg1lm9REtr7Zkp_VZlxbyt0Gbg7SQ=w1708-h960-no
mFbhfmon0-w1GVUVGBNBEb8bHV8pPUk_9tGefwAX3viUDdaklCufdDbwJWJKRn6PbVMMQUf7gOKHktl6LcfPrdsqWZotjGnusw=w1708-h960-no

This is another of the reasons JC is so special and why he has a longer than normal wait list. He does a lot of experimenting with his hides and the finishing on them. Have had a couple long conversations with him on leathers in general, Shinki and the process of colouring and treating the hides after he gets them.

Thanks, exactly what I was trying to say with the pictures. The Hide is important, but what you do with it is more important.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
Hi guys,
I hope you've enjoyed Christmas! Thank you again for all your advices and I've realized now that most of the members here are contra SB and pro Aero or other more ethical makers. I had a lot of time to think about all your comments and to have another look at makers websites - even if it is too expensive for me, I can't help but my favorite jacket is the Himel Canuck in Medium Wax HH or Seal Brown HH - perhaps I need to save up money in order to afford it which can take 6-12 months. I have also noticed that the Aero 1920 work coat looks pretty much the same to me and I really hope that Himel hasn't copied the jacket from Aero like SB has done in so many cases? I suppose Himel also copied the Heron from Aero's Aeromarine then as I also like the Himel Heron? Canuck is my favourite one though. As this would be also unethical I'm also hesitant to save up money for an expensive jacket from an unethical maker like SB. Please advice (I hope Sloan as an Aero expert and SuperFluous as a Himel expert can help), because I'm really confused now.
Thank you again!
Kind Regards, Robbie

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Himel and Aero arrived at their jackets independently of each other: Himel had been doing their shawl collar for some time, when Ken Calder returned to run Aero and introduced the Aeromarine, based on a vintage jacket he had - it was a pattern he'd wanted Will, the then manager, to bring in but he wasn't up to the task.
With the Work Coat, it's based on a vintage German example that, I recall, a customer had asked them to copy.
So there's no issue of copying in relation to these jackets - the point about SB / AL is that Will had taken patterns home from Aero and copied them to help start up his own company.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
^ This. Himel and Aero may have been inspired by similar vintage jackets, but each company created its own unique repro pattern independent of the other. Moreover, each used a slightly different vintage jacket as their benchmark. Therefore, from an ethical standpoint, you are on solid ground with both companies. The situation with SB is rather unique from an ethical perspective.

Reactions: A-1
I have also noticed that the Aero 1920 work coat looks pretty much the same to me and I really hope that Himel hasn't copied the jacket from Aero like SB has done in so many cases? I suppose Himel also copied the Heron from Aero's Aeromarine then as I also like the Himel Heron? Canuck is my favourite one though. As this would be also unethical I'm also hesitant to save up money for an expensive jacket from an unethical maker like SB. Please advice (I hope Sloan as an Aero expert and SuperFluous as a Himel expert can help), because I'm really confused now.
Thank you again!
Kind Regards, Robbie

EDIT: Didn't see the above replies from Super and Sloan prior to posting mine so yeah, what they said...

Thing is, none of the jackets you've mentioned are truly original; 1920's Work Coat, Canuck, Aeromarine, etc. are all copies - to a higher or a lesser degree - of old jackets from the past. Repro makers will say they're inspired by these jackets but... Let's just say some are inspired more than the others. Which is not a bad thing at all 'cause we still get to enjoy those wonderful jackets. But no, they haven't copied from each other, just from the same jacket style. :3 Himel is the most unique of the crowd.

Problem with SB is that they actually work(ed) from the exact same cutting patterns that Aero had created which is literally copying. And stealing.

I'll also add something that believe is noteworthy; while Himel may be pricy, with them you do get the most unique take on the jacket, one that nobody else does. Which is a good thing as their jacket will always keep much of its value as a Himel original.

EDIT: Didn't see the above replies from Super and Sloan prior to posting mine so yeah, what they said...

Thing is, none of the jackets you've mentioned are truly original; 1920's Work Coat, Canuck, Aeromarine, etc. are all copies - to a higher or a lesser degree - of old jackets from the past. Repro makers will say they're inspired by these jackets but... Let's just say some are inspired more than the others. Which is not a bad thing at all 'cause we still get to enjoy those wonderful jackets. But no, they haven't copied from each other, just from the same jacket style. :3 Himel is the most unique of the crowd.

Problem with SB is that they actually work(ed) from the exact same cutting patterns that Aero had created which is literally copying. And stealing.

I'll also add something that believe is noteworthy; while Himel may be pricy, with them you do get the most unique take on the jacket, one that nobody else does. Which is a good thing as their jacket will always keep much of its value as a Himel original.
Agreed. DH does inject his own design elements into the common core, so to speak, of patterns we tend to love around here. I think if you're leaning toward DH or JC you are best served to wait/save, what have you to get there. There's a huge difference between a j-106 and an Avro and both are quite beautiful but if it's an Avro you are itching for, the j-106 probably won't scratch it.

tropicalbob

^ This. Himel and Aero may have been inspired by similar vintage jackets, but each company created its own unique repro pattern independent of the other. Moreover, each used a slightly different vintage jacket as their benchmark. Therefore, from an ethical standpoint, you are on solid ground with both companies. The situation with SB is rather unique from an ethical perspective.
To put it mildly.

Blackadder

If still not clear, my understanding is that a set of pattern are often cardboard which one follow to cut the leather. For vintage repro, while a "design/outlook" can be "copied" by using an original or from a few simple photos, there is still the need for the repro-maker to 1) determine the measurements for other sizes because they are unlikely to have the full set of sizes of the original and 2) factor in the average measurements of consumers in present time. So in the case of Aero, it is likely that the "mould" was stolen in stead of just a copy of the simple drawings without measurements.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21