Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simon James Cathcart/Cathcart London Problems

mullitt

Familiar Face
I'm hoping to get some impressions from others, but I've been buying from Simon James Cathcart/Cathcart London for years now and recently I have not had an order without a problem.
It first started with a shirt I bought that arrived with a big hole in it. They replaced it no questions asked, but just seemed odd to me that they'd allow something that damaged to ship out.
Then a few months later I pre-ordered a work shirt and striped work trousers. They shipped it about a month late and when it arrived I discovered they sent me the wrong size shirt. They also sent me an "apology gift" for shipping it late which was a belt that had a huge glob of glue stuck to it and was clearly garbage. At first they didn't want me to exchange the shirt and asked if it fit anyway (why would it?) and finally said they didn't have any of the size that I ordered and I could pick another shirt. I was not exactly happy about this but I picked a shirt and moved on.
That brings us to March, when I ordered their (in-stock according to their website) flannel camp shirt and buckle-back jeans. They didn't ship and after a couple of weeks I asked why they haven't sent them and they said the jeans were backordered and they would ship in 2 weeks. It has now been 2 months and I haven't received them and they aren't very speedy in replying to my emails. The jeans are still available to order on their website and have no indication of a wait time or a backorder status.
It might seem foolish for me to have placed another order, but for years I never had a problem with the company and found their customer service very helpful. Has anyone else here experienced any issues? Am I just unlucky? This is kind of a complaint thread but also a warning of what others might be getting into with this company.

Cocker

Practically Family
Never had any issue with SJC in the past, but my last order was 2 years ago. I'm on the verge of ordering a polo deco shirt and a pleated suit trousers from them, so we'll see if I have any issue. I'll keep you posted.

nejc_of_1930s

New in Town
Honestly, SJC is such hit or miss. Ive ordered my brown tweed King Cole suit from them about two years ago and it came just perfect, fast shipping and no issues whatsoever. But i recall i had some issues too, back in 2019 i ordered a pair of grey wool trousers that should fit me in the waist and lenght according to their size-the waist was fine but they were around 30cm too short (and no, i didnt mistake outseam for inseam). I also recall i bought their white summer suit and waistcoat last year from sale and got it with no issues, but last winter i did order their celullar zigzag polo (mostly for the fabric) which they didn't ship out for around 3 weeks, then replied to my email in about a week that they do not have that polo in stock and that i can pick some other one. I also have few mates who got their suits in totally wrong sizes and or in very questionable quality (especially their run of Nortfolk suits in moleskin). But so far i would say i didn't have particular experience not to order from them again, although i've noticed that their patterns and fabrics got worse and their prices got higher.

mullitt

Familiar Face
To give an update on the jeans:
I finally received them after over 2 months of waiting.
These were the Brakeman jeans, the high waisted cinch back ones. The pair I received were 2” smaller than the size chart on the website (16.5” half waist as opposed to 17.5”) with a 2” shorter inseam (32” as opposed to 34”). Interestingly the leather size patch said inseam 33 when the one on the website shows 34 as well. I wonder if they sent me an old pair or they were made incorrectly.
They did not want to take them back and acted as if they just didn’t fit, not a product that wasn’t as described. Eventually I got them to send me a return label. I am done buying from them.
Thankfully this did lead me to finding some of the same style jeans from the Scott Fraser Collection, and those have been exactly what I was looking for.

Edward

Bartender
My own experiences have been uniformly positive, though I'm sure it also helps to be relatively local in terms of if I needed to do any return shipping or every thought there was any risk of sizing being off. I did receive a wrong-sized polo I picked up last Autumn - only realised I'd been sent the wrong size when I opened it on a work trip six months later and discovered it was too small. I emailed the helpline to see if they had any more of those in stock with the intention of picking one up - they didn't have any left in that articular line, but offered (and followed through on) a replacement from the current line, with no quibble as to how long it took for me to spot. Which tbh I wouldn't have expected, so can't complain about that at all.

Prices did rise markedly at one point owing to a shift - occasioned by market demand / feedback - to production of some lines in England rather than the far East, but that seems to have dropped back now. What I've bought from them hasn't been cheap, but similarly priced, like for like, to most other brands I'd consider equivalent in terns of the clothes themselves.

mullitt

Familiar Face
I actually think the prices are pretty good if the quality was also good. I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt because I do wear the items I have more than any other modern brand.
It's not the end of the world to me if I'm sent the wrong size. When an item doesn't match a size chart, though, that's a very bad sign to me. They're the manufacturer, and they're a mostly online company.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I’ve been using SJC for years and have not had any problems thus far in any respect..sizing, quality or shipping dates. Received an email today previewing cord trews which are very tempting.

DanielPetmr

New in Town
I'm hoping to get some impressions from others, but I've been buying from Simon James Cathcart/Cathcart London for years now and recently I have not had an order without a problem.
It first started with a shirt I bought that arrived with a big hole in it. They replaced it no questions asked, but just seemed odd to me that they'd allow something that damaged to ship out.
Then a few months later I pre-ordered a work shirt and striped work trousers. They shipped it about a month late and when it arrived I discovered they sent me the wrong size shirt. They also sent me an "apology gift" for shipping it late which was a belt that had a huge glob of glue stuck to it and was clearly garbage. At first they didn't want me to exchange the shirt and asked if it fit anyway (why would it?) and finally said they didn't have any of the size that I ordered and I could pick another shirt. I was not exactly happy about this but I picked a shirt and moved on.
That brings us to March, when I ordered their (in-stock according to their website) flannel camp shirt and buckle-back jeans. They didn't ship and after a couple of weeks I asked why they haven't sent them and they said the jeans were backordered and they would ship in 2 weeks. It has now been 2 months and I haven't received them and they aren't very speedy in replying to my emails. The jeans are still available to order on their website and have no indication of a wait time or a backorder status.
It might seem foolish for me to have placed another order, but for years I never had a problem with the company and found their customer service very helpful. Has anyone else here experienced any issues? Am I just unlucky? This is kind of a complaint thread but also a warning of what others might be getting into with this company. Herzlich willkommen beim Online-Prozentrechner! Wenn Sie verschiedene Berechnungen in Bezug auf Prozente durchführen möchten, dann sind Sie hier genau an der richtigen Stelle. Unser benutzerfreundlicher Prozentrechner ermöglicht es Ihnen, schnell und präzise den Prozentsatz einer Zahl zu ermitteln prozentrechner-online, sowie die Addition oder Subtraktion eines bestimmten Prozentsatzes von einer Zahl vorzunehmen.
I would consider myself an aficionado of menswear from the silverscreen era, which I occasionally try to emulate or pick up in my attire. Also, I truly enjoy Ethan Wong's blogs and envy him for his possibility to wear vintage clothing, alas with 6'2" I am out of range for most vintage clothing. That said, I recently stumbled over the website of Simon James Cathcart, who has a number of 1930ies inspired garments, especially his sweaters, flannel trousers and suits which kind of caught my attention (with exception of their shoes, which - no offence intended - but just come across as too gaudy for my liking). The slacks and suits are of course very "vintage" in their cut and will stick out when worn in public, but I commit to having been tempted to try out the one or other garment just for kicks and for that occasional spree. Has anyone tried their clothing or has experience with it andcan comment on things like fit, appearance in real life, quality of craftsmanship and fabric, general value for money... you name it?

bn1966

I would consider myself an aficionado of menswear from the silverscreen era, which I occasionally try to emulate or pick up in my attire. Also, I truly enjoy Ethan Wong's blogs and envy him for his possibility to wear vintage clothing, alas with 6'2" I am out of range for most vintage clothing. That said, I recently stumbled over the website of Simon James Cathcart, who has a number of 1930ies inspired garments, especially his sweaters, flannel trousers and suits which kind of caught my attention (with exception of their shoes, which - no offence intended - but just come across as too gaudy for my liking). The slacks and suits are of course very "vintage" in their cut and will stick out when worn in public, but I commit to having been tempted to try out the one or other garment just for kicks and for that occasional spree. Has anyone tried their clothing or has experience with it andcan comment on things like fit, appearance in real life, quality of craftsmanship and fabric, general value for money... you name it?
I have been buying his attire for years and can affirm that it is of the most excellent quality and that customer service has been faultless. I’m currently looking to spend more ££££ with regard to his 2023 Winter collection…In fact today I wore two of his jackets in response to changing weather conditions

mullitt

Familiar Face
I’ve made my opinion known in this thread, but I’ve had the opposite experience.
Very bad quality control and customer service, items not matching stated measurements and unexplained delays. I would recommend shopping elsewhere.

Cocker

Practically Family
Ok, so I'm jumping back in now that the "saga" of my order is over!

So, as advised earlier in this threat, and as planned, I ordered one of their pleated suit trousers (Shepperton in Tan) and one deco polo in rust. The order arrived in less than five days in Belgium, with no customs fees (thanks to their prepaid taxes system!). After a quick fit test, the trousers were too big on me, and the polo... a tad on the small side! So I took contact with their customer services and they agreed on exchanging those items for the appropriate size. Return was done, they received the items last Friday, posted the correct sizes on Monday morning and I received everything yesterday. The polo is fitting like a charm, so does the trousers, which are now awaiting for the tailor to be over with hemming them.

So, to sum it up: this order was a breeze, and SJC's customer service was more than efficient for me!

Quick pic of the Deco Polo with their Big B Battle Jeans trousers:

1688724859586.png

Attachments

• 1688724862353.png
    1688724862353.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 44

Edward

Bartender
I have been buying his attire for years and can affirm that it is of the most excellent quality and that customer service has been faultless. I’m currently looking to spend more ££££ with regard to his 2023 Winter collection…In fact today I wore two of his jackets in response to changing weather conditions

Same experiences here. I'm wearing the light green 'Artisan' jacket today. Picked up a Shepperton suit as well, got to have the trousers hemmed yet. Some lovely stuff. I badly want the college jumper in the Winter collection, but it's out of my current budget. Maybe if I'm lucky with a sale later on.

I stopped by the pop-up in Notting Hill last week. (Rufus Sewell was in having a look around when I arrived, he seemed well interested in a lot of the stuff too.) I almost came away with a leather jacket on sale, but they only had my size left in the black. I would have bought it, but I already have several black leather jackets that it was just too close to to justify. The leather is lovely, though - a really nice, substantial but comfortable goathide. I'm very keen on one of their Grizzlies when they next are available. The tweed suits for the Winter collection are beautiful, especially the green. Can't stretch to it at the minute, but if I had the scratch I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. The new workwear suit looked great too, in the Vaughn. Same cut as the Shepperton, but a Winter weight hefty cotton vaughn stripe. It's too close to the one I have a few years ago, but if they bring it back next year in the brown and/or blue vaughn, I'll be on that like a shot. The cord stff looks really nice too. I'm tempted...

bn1966

Just ordered the Brakeman Cords & Jazz jumper which should both drop in Oct, took advantage of the 25% early order discount & will have something to look forwards to. Will have paid off the credit card too hopefully :)

bn1966

Same experiences here. I'm wearing the light green 'Artisan' jacket today. Picked up a Shepperton suit as well, got to have the trousers hemmed yet. Some lovely stuff. I badly want the college jumper in the Winter collection, but it's out of my current budget. Maybe if I'm lucky with a sale later on.

I stopped by the pop-up in Notting Hill last week. (Rufus Sewell was in having a look around when I arrived, he seemed well interested in a lot of the stuff too.) I almost came away with a leather jacket on sale, but they only had my size left in the black. I would have bought it, but I already have several black leather jackets that it was just too close to to justify. The leather is lovely, though - a really nice, substantial but comfortable goathide. I'm very keen on one of their Grizzlies when they next are available. The tweed suits for the Winter collection are beautiful, especially the green. Can't stretch to it at the minute, but if I had the scratch I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. The new workwear suit looked great too, in the Vaughn. Same cut as the Shepperton, but a Winter weight hefty cotton vaughn stripe. It's too close to the one I have a few years ago, but if they bring it back next year in the brown and/or blue vaughn, I'll be on that like a shot. The cord stff looks really nice too. I'm tempted...

Could spend some serious money Edward, thankfully their suits are too narrow in the shoulders for me. A few years ago I was in dialogue with Simon & couldn’t afford much due to several unexpected house bills & joked with him about it…a few days later an SJC silk neckerchief arrived gratis in the post courtesy of Simon..lovely touch :)

Edward

Bartender
Just ordered the Brakeman Cords & Jazz jumper which should both drop in Oct, took advantage of the 25% early order discount & will have something to look forwards to. Will have paid off the credit card too hopefully :)

Nice. I'm on for a jazz jumper to. I adore the look of the college v neck as well, but the made in England pricetag was just too rich for my blood.

bn1966

Nice. I'm on for a jazz jumper to. I adore the look of the college v neck as well, but the made in England pricetag was just too rich for my blood.
Chucked it all on a credit card…thankfully the college V neck isn’t my cup of char :) Loving the merino Jazz in those colours and cut Edward…

Cocker

Practically Family
My big grip with SJC's shirts/sweaters/jackets is that their sleeves are awfully short. Granted, I've got ape arms, but can make it somewhat work with a lot of brand. Here, it's no use.

BTW, ordered the Shepperton waistcoast in tan to go with the trousers. I have to go to a wedding in 2 weeks, seen the weather will be hot, those 2 coupled together with a nice spearpoint shirt and a tie should do the trick. I hope!

Edward

Bartender
My big grip with SJC's shirts/sweaters/jackets is that their sleeves are awfully short. Granted, I've got ape arms, but can make it somewhat work with a lot of brand. Here, it's no use.

BTW, ordered the Shepperton waistcoast in tan to go with the trousers. I have to go to a wedding in 2 weeks, seen the weather will be hot, those 2 coupled together with a nice spearpoint shirt and a tie should do the trick. I hope!

The Shepperton stuff is really nice. I'm hoping they keep that jacket in their rotation long term. I love both it and the beltback jacket they do in the suiting line. Nice to have the variation. Either or both in the vaughn stripe cotton in brown and/or blue for A/W 2024 would be fantastic.

I'd also love to see the Shepperton waistcoat rendered in a stout drill cotton, back same as the front, designed to be worn on its own in warmer weather as an alternative to a jacket.

Sleeve lengths have always been fine for me, but I'm an average size - in a Tyrwhitt shirt, I wear a 35" sleeve. It would be nice if Cathcart did offer a range of sleeve lengths, but I suspect the cost of that and economies of scale are still a bit beyond the size of the market for what is still, relatively speaking, a fairly young brand. (Tyrwhitt shirts are fantastic, though - the classic fit is perfect for all my vintage stuff. The only shame is that they don't vary beyond the classic Jermyn Street collar; if they would do a spearpoint with options eyelets, they'd be unbeatable on price. Collar shape aside, they go up to a 38" sleeve, worth trying if you haven't already.)

Edward

Bartender
Chucked it all on a credit card…thankfully the college V neck isn’t my cup of char :) Loving the merino Jazz in those colours and cut Edward…

Yeah, I have mine on a paypal 3 in 1.... that's become a dangerous thing, that! The College V is totally something I would wear to the office in Winter, but I'll have to wait for the Far East version. TBH, I'd also love it to be rendered in cotton knit - I hate spending money on nice knitwear and then having it get mothed.... The Jazz is another animal, more to my eye early 30s(? the College loos very 20s to me). I like it a lot, though. I know Simon was working up those as an idea for a long time, and it's nice to see it come to fruition. The brand is barely just over a decade old now, but it's really developed a strong sense of its own identity.

Cocker

Practically Family
Collar shape aside, they go up to a 38" sleeve, worth trying if you haven't already.
This is noted, thanks Edward! So far, the only viable option I found in spearpoints is Revival Vintage. The quality is good, the sleeves are about long enough (at least not so short that it would be looking off), my only gripe is that their price went up a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk