Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Simple Day dress pattern

kerry

One of the Regulars
Can anyone suggest a simple day dress pattern? 30s or 40s inspired. I need something thats quite quick and easy to put together. Im deperately trying to get a basic wardrobe together on quite a tight budget. I have a few patterns but they are all quite complicated and very time consuming.
Thanks
Kerry xxxx

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I can't recommend the Swing Dress from Sense and Sensiblity enough! It looks great on a wide range of figures and is pretty easy to put together. I've made several. The pattern is on heavy white pattern, not typical pattern paper, so it will last a long time. Plus, the owner is pretty accessible for questions. (yes, that's me on her website, but I don't receive any benefit from recommending the pattern. I made the sample garment for her catalog photo shoot)
http://www.sensibility.com/pattern/swing.htm
swingpatterncover.jpg

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Not vintage, but inspired

I have both of these New Look patterns (a little more late 40's/50's):

Pattern 6723

6723.jpg

Pattern 6587 -- this one has a TON of ease built in (around 4 inches) which is why it looks baggy on the model, so I'd check the "finished size" measurement before trying it out. I'm making it a size smaller than I normally would.

6587.jpg

And this McCall's shirtdress pattern M5378:

M5378.jpg

The New Look dress with the buttons would be pretty simple.

kerry

One of the Regulars
Thanks so much everyone.
Kamikat, Ive already got the swing dress pattern and it is lovely but I find it quite time consuming to make up.:eusa_doh: Ive only been dressmaking for a couple of years.

Swingtimegal, I like the look of the McCalls one with the shorter sleeves.

Myn. I am a uk 16/18 which I think is a vintage 20/22. I would ofcourse send you any postage costs.

Thanks again for all your help ladies
Kerry xxx

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
The short-sleeved view is exactly why I picked that pattern; I thought it looked very 40's. I'm glad to help out, and good luck with your wardrobe project!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Not a dress but...

May I suggest adding simple a line skirts for starters? You can find those on ebay easily. If there is a skirt you like on a dress, but the top looks too difficult, just make the skirt part. :) Pair it with a nice blouse with poof sleeves and you have yourself a lovely retro outfit!

kerry

One of the Regulars
LolitaHaze said:
May I suggest adding simple a line skirts for starters? You can find those on ebay easily. If there is a skirt you like on a dress, but the top looks too difficult, just make the skirt part. :) Pair it with a nice blouse with poof sleeves and you have yourself a lovely retro outfit!

Thanks Lolita:)

Honey Doll

Practically Family
kerry said:
Can anyone suggest a simple day dress pattern? 30s or 40s inspired. I need something thats quite quick and easy to put together. Im deperately trying to get a basic wardrobe together on quite a tight budget. I have a few patterns but they are all quite complicated and very time consuming.
Thanks
Kerry xxxx

Kerry

What particular look do you have in mind? A button/down style?

Honey Doll

kerry

One of the Regulars
Hi Honey doll,
A button down would be fine:) I just want a simple dress to throw on to do the housework and run the kids to school and college in.
Kerry xxx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot