Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sing, sing, sing!!!

The real Henry

Practically Family
I know some of you are members of a Band and some even are singers and as I'm trying to become both it would be great to get some information.

What kind of instrumentation for a band is your favourite?

What's your favourite music style of the 30s and 40s?

and if you are a member of a band it would be great to see videos of you performing.

Regards,
Henrik

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Well, I'm no performer, but I know me music.
I can't say I have a favourite instrumentation, but the ones that immediately come to mind are those used by Raymond Scott's Quintette-Saxophone, trumpet, piano, drums, clarinet, bass and an assortment of more exotic instruments- and Artie Shaw's Gramercy Five, which was orignally the same as the quintette, only with a harpsichord instead of a piano.
And of course there's the standard reeds-brass-rhythm used by nearly all big bands, sometimes with the addition of a string section, a vibraphone, the rare accordion and sometimes even a harp. Then there were the latin bands with their marimbas, maracas, and bongos, in addition to the aforementioned combo. And of course, there's that great all-string ensemble of the Quintet of the Hot Club of France. Styles? I love 'em all. Swing, boogie woogie, blues, rhumba, conga, mambo, waltzes, crooners, small groups, hawaiian music, vocal groups ala Andrews sisters, symphonic jazz, hot jazz, dixieland.... but no western!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I like the straight standard-instrumentation bands of the thirties, but I've also got a fondness for unorthodox instruments being played in a jazz manner. There was a fellow by the name of Casper Reardon, for example, who achieved recognition circa 1937 playing jazz harp (and I don't mean harmonica, either, I mean a real standup harp such as is usually trilled for arpeggioes and such.) And don't forget Red Norvo and his hot xylophone!

Another great performer who is often forgotten is guitarist Eddie Lang. Listen to his work backing Bing Crosby's vocals on any number of late-twenties Paul Whiteman records for some very classy jazz, and then move on to his "Blue Four/Blue Six" records with Joe Venuti for even more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters