Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Siriusly Monotonous

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
If you subscribe to Sirius satellite radio, you probably know that there's a station that's gone from Swing Street to Standard Time to Siriusly Sinatra. I think it's gone downhill. I like Frank Sinatra, but I don't want to hear him five times an hour. If I did, I could just put on a CD. And a CD of good songs at that, instead of "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Old Oak Tree" and other duds that should have stayed in the archives.

I'd rather hear more variety; that's one reason I subscribed to satellite radio.

I'm going to e-mail Sirius and tell them what I think. Anything anyone would like to add?

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
HA! That explains it...

I'm an XM subscriber, and a couple of months ago we lost a channel called "Frank's Place" that played alot of Sinatra. Now it's renamed "High Standard" and still plays the occasional Sinatra song. By the way, there's not much variety on XM either. I rarely if ever hear Frank's most well-known songs, and the same thing is true of their stations that purport to play "classic rock" from the 60s and 70s. Seems like a lot of "flip side" stuff. I'm guessing it has to do with them not wanting to pay royalties on the popular stuff. Maybe someone here with knowledge of the industry can educate me as to whether the royalty for "My Way" is higher then "Yellow Ribbon."

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
They had XM at that evil place where I used to work,...:mad: All the stations had play lists that would get pretty old after 3 days or so. Like they would just play a big 3 hour tape over and over all day every day,....:deadhorse

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I think one of the DJs where I dance has a bigger collection of music than their entire standards channel.

So there's the Who channel, the Howard Stern Channel, the Elvis channel, the Martha Stewart Channel, et al., and now the Sinatra channel. One complaint I often hear about commercial radio is the lack of variety. I think they've taken branding too far.

I'd rather hear a 30s-40s channel that played not only Sinatra, but some early R&B, vintage Latin music, and some vintage country. The Sinatra channel has gone from a fairly swinging selection of music to almost an easy listening format. :mad:

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
The E-mail I Sent to Nancy Sinatra, Sirius DJ...

...went thus:

First, let me say that I love Frank Sinatra. His music (especially "That's Life" and "My Way") has encouraged me during rough times. I have so many CDs of his that I've even given some away. However, I've reached Sinatra saturation on channel 75. Meaning no disrespect to, I would like to hear more big bands, other singers and even vintage Latin (and fewer songs such as "Tie a Yellow Ribbon" that haven't really stood the test of time).​

I'll post a response if I receive one.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
I listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage channel mostly. It's a great channel if you like rock and roll. I really like the variety/mix on the channel. Alongside modern garge bands like The 45s, The Detroit Cobras, The Kaiser Chiefs, Moony Suzuki - they'll play songs from The Kinks, Otis Redding, Johnny Burnette, The Zombies, Chuck Berry, The Ramones, The Ronettes, etc. I love the fact that the station isn't pigeon-holed into one genre of music and you get a great mix (soul, 60s R&B, garage, rockabilly, and so on). It keeps it from getting old.

But having said that, I don't really listen to the other channels because of the mixes of music they play. I'd reallt like to see a channel like Radio Dismuke that plays 20s & 30s music, but I doubt that would be popular enough to stay afloat.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
BeBopBaby said:
I listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage channel mostly. It's a great channel if you like rock and roll. I really like the variety/mix on the channel. Alongside modern garge bands like The 45s, The Detroit Cobras, The Kaiser Chiefs, Moony Suzuki - they'll play songs from The Kinks, Otis Redding, Johnny Burnette, The Zombies, Chuck Berry, The Ramones, The Ronettes, etc. I love the fact that the station isn't pigeon-holed into one genre of music and you get a great mix (soul, 60s R&B, garage, rockabilly, and so on). It keeps it from getting old.

But having said that, I don't really listen to the other channels because of the mixes of music they play. I'd reallt like to see a channel like Radio Dismuke that plays 20s & 30s music, but I doubt that would be popular enough to stay afloat.

I'll give Little Steven's Underground Garage a try.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Monotony and repetition on satelite radio? So it's just like regular radio, only more expensive.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Mark G

A-List Customer
I'm an XM subscriber and I have to say it's still better than anything out there at the present, IMO. I hear songs I haven't heard in 30 years and ones by new artists that I would have never heard on FM. Yeah, it's got it's problems, but I just switch channels, for variety. I'm self employed and sometimes I'll hear a song and have to stop and listen.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Channel 527 on Comcast at home plays Swing and Big Band 24-7. I am happy with that.

In the car, I listen to talk radio, NPR, or my iPod.

Still, I thought Satellite had more choice. My car stereo can receive satellite, but I never sought the subscription.

Parallel Guy

One of the Regulars
Maybe I'm not in my car enough, but I really enjoy Sirius. I've got pop, country, jazz, and even rap and just punch a button when I'm tired of genre. I absolutely hate commericials and was about to give up on radio completely until this came along. It's well worth my money.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I cancelled my subscription to Sirius last night after I found a couple of good local stations. The selection on the dial seems to have improved over the last few years. Last night I listened to a few hours of Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Count Basie, et al. They even played some stuff from the 20s. Two of the good stations I found are listener supported, so I'll do my bit and send them the money I used to send to Sirius.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Parallel Guy said:
Maybe I'm not in my car enough, but I really enjoy Sirius. I've got pop, country, jazz, and even rap and just punch a button when I'm tired of genre. I absolutely hate commericials and was about to give up on radio completely until this came along. It's well worth my money.

I had Sirius on a road trip a few years ago. It was nice to have. My father and I both liked the 50s station and we could get weather reports that coincided with the highway and part of the state, not the county.

However, Sirius replaced my receiver, under warranty, with a piece of junk that I couldn't use in my car. I had listened to it quite a bit while driving. Listening to commercial radio when I run errands--I'm not making this up--I can run errands and hear nothing but commercials.

My plan is to make tapes of some of the terrific music programs I've found on local stations and play them in the car when I run errands on Saturdays while the stations are playing lots and lots of commercials.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Oh man, Franks's place is gone? Shows you how much I listen to my XM. I have a home kit, so I sometimes listen to at home and my Directv uses XM for their music stations. Makes for nice background music. I love the 50s stations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner